New Gold Torch- Should I Worry?

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don’t want it to infect and kill every coral in my tank
I would isolate the torch in the tank away from corals just until the store responds back to you. Also whether the coral is gonna be sent towards the store or stay, I would do a big water change (50%) just increase so no other corals get infected

Forfoj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better pic

EB75ED99-50DD-4D35-9F62-9E7CB7194FB8.jpeg
If dipping the coral doesn't show pests I would keep it in and wait. I had a hammer once that stayed completely closed up for the first week before opening up.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don’t want it to infect and kill every coral in my tank

I think torches just give off that brown jelly when they are losing flesh(kinda like their blood). I don't think it's brown jelly disease. I could be wrong but I don't think it's the infectious stuff. I put my dying/dead torch in my tank until it was nothing but skeleton. But I was also very nervous the whole time. It's up to you, but I don't think torches come back from the point of liquefying into the brown goo. Might be better off removing it once a refund/replacement has been established.

OP
OP
dylandionysius

dylandionysius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think torches just give off that brown jelly when they are losing flesh(kinda like their blood). I don't think it's brown jelly disease. I could be wrong but I don't think it's the infectious stuff. I put my dying/dead torch in my tank until it was nothing but skeleton. But I was also very nervous the whole time. It's up to you, but I don't think torches come back from the point of liquefying into the brown goo. Might be better off removing it once a refund/replacement has been established.

that’s good to hear.. hopefully they honor a replacement policy. I’ve heard that they are reputable.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would running carbon help protect the rest of the tank from any toxins the torch might be putting off?

OP
OP
dylandionysius

dylandionysius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a lot of carbon.
so I did a hydrogen peroxide/RODI dip first.
then a very concentrated iodine dip With sea hem coral dip.

got a lot of the brown jelly off.. put the tattered remnants of that beautiful coral In an isolated section of the tank...

sent pics and story to Austin Aqua farms..

we will see how this goes.

RVA REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have any pics of the coral when it first arrived and or in the shipping bag?

OP
OP
dylandionysius

dylandionysius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I chatted with the owner. He said that he’s willing to give me credit towards my next order even though it’s past their DOA. I don’t know how much credit. But I guess some is better than none. Hopefully the rest of my corals aren’t affected.

RVA REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry I meant how did they ship it in the bag? Was it mounted to a plug in a deli cup? or just free floating? Was the water cloudy inside the bag and was any flesh/brown stuff hanging?

OP
OP
dylandionysius

dylandionysius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry I meant how did they ship it in the bag? Was it mounted to a plug in a deli cup? or just free floating? Was the water cloudy inside the bag and was any flesh/brown stuff hanging?

It was just free floating. The flesh wasn’t gross and brown yet. But it had receded from the edges of the specimen

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown stringy stuff, coming from the coral does not always mean brown jelly.
Since it’s retracted and new, it could be expelling some zoo as it is attempting to regulate it photosynthetic process.

Seems like a lot of dipping which they don’t like much.

Just place it in low flow area with light and don’t touch it

OP
OP
dylandionysius

dylandionysius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown stringy stuff, coming from the coral does not always mean brown jelly.
Since it’s retracted and new, it could be expelling some zoo as it is attempting to regulate it photosynthetic process.

Seems like a lot of dipping which they don’t like much.

Just place it in low flow area with light and don’t touch it

Agreed, but there was also jelly like mass on one section of the coral that didn't show up well in photos. Anyways, I totally agree with your sentiment. Put it in the corner with low light and low flow and forgetting about it. Quite a few of its tentacles burst from the H2O2 dipping. But I suppose there's still hope.

OP
OP
dylandionysius

dylandionysius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is rare that I have used a peroxide dip and only on things like zoos for persistent GHA.
Let’s see what happens.

yeah, I was pretty panicked. Didn’t like the prospect of nuking my whole tank. You never know though. Corals have come back from worse. Time will tell

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 66 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back