New Guy in Florida

woody62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, My wife replaced my 75" 4KTV with a 265 gallon fish tank. Im actually enjoying watching the fish more than today news. For the last few weeks ive learned a lot by searching the forum, still have tons more to learn and wanted to thank you all for sharing the experience and knowledge. Im at the point now I need to upgrade the lighting. This tank was bought used on Facebook Marketplace, the guy had sharks in the tank and now I want a reef/tang tank.

OP
OP
woody62

woody62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using the forum to learn as much as I can before asking questions. Want to say thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. A month ago I had a 75" 4KTV in my living room, now I have a 265 gallon saltwater tank. I found I enjoy watching fish more than todays news cycles. Our plan for the tank is coral SPS and tangs. Im looking for advice on lights. Tank is 84" wide, 24" depth and 30" deep water.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Radu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using the forum to learn as much as I can before asking questions. Want to say thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. A month ago I had a 75" 4KTV in my living room, now I have a 265 gallon saltwater tank. I found I enjoy watching fish more than todays news cycles. Our plan for the tank is coral SPS and tangs. Im looking for advice on lights. Tank is 84" wide, 24" depth and 30" deep water.
Great choice you will love a tang and SPS tank.

For lighting you are going to want to do a hybrid setup with T5's with ATI Blue Plus bulbs and LEDS.

The most popular are Kessil 360's Tuna Blue or Ecotech Radion Blue's.

The leds can be pricey and you can get away with only t5's if you get like an 8 bulb fixture. You can get a HO(High Output) T5 - 8 bulb fixture for $200 from hydroponic suppliers.

You don't need fancy dimming features that reef t5 lighting costs arm and a leg for, but you do need the blanket of light that the t5's give off compared to the led lights because SPS coral doesn't move around in the current and will cast shadows and kill off whats underneath if it only has a single point of light.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back