New ice cap worth my 65 I spent on it

• Total voters

Eb1air

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To all I just recently purchased a new ice cap salinity tester bc at my lfs owner who I trust a lot checked all my perameter and I found my salinity was 1.028 and my refractometer was reading 1.026 only did so bc my corals were not all happy n everything in my test kit was checking ok. So I went home and recalibrated the refractometer found it to be off. So I retested n found 1.028 now. So i slowly dropped it till i read 1.026 over a couple of days.not liking the situation So I figured it was time for something new. Ordered n Received the ice cap digital salinity tester to day n found my tank is at 1.024 little low but ok .but my refractometer was reading 1.030 I'm concerned about it don't know what is right so recalibrated the ice cap and read 1.024 again. I have heard a lot of good things about them but just wondering how many people use them and if there as accurate. N how long have you been trusting it... thanks for reading hope for responses.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also heard good things. Several people in my local club use them and all have reported good results

Meat locker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I just bought one for my new build. Still in the box. Hope I made a good choice.

OP
OP
E

Eb1air

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have to do a factory reset for it to read more accurate my refractometer is a cheaper end one. Should of purchased a known brand but anyways compared the readings n found .002 off of my refractometer (ice cap 1.024, refractometer 1.026) but I'm trusting the ice cap bc I tested multiple times last night n it stayed the same n my refractometer had to be calibrated every time 3very reading was different. I may just toss the refractometer. Hope more chime in to the post and know there experience with the ice cap

Meat locker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is junk. The temp is off by 4 degrees. I have nothing to compare the salinity to other than a 2 year old hygromemter.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy or make your own salinity calibration solution. Without it you can’t trust anything. Not the LFS, not icecap, not your refractometer. And if you buy, know that you’re trusting the company that is making the solution.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard issues and read some reviews on the Ice Cap and it seems they have or at least had accuracy issues. A good refractometer and calibration solution is my go to. I calibrate every month ish, always clean with ro water, dry off and store in the case, make sure the plastic lens moves freely, let the sample water sit for a few minutes on the lens before reading sg and use the same lighting you used when you calibrated it and always use that same light. These will help ensure accurate results with refractometer.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back