New Gold Torch- Should I Worry?

dylandionysius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Just got a new Aussie gold torch. Put it in yesterday around noon. It’s opened up a bit but I’m seeing a bit of its skeleton still. Should I be worried? All my other corals opened up far quicker than this guy. I did have him shipped. So that could be a contributing factor.
PH: 8.05
Alk:10
Calcium: 380 (getting that up)
Salinity: 1.025
Phos: .25
Nitrate: 5ppm

image.jpg

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just give it time. Torches tend to be sensitive when placed in a new environment. I would say at least give it 3 days and then possibly do a water change because of the the high phos

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tentacles should be waving gently, checking flow.
Maybe put him on a rock to get him slightly off 5he sand bed and some of the crawlies.

OP
OP
dylandionysius

dylandionysius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tentacles should be waving gently, checking flow.
Maybe put him on a rock to get him slightly off 5he sand bed and some of the crawlies.

I spoke with the retailer I bought him from. Recommended I do a dip. I dipped him and he was not very happy about it. Still closed up. I’ve heard they don’t ship well

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with the retailer I bought him from. Recommended I do a dip. I dipped him and he was not very happy about it. Still closed up. I’ve heard they don’t ship well
My green tip, gold tentacles opened up a couple days after shipping, intermittent flow, medium lighting, well off the sand bed.

OP
OP
dylandionysius

dylandionysius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Aussie torches still pull back from time to time after 4 years.
As long as it’s not in too much flow, don’t touch him.

F1A597C0-3CA6-4CFB-A9C0-8C427000F0FE.jpeg
Thank you! Haha, I sometimes have a tendency to fuss with my corals too much. I’ll let him acclimate for a few days. He was opening up more this morning before I dipped him.

OP
OP
dylandionysius

dylandionysius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note, is it normal for BTA and acans to shrink up at the end of the day? These guys do it without fail, super happy the rest of the day though.

image.jpg

durt.kobain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Just got a new Aussie gold torch. Put it in yesterday around noon. It’s opened up a bit but I’m seeing a bit of its skeleton still. Should I be worried? All my other corals opened up far quicker than this guy. I did have him shipped. So that could be a contributing factor.
PH: 8.05
Alk:10
Calcium: 380 (getting that up)
Salinity: 1.025
Phos: .25
Nitrate: 5ppm

image.jpg
Give it another dip and put it in a little higher flow.

OP
OP
dylandionysius

dylandionysius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just woke up this morning to flesh coming off in brown strands mi think it’s brown jelly disease.. what should I do? I dipped it shortly in hydrogen peroxide and freshwater.

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang how old is your tank? Also wherever you have bought it, what is their live stock policy?
Just woke up this morning to flesh coming off in brown strands mi think it’s brown jelly disease.. what should I do? I dipped it shortly in hydrogen peroxide and freshwater.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would ask for a refund or a replacement. Take plenty of pictures and send it to the retailer. They probably won't be happy about it because of the price of these beauties, but it's better than you being out the money.

I bought a aussie gold torch from WWC and it arrived dying with brown goo everywhere. I sent in a picture and they found me a replacement that was bigger than the original. Great customer service from those guys.

Anyways, don't wait for it to die fully, seek the refund now.

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would put it back in my torch looked worse when it got stung by a bta and bubble tip for a whole night. It even did the brown oze thing and survived

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back