OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i have my vibrant ordered should be here this week and figured out that my ATO probe was putting stray volts in the water leading to corals releasing chemicals. My red cap while living and growing bleached on its ridges due to it and my digitata that was recovering while still growing the poylps have been withdrawn. hopefully with the issue resolved things get better.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an update for everyone as mentioned i ordered some vibrant to help with water clarity and nuisance algae, After one day the bubble algae turned clear and wrinkly and the strands of bryopsis are thinning but more strands are still growing, the makers of vibrant say it can take 8 weeks of vibrant to deal with bryopsis so i guess we will see as this time its growing from the skeleton of my hulk lord. My sps have not recovered from all the issues i've had since July but they haven't got worse, they are growing they just don't have the color they once did. My zoas are hit and miss I have lost one zoa group and another has lost polyps, the Dragon Eyes and Gorilla Nips are flourishing, Blueberry Pies are shrunken but seem to be recovering, The purple death paly now has five polyps, As for the Micromussa the Hulk Lord as mentioned before is got bryopsis growing from its skeleton and that seems to be irritating it but its not trying to overtake it at this time and the Hulk Lord does fully extend during the height of the day it's just withdrawing earlier than it use to and is withdrawing further than it use to, the other lord is doing fine and is developed several more polyps and i assume more skeleton underneath them. The Hammers are growing but the larger one has kinda abandoned a small section on its left side its like its moving away from something possibly the smaller hammer. that's it for coral updates now for an update on fish and inverts. As the only remaining fish Lightning the Platinum Clownfish is doing well and is the one that let me know about the current issue from the ATO as she jumped out of the tank even with the top on and landed on my hand. Since removing the ATO she has quit freaking out and stopped trying to jump out. I love the little dance she does when i show her the food container and enjoy it when she grabs a piece the same size as her and waits for it to get soggy so she can eat it(flakes). As for the inverts my scarlet hermit is still doing great as well as all my bumblebee snails, cerith snails, and the army of stomatellas that came out of nowhere, Fred the Pistol Shrimp has an entire tunnel network in the sand pit i left him when i removed the rest of the sand. Last but not least my pods population is still through the roof and i see them every night out on the glass working on any algae i may have missed. Well sorry for such a long update but as I only remember to update when I'm browsing the internet on my desktop these days i wanted to make sure to cover everything. P.S. I will upload some pics of the tank tomorrow.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again i apologize i need to find a way to get notifications from the webpage like i did with the app. But none the less i have found something of interest buried in a zoa.

20191121_190236.jpg

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whatever it is, scallop or clam, it seems common. I have one and maybe still have one in my 10G nano that also came with some zoas a while back. I did noticed it would move around on occasions. it's kool to have one. does not seem to damage anything other than bulldoze some zoas around for space i had noticed.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I realize I haven't really posted anything about the tank in a while but here I am and a Happy New Year to everyone. Well as youll see in the pics ill post i managed to save the red cap and the blue digitata, while the superman monti is just barely hanging on but its not lost any flesh or polyps in about 3 weeks so maybe theres hope yet i mean the red cap came back from being almost completely white and devoid of flesh and polyps at one point i thought it had died but kept it in the tank and its came roaring back with an inch of growth i the last two weeks alone. Unfortunately i have lost one of my two original zoa colonies due to aiptasia so i removed the rock they were on and disposed of ut so they couldnt infect the rest. Lightning the platinum clown is still doing and is very active in telling me its dinner time every evening. My crazy stomatella population has mostly died off as there is not alot of algae around for them all to eat. Ms.Scarlet the hermit crab has assasinated all but one of my cerith snails but the bumblebees and the conch i got from lfs when i was supposed to be getting a nassarius snail is dojng good but likes to move the zoas around even if i glue them. It moves them before the glue sets like as soon as they are done it comes over and checks things out and in the process pushes em around so i have given up and let him move them to whereever as long as they stay in the zoa garden designayeted area and as thats his home thats where they tend to stay. N ok recent sighti gs of Fred the pistol shrimp but I do hear the occasional click.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention went to a new LFS today and picked up some new coral 3 monti, 2 paly, and 1 zoa when they open up i will post pics.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last 2 coral are the new monti and yes i know i need to clean the outside of the tank I just finished maintenance and havent wiped down yet. And the one before them is the superman monti just hanging on.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dragon eyes even though the aforementioned conch stuffed them in a gap in rocks they are doing great and have phenomenal color.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i did a good job of getting things mostly without green or red besides the red and blue monti, but they were 3 for 50 or 20 a piece so yeah.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like all the new coral you got have green or red haha is that what you mean?
No i mean fhe green isnt the focal point except for one of the monti that has green, alot of the green in the photos is actually yellow in person and alot of the red looking is orange in person.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow over a month since last post well for what is my one year update as I started this thread on Feb. 10th last year and setup the tank the day before, I have both good news and bad news. Bad News due to my algae not being maintained i am having that large population of stomatella die off as there is not enough food for tham the hermit, the 3 bumblebees, and the cerith snails to share.
I also changed the light intensity and those two things combined lead to a cyano outbreak. With that said the cyano is actually being beneficial at this time as its been poping up using the overage in nutrients in an area of the tank then dying off and has so far avoided my coral and but I am going to increase my vibrant doses as it doesn't look all that appealing.
Unfortunately i am still battling aiptasia right now I only have one but its on a piece of rock critical to the stability of my scape so no removing without teardown and even then i would need it to go back in once done with the aiptasia. I pretty sure its too big for a peppermint shrimp and tanks too small for a file fish plus any fish i add would be bullied to death by my clownfish. So any suggestions other than these would be helpful.
As for good news The piece of superman monti is recovering slowly but surely, what had died down to just 2 polyps is now roughly 20 polyps and growing. Currently that's my issue with any of changes because my coral are growing very well and are holding color really great so I don't want to upset them unless i absolutely don't have to such as aiptasia encroaching on my coral or the cyano trying to cover up coral.
For the other coral the blue digitata which has been shatter into multiple pieces while trying to put it into the tank has finally let go the brown color and is its correct color. The redcap is nearing needing fragged as its reaching near the tanks glass again.
For the hammer corals the single head has not shown any sign of splitting but is growing its skeleton straight up. The three headed hammer is got two heads going up and toward the back of the tank while the third head is starting to grow its own skeleton out of the hole it came from.
The lords have doubled in size since I got them and have phenomenal color. The zoas and palys look great, and most are adding polyps almost daily. The three newer monti are growing at an insane rate even in the bottom of the tank.
As for the metallic green GSP it really hasn't grown at all the polyps it have are growing and healthy but it hasn't really added any new polyps.
Sorry for such a long post but here we are a year later and still going if only having a few natural issues. The important thing is the living creatures in the tank are healthy and growing.

Last edited:

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you're using your phone with the last post as it is all one very lengthy paragraph. I may be getting old as it does look hard to read so I just skimmed it ;) .

for the 1 aiptasia... have you tried using super gel glue and just smutter it to death or at least seal it in it's hole so that it die off. Otherwise you could consider Berghia Nudibranch. Those does most of the job but it's not 100%.

I know when I over feed using frozen food, aiptasia seems to multiple. with dry food, it keeps them stable as there is not much food for them.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not phone I just suck at writing/typing and don't think to break it up. I need to remember to use the preview and go back and break it up before i post.
Thanks for the tips ive been using glue but as soon as i think ive got it all another pops up. Ill see about nudia i know it wont get rid of it but it can keep it contained.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back