New GBTA : looking ragged to me but wanted some expert help

jsiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I have a new GBTA that has been in my DT for over a week. He is settled in nicely but doesn't look very healthy to me. See pics below. Any thoughts or suggestions? Or am I worrying too much?

And yes that is a tomato clown molesting the heck out of it. He is a refuge from my sister in laws house taking up permanent residence in my tank.

41abbd1f4233c3cc716ade8604f42eda_thumb.jpg

66620e80a1890ee988a15bc88ff966bb_thumb.jpg

fc4b0896a66811a1d8ea24066a8772fd_thumb.jpg

OP
OP
jsiker

jsiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 4 months old. Live sand, dry rock with some smaller live rock to seed.

Amm - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5-10
Temp = 77
PH 8.2
dkh = 8

I have the other test kits on order so don't know calc/mag or phosphate levels yet.

I know the tank is probably a bit young for a nem so it is probably having issues getting settled, but at this point it's the oldest tank I have to put it in.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 4 months old. Live sand, dry rock with some smaller live rock to seed.

Amm - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5-10
Temp = 77
PH 8.2
dkh = 8

I have the other test kits on order so don't know calc/mag or phosphate levels yet.

I know the tank is probably a bit young for a nem so it is probably having issues getting settled, but at this point it's the oldest tank I have to put it in.

My guess is the parameters are swinging; system hasn't matured yet. How often are you testing and with what kits? Your parameters look, ok, but i'm guessing your ALK is probably shifting a good bit. CA is kind of irrelevant with the nem, but would be nice to know the MG.

OP
OP
jsiker

jsiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea test kit. I test every 2-4 days, not every day. I'll probably be testing calc/mg and phosphate levels daily when I get the kits in as I think I do have a phosphate issue with all the hair algae I have going at the moment. I do have some 2 part to use once I know for sure that calc/alk is bouncing around. I will say that the ph/dkh has been pretty consistent at the numbers I posted above for the last 4 months.

OP
OP
jsiker

jsiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still a little thin, but that has led me to wonder is it really a BTA or an LTA. The tips never did bubble up at any point, they have always just looked long. Can you tell from the pics I posted or should I get some better shots tonight and upload them? If it is an LTA then I think it's doing ok. If it's a BTA then I'm worried. I got it as a package deal with a clown fish so the packaging didn't specify LTA or BTA.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still a little thin, but that has led me to wonder is it really a BTA or an LTA. The tips never did bubble up at any point, they have always just looked long. Can you tell from the pics I posted or should I get some better shots tonight and upload them? If it is an LTA then I think it's doing ok. If it's a BTA then I'm worried. I got it as a package deal with a clown fish so the packaging didn't specify LTA or BTA.

Keep in mind bubble like tentacles don't necessarily relate to overall health. Mine often shifts from very nice rounded bubbles to long tentacles throughout the day. There's much debate as to why this happens. So far, my guess is flow, but regardless I don't believe this is an issue for your Nem.

The tentacles do appear kind of thin, almost like a torch; just an observation.

OP
OP
jsiker

jsiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at some pics of torches, you could be correct. It's only been in the tank for 4 days now so it is still adjusting to my tank as well. I appreciate all the input from everyone. I'll take some more pictures tonight and post just to have an ongoing record of its status.

OP
OP
jsiker

jsiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some new pictures. The tentacles still look thin to me but is expanding and contracting all day and the clown is just happy as can be with the nem.

9450cf82e132668524a7ecc47444d748_thumb.jpg

7228368548b345629d8b686af12acd6f_thumb.jpg

80d57974538bb03af8bd2d4b72e1c1a0_thumb.jpg

b47bd23b61efb164ddaf4ce51e263dbf_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jsiker

jsiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the nem. Still looks about the same, but hasn't gotten worse.

Tank stats:

Temp 76.8
dkh 9.8
ph 8.2
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5-10
calc 500
mg 1400
phosphate 0
salt 1.025-1.026

I still haven't been able to get it to eat any bits of raw shrimp, but it could easily be getting something from everything else I'm feeding the fish.

Above I stated it was a tomato clown but I think it's actually a maroon.
I also have a valentini puffer, a yellow tang, 1 blue/green chromis, skunk cleaner shrimp, yellow watchman goby.
1 small frag of Zoa's that are still acclimating but opening well now (unknown type).

I honestly can't say why the nem isn't doing much better, but it is my first one so I'm just hoping that I'm doing things as best as I can.

nem_8-22-1.JPG
nem_8-22-2.JPG

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ALK went from 8-9.8, not sure if the MG is swinging, but my guess is that's your issue. Your ALK week to week should swing at most .5 in my experience. That's not an exact number, just a guideline. No matter how much you feed, improve lighting, flow, etc none of it is going to help with your parameters swinging like that. Signs of a young system not ready for that creature. If it was me, I'd return it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back