OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand is shimmed. Sump is in place, wet, salty, and cooking with media from my established tank at 81°.

Lumber for the floor reinforcements is coming Wednesday. Tank is coming in Saturday.

Attachments

• IMG_8485.jpeg
    IMG_8485.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8487.jpeg
    IMG_8487.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8499.jpeg
    IMG_8499.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use this inkbird? The only downside I see is you can’t use redundant heaters like a lot of people do with tanks this size. The only other way I’ve found to control cooling without investing in a controller is a smart plug on a timer.

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also got some Marco rock in as seen in the last photo. Aquascaping might be my least favorite part of this hobby.

I’m starting to plan out my plumbing. As I said, this will be my first time plumbing a tank. I’ll have a wye check valve on either return line, but other than those, all other valves will be under the tank. A gate on the primary, a ball on the secondary and a ball on the short side of the return. Also a union on either end of the horizontal sections for disassembly. See the very crude sketch below.

Attachments

• IMG_8509.jpeg
    IMG_8509.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 26

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand is shimmed. Sump is in place, wet, salty, and cooking with media from my established tank at 81°.

Lumber for the floor reinforcements is coming Wednesday. Tank is coming in Saturday.
looks like you're planning sump front. what's going in the back? you have an extra foot width than mine but I did sump back with ATO reservoir upfront and skimmer waste collector left.

the rock scape is much easier when its dry and you can sit there and keep moving it etc...Mine is not glued but glad I got large rocks to fit together. I did have to adjust it last week due to growth rate to make the 3rd size cave.

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like you're planning sump front. what's going in the back? you have an extra foot width than mine but I did sump back with ATO reservoir upfront and skimmer waste collector left.

the rock scape is much easier when its dry and you can sit there and keep moving it etc...Mine is not glued but glad I got large rocks to fit together. I did have to adjust it last week due to growth rate to make the 3rd size cave.
Seems to me that having that extra foot of space in the front would make it hard to do anything in the sump, so yeah it’s slid forward as far as I could get it. Behind it on one side will be a PVC box that I’ll build for wiring/controllers. Ato and Kalk redevoir on the other side. I used the shelf that came with but put it up high so hand tools can go on that, and plumbing supports can attach to the bottom.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to me that having that extra foot of space in the front would make it hard to do anything in the sump, so yeah it’s slid forward as far as I could get it. Behind it on one side will be a PVC box that I’ll build for wiring/controllers. Ato and Kalk redevoir on the other side. I used the shelf that came with but put it up high so hand tools can go on that, and plumbing supports can attach to the bottom.
This 10 gal ATO Res is 10x15 for the footprint.

Attachments

• IMG_2410.jpeg
    IMG_2410.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the lumber arrived for the floor reinforcements and I started laying out the precise location of the tank. Turns out there’s both plumbing and HVAC blocking my supports that I didn’t realize were in the way before. Project is on hold.

Selling everything off and going with something smaller may be on the table.

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While working on moving things around so I can support the floor, I’ve ran into a couple other disappointments. I’m starting the think the overflow box might be too small to have a proper bean animal overflow. I’m not for sure yet but I haven’t been able to find an example of one yet.

A bigger disappointment yet is realizing that the back glass is 7/8” thick with the acrylic panel used for the weir, which eliminates most of the options for power heads.

One of my biggest peeves with my current setup is that I can’t mound power heads to the back panel. It probably would have been a dealbreaker if I had known about it sooner.

I looked back at IMs website and can’t find anywhere that the back thickness is listed, which would explain why I didn’t catch this before ordering.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While working on moving things around so I can support the floor, I’ve ran into a couple other disappointments. I’m starting the think the overflow box might be too small to have a proper bean animal overflow. I’m not for sure yet but I haven’t been able to find an example of one yet.

A bigger disappointment yet is realizing that the back glass is 7/8” thick with the acrylic panel used for the weir, which eliminates most of the options for power heads.

One of my biggest peeves with my current setup is that I can’t mound power heads to the back panel. It probably would have been a dealbreaker if I had known about it sooner.

I looked back at IMs website and can’t find anywhere that the back thickness is listed, which would explain why I didn’t catch this before ordering.
so you now would be looking at MP60, or suctions cups. I haven't tried but do both magnets need to be same pull? What about a much higher powered magnet in the back side on a Nero? Personally I don't mind my MP40's on the sides. I'd prefer side to side flow than everything blowing at the front. Don't fish like to swim into the current? I'd be looking at their tails all the time ;-)

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you now would be looking at MP60, or suctions cups. I haven't tried but do both magnets need to be same pull? What about a much higher powered magnet in the back side on a Nero? Personally I don't mind my MP40's on the sides. I'd prefer side to side flow than everything blowing at the front. Don't fish like to swim into the current? I'd be looking at their tails all the time ;-)
Yeah but MP 60s would be too much flow, and 4 to get flow throughout the tank is more than I’m willing to spend. Plus I’m not interested in any apature products. I watched horizon hobby do this with my other hobby, so I won’t be helping BRS do the same to this one.

What suction cup options are there? This is news to me.

I saw someone on your thread post about sea sweeps and tunze heads. That looking pretty good right now…

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I mention this is my least favorite part!

Attachments

• IMG_8569.jpeg
    IMG_8569.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8570.jpeg
    IMG_8570.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 8

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 Sea Sweeps with Tunze 6255's in my ext 170. 1 Sweep and a 6255 runs $100 more than a mp60. You would only need 2. They are not cheap but they are all the random flow you need. Cord runs through the sweep.
20240522_140910.jpg

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 Sea Sweeps with Tunze 6255's in my ext 170. 1 Sweep and a 6255 runs $100 more than a mp60. You would only need 2. They are not cheap but they are all the random flow you need. Cord runs through the sweep.
20240522_140910.jpg
glad you made contact. was getting ready to tag you on this.

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240522_140910.jpg
Heck with my shorter tank, the 6105’s should do it even. Thanks so much for sharing.

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The poop pipe is moved. Just need to get a couple straps on it. If I don’t break out in ecoli in a couple of days I’ll call it a success. HVAC tomorrow. Should have water in it by Monday!

Attachments

• IMG_8577.jpeg
    IMG_8577.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8578.jpeg
    IMG_8578.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of progress yesterday. Rock scape is done. My strategy was to stand rocks up on ends and create TP like structures. This means there is minimal contact points between the rock and the glass, so minimal places for detritus buildup. It also creates all kinds of caverns to swim through and hide in, and should allow for maxim flow.
IMG_8601.jpeg

IMG_8600.jpeg

IMG_8599.jpeg

IMG_8604.jpeg

IMG_8603.jpeg

IMG_8606.jpeg

IMG_8607.jpeg

The supporting structure is now complete. You could park a truck in my dining room.

IMG_8608.jpeg

IMG_8609.jpeg

IMG_8610.jpeg

And finally, water!

image.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back