New Hobbie Yikes

BrianC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,I live in Northern British Columbia, Canada, I have had a freshwater aquarium for 25 years and just recently purchased an XL525 from RedSea in January of this year.
Bad timing re-Covid 19, for the simple reason, I cant aquire fish or Coral for my tank as the airlines are refusing.
On that note not sure how my first go around will be? However I now have time to work out the bugs, one of them being Refractometers.
Nothing was making sense in regards to my Neptune System and My RedSea Refractometer, I spent many of hours researching Neptune forums just to hear people having issues with their Neptune Probe not matching the Refractometers.
I discovered my RedSea refractometer was losing its Calibration after 4 Hrs of sitting at room temp.
Once I learned this I calibrate it before each use and it matches perfectly with Neptune everytime.
Now my question, Is this Normal? are all refractometers having the same Issue? again I'm new to this.

Cheers

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
200.gif

I check calibration on mine daily, and probably have to adjust it once a week. It's super cheap but it works for me.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Brian

I won’t comment on the Neptune salinity probe but I have the Red Sea refractometer and it needs calibrating before every use, it’s very sensitive especially to temperature.

Welcome to R2R as well!

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,I live in Northern British Columbia, Canada, I have had a freshwater aquarium for 25 years and just recently purchased an XL525 from RedSea in January of this year.
Bad timing re-Covid 19, for the simple reason, I cant aquire fish or Coral for my tank as the airlines are refusing.
On that note not sure how my first go around will be? However I now have time to work out the bugs, one of them being Refractometers.
Nothing was making sense in regards to my Neptune System and My RedSea Refractometer, I spent many of hours researching Neptune forums just to hear people having issues with their Neptune Probe not matching the Refractometers.
I discovered my RedSea refractometer was losing its Calibration after 4 Hrs of sitting at room temp.
Once I learned this I calibrate it before each use and it matches perfectly with Neptune everytime.
Now my question, Is this Normal? are all refractometers having the same Issue? again I'm new to this.

Cheers
Welcome to R2R. I’m sure the knowledgable and helpful people here will have a solution for you.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheers
Key to this hobby is patience! It was probably perfect timing that way you didn't go coral crazy :) To answer your last question yes calibration is needed for most refractometer out of the box, it shouldn't take 4hrs though. Either way if you have it dialed in with your Neptune you should feel confident that it's giving you a proper reading.

Welcome to R2R! Make sure to start a build thread on your new thank!
dance theclub GIF by FC URBAN

Back