New guy from Clearwater

AlexKintner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

I am new to R2R, as I’m about to take the plunge back into the reef aquarium hobby. I built a tank in the ‘90s that I could only describe as a mixed Jaubert based FOWLR system. It was a plenum setup, but I ran a skimmer and had a sump full of bioballs. It was primarily fish-based, but I did have success with some softies. I was rather hopeless in controlling nitrates (short of massive water changes), but I loved that tank right until I abandoned it after a nasty crash that claimed my beloved Tomato Clown (along with most everything else).

Fast forward to today and I am ready to give this another go. With the wealth of information available today (from this place in particular), a little less work travel, and a healthier budget… I’m feeling confident. The plan is to educate myself for a few more months on new tech and methods before purchasing any equipment. That said, I think I might be honing in on a REEFER 350 or 425 as the framework for a ‘mixed’ setup.

I’m sure I’ll be posting more as I prepare to purchase… and will be sure to do a ‘build’ thread when the time comes.

BTW… my name is Todd (AlexKintner is a silly Jaws reference that I’ve been using forever). That’s Lucy in my avatar. She loves to swim, but needs the life jacket due to an extreme lack of buoyancy.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Todd!
giphy (1).gif
#WelcometoR2R

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

TreasureChest.gif

You’re right - this place is like finding a treasure chest!!!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd & Lucy.

You have found a great source of information at this site, as well as help and answers with specific questions you develop in your quest to set up a modern
reef tank. We have lots of anecdotal advice and even some real scientists and pro reef keepers mixed in.

(I usually have the right answers for most questions, but the community will kindly and gently set me straight if I have a lapse :) )

Welcome to Reef2Reef.

Not everyone is as confident as me, but we do have a lot of nice and truly knowledgeable folk and we are glad you have joined with us. I can’t wait for your new tank build threat!
Welcome again.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back