New Gyre 130 rotors noisier?

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just swapped out the original rotors on my Gyre 130 with the new 4-bladed ones, and they are kinda noisy - has anyone else noticed this?

Carlos@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use a clean set of cages? Did you swap the cages with the spare ones? If there is enough calcification inside the cages, the new propellers may rub against it. I would recommend giving the cages a good cleaning or swapping the dirty cages with the spare set that came in the block box.

OP
OP
L

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use a clean set of cages? Did you swap the cages with the spare ones? If there is enough calcification inside the cages, the new propellers may rub against it. I would recommend giving the cages a good cleaning or swapping the dirty cages with the spare set that came in the block box.

Thanks, I did use the new cages along with the new rotors.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine sounded of for a couple of days but got quieter afterwards. Make sure their seated well and straight. Might need new bearings?

OP
OP
L

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's just that the new design is not as quiet. I've let them settle in, swapped them back and forth with the originals, etc.

Carlos@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's just that the new design is not as quiet. I've let them settle in, swapped them back and forth with the originals, etc.

The new design is very quiet. We have them running here and cannot hear them. Also, if the design was flaw, then we would have many people complaining about the noise since the propellers have been out and shipping since summer 2015.

I have a feeling the cages may not be cleaned and the propeller is rubbing against the inner wall. Cleaning them with water/vinegar solution and toothbrush to remove all calcium buildup may do the trick.

OP
OP
L

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new design is very quiet. We have them running here and cannot hear them. Also, if the design was flaw, then we would have many people complaining about the noise since the propellers have been out and shipping since summer 2015.

I'm not saying they're super noisy or anything, just that they are noisier than the previous rotors. I have my Gyre in pulse mode, and I can hear it turning on and off when the room is quiet.

I have a feeling the cages may not be cleaned and the propeller is rubbing against the inner wall. Cleaning them with water/vinegar solution and toothbrush to remove all calcium buildup may do the trick.

Nope, been like that since I installed them with brand new cages.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are having issues with your Gyre, please head over to www.coralvue.com/support and submit a support ticket. One of the reps there will be able to help you.

Did it and done. CoralVue's customer service is fantastic! Hopefully the new controller being shipped fixes the issue.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back