OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well during maintenance a few weeks ago I realized the sand was seriously trapping detritus, so during maintenance yesterday I removed most of the sand leaving some in back left corner for my pistol shrimp to live in and play with, I also changed my aquascape at this time and the included pic is the fts of the new scape. I really liked the look of this sand but had not expected "sand" to look more like gravel in size. This led to pockets of detritus sinking into gaps and while my nitrates would come down with waterchange they would be back up within a couple of days so I hope by removing most of it my nitrates are easier to keep in check and plus the bare bottom will help the pump keep things suspended and let the filter floss do its thing. But the upside to this impromptu rescape is i love how it turned out.
20190704_162345.jpeg

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Playing with my new zoom lens i picked up for ten bucks at walmart. I was about 4 foot from the tank any closer and it was useless. I think ill pick up the 3 pack with macro for 7 next time.
20190708_211930.jpeg
20190708_211842.jpeg
20190708_211838.jpeg
20190708_211834.jpeg
20190708_211826.jpeg

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i have added an ato to my system and got it set where i want it. Decided to do this because i am going on vacation and the person who can check on the house and tank are not able to go everyday as i live out in the sticks.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i have added an ato to my system and got it set where i want it. Decided to do this because i am going on vacation and the person who can check on the house and tank are not able to go everyday as i live out in the sticks.
oh yeah. once u try it....you will not go back due to convince.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well everyone I know its been awhile but since ive been back from vacation i have been busy with work and fixing my tank and getting my newest pet Jolly the leopard gecko settled in. In my next post I will talk about what has been going on and what ive been doing to fix it.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright starting back on the night I got back from vacay I discovered i had not got my ato adjusted correctly and it was letting the return pump chamber run low which caused the pump to produce massive amounts of micro bubbles. My clown fisb was very weak by the time i got home but is now back and doing good. Unfortunately along side this but possibly not related is a nitates spike to 80ppm also my salinity was up to 1.030, fortunately i have only loss one coral to all this my blue digitata which is mostly dead but could come back as the oringinal base is still alive with polyps coming out. The other coral struggling and i think it was the high salinirlty for it as it is super sensitive to salinity rises is the hulk lord but it is alive just withdrawn im hoping as ive gotten the salinity back to 1.024 slowly to keep from shocking anything and im getting the nitrates back on check with daily small waterchanges i will see it recover at least hopefully as it is my favorite coral. It did eat when fed some pellets directly. As far as nitrates the big noticeable is i came home to a massive clump of bryopsis but have thankfully been able to get rid of it as i removed the rock it was on and busted the piece it was on off. I still have red algae mat but ive had that since early days on two specific rocks and it hasnt spread. I do have a small tuft of gha growing but it is in check and not crazy. I have gotten the nitrates down from 80 to 40 and am continuing to waterchange daily to bring it back down to safe.

20190822_142605.jpg 20190822_142552.jpg

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to post that i also came back to some bubble algae next to my purple death paly i pulled the frag out and scrapped it off with out ruptering the bubbles.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering where you been. For having all that algae it sure looks pretty good. Sounds like you have an action plan in place.
Yeah outside the 2 corals i mentioned my others actually appear to be flourishing my larger hammer is being weird after it split while i was on vacay as it basically abandoned a piece of its skeleton at least the polyps did their is still flesh over the skeleton just no more polyps but considering it is now a heads instead of 2 is nice.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going on vacation or being away longer than a 2 days always make me nervous.

For example - with my last business trip, I somehow lost a full grown Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse. No body..no idea what happened. My reef caretaker don't even remember seeing the fish :eek: when feeding.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going on vacation or being away longer than a 2 days always make me nervous.

For example - with my last business trip, I somehow lost a full grown Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse. No body..no idea what happened. My reef caretaker don't even remember seeing the fish :eek: when feeding.
Yeah its the first time i have ever been away from one my tanks that long.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright everyone the water changes appear to be doing the trick that and my army of stomatellas that came out of no where is still growing. No green hair algae at all, Red mat algae almost gone, the hulk lord has recovered, and even though i thought it was a loss due to sheer amount of skeleton showing the blue digitata has reclaimed its skeleton and is working on recovering its color. The one issue i have now is the bubble algae has spread to several locations that are not easy to remove it from and the last emerald crab completely rearranged things.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back