New Gigantea

Kevin Padgett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got lucky and found a beautiful 6 inch Gig last week. It was sold to me by Golden Basket Reef out of Oregon. The owner was great to work with and top notch. Shipping was amazing and got to me (SC) in less than 18 hours! FedEx did an awesome job. He was sold as a 6 inch Purple Gig. Under my lights Hydra 52’s and a Prime. Gig has a Blue look to it. He was in GBR's care for about 6 weeks and went through a Cipro treatment. Since this is my first carpet I purchased some just in case I needed it. Turns out I don’t think I needed to. Gig came in right out of the box as a 3/4 grade. Within 2 hours of being in my tank he was a strong 1. Came in with the mouth looking like an outie belly button and quickly went back to normal in my tank. Only reason I wouldn’t give him a 0 is because tentacles are a little stubby still. Here are some pictures. Of course I wanted him front and center and he has since moved to the back of tank slightly under a ledge.

What do you guys think?

I think this Gig came in with @FarmerTy Gig that he posted about a month ago.

Wish me luck!

Gig.jpg Gig2.jpg

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture?
And I dont mean of FarmerTy

OP
OP
Kevin Padgett

Kevin Padgett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shot a quick video and uploaded it to Youtube today. My Gig has settled into a nice spot in front of the tank near the bottom. His foot is attached under a piece of rock. It has been 7 days so I decided to try and feed for the first time. It is hard to see because of the time lapse but I placed a thumb nail size piece of krill on the outer left side of him. He immediately started working it towards his mouth. The entire process took about 30 minutes. After he got the krill in his mouth you can see him expel 2 pieces of waste. Take a look. What do you guys think?

Short Video of Gig eating a piece of krill today

Also I was wondering if there was a time frame where you guys with long term Gigs felt comfortable about the Gig in your care? I am a nervous first time owner and I find myself checking on him 24/7! :oops:

gh0st

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re in the clear. Looks healthy. But from the first post you had him on rocks and in the vid he’s at the bottom. Bare bottom? And did he move or you moved him? My thing is that the more you leave them be. The quicker they acclimate. Good luck. Just be ready with that HT and cipro if things head south. Keep updating.

OP
OP
Kevin Padgett

Kevin Padgett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He moved down off the rocks. I haven’t moved him. I do have Cipro on standby if I ever need it. His foot is attached to the rock not the bare bottom.

OP
OP
Kevin Padgett

Kevin Padgett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN how long should I wait before introducing a pair of clowns to my Gig? He has been settled in and stationary for almost 2 weeks now.

OP
OP
Kevin Padgett

Kevin Padgett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is large enough so there should be no problem. Anytime is fine. Nice Gigantea.

Great to hear. Thank you for your response! Next I need to find a blue Gig like yours! Stunning!

You want to sell me one of yours?! :)

I would add them now... Clowns seemed help my gig settle even more.

I was hoping to hear that! Thanks

OP
OP
Kevin Padgett

Kevin Padgett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found these juvenile frostbite clownfish at a LFS. Pretty pumped to get them tomorrow. I’ll take pictures when I introduce them to my Gig.
1DF11F50-F9DE-41B0-8AA6-E00982990294.jpeg

OP
OP
Kevin Padgett

Kevin Padgett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75BA715C-F418-4BE1-8AAE-D40D53734EB9.jpeg

Frostbite Clowns look great! Turned out they were small about 1.5 inches which is great for my situation. 30 mins after I put them in they found the Gig and started swimming around him and looking at him. They did not touch him though. Hopefully soon!

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found these juvenile frostbite clownfish at a LFS. Pretty pumped to get them tomorrow. I’ll take pictures when I introduce them to my Gig.
1DF11F50-F9DE-41B0-8AA6-E00982990294.jpeg

This is exactly what mine looks like, I got it over a year ago (a pair) and were told they were “Flurry” Clowns. Makes sense that no picture of a Flurry Clown I’ve googled looks like mine!

OP
OP
Kevin Padgett

Kevin Padgett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what mine looks like, I got it over a year ago (a pair) and were told they were “Flurry” Clowns. Makes sense that no picture of a Flurry Clown I’ve googled looks like mine!

You have Frostbites. The more spots they have in their belt the better grade. Some people also call them Subzero if they have a lot of spots. One of the top designer clownfish in my opinion.:cool:

OP
OP
Kevin Padgett

Kevin Padgett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beyond excited to wake up to this!! Clowns were all in with the Gig! I think the pairing made the Gigs tentacles extend as well. They looked longer than ever before this afternoon. Clowns ate a bunch of Mysis and Krill and actually took the Gig some leftovers! Hince the exposed mouth in the video.

Sorry for my Purple video bombing. He is the grandpa of the tank and wants to follow me and talk everytime I get near the tank!

IMG_1625.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice clowns and anemone, but that Purple tang need a little more food or treatment for parasites.
Consider use something like this:

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%

Back