New IM 50gal Lagoon Tank

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to score a new IM 50L tank only and need some suggestions on what equipment to use. If you are a planner and dreamer like me what would you do with it and what equipment would you put on this guy?

20230919_191051.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your plan? What kind of tank do you want to have / run? What livestock are you planning on caring for? :)

Start with that, then equipment is a concern afterwards! It's not all about the gear ;)

The low profile would make a good lagoon-style shallow reef maybe? Mangrove growing out the back? Tons of options really- it's about what you want to do!

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your plan? What kind of tank do you want to have / run? What livestock are you planning on caring for? :)

Start with that, then equipment is a concern afterwards! It's not all about the gear ;)

The low profile would make a good lagoon-style shallow reef maybe? Mangrove growing out the back? Tons of options really- it's about what you want to do!

SPS, Low fish, Bare bottom is what I have in my brain but this is a brain storming thread so....

Just wanted to see what other people thought if they were in the same position.

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like fun! Why no sand thou? just preference?
whats your budget? you ballin or you like me and selling soda cans? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like fun! Why no sand thou? just preference?
whats your budget? you ballin or you like me and selling soda cans? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I dont want to go all out but I have the means to not buy bottom shelf.

This tank is already not very high at 16" and taking up even an inch of that with sand is cutting into valuable space.

I also had it in my head to run this thing super clean so, sand just isnt there for me, more flow, easy to siphon out the gunk in the sump and the tank vs keeping it locked in and having to either vacuum sand or it just turning into a nightmare. I have a love hate relationship with sand. LOL

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont want to go all out but I have the means to not buy bottom shelf.

This tank is already not very high at 16" and taking up even an inch of that with sand is cutting into valuable space.

I also had it in my head to run this thing super clean so, sand just isnt there for me, more flow, easy to siphon out the gunk in the sump and the tank vs keeping it locked in and having to either vacuum sand or it just turning into a nightmare. I have a love hate relationship with sand. LOL
Kewl, fair enough.
I would recommend using Carib sea live rock ( thats what I used and love it ). I tried putting encruster's on my back wall for some color and it's working out great so far.
Go with your favorite colors too. maybe theme it?
As for equipment, keep it simple for now till the tank matures a bit, a skimmer, a good return pump like a Sicce. filter socks are good, a refugium for sure, and lights, I personally like Orphek and reef bright,

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kewl, fair enough.
I would recommend using Carib sea live rock ( thats what I used and love it ). I tried putting encruster's on my back wall for some color and it's working out great so far.
Go with your favorite colors too. maybe theme it?
As for equipment, keep it simple for now till the tank matures a bit, a skimmer, a good return pump like a Sicce. filter socks are good, a refugium for sure, and lights, I personally like Orphek and reef bright,

The Carib Sea route is most likely the way I am going to go with the rock. I dont like the white marco rock. I will also seed it with some real established live rock to speed up the process but hopefully mitigate the bad but still get the good stuff.

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Carib Sea route is most likely the way I am going to go with the rock. I dont like the white marco rock. I will also seed it with some real established live rock to speed up the process but hopefully mitigate the bad but still get the good stuff.
I like Mictobacter 7 and microblift Nite-out for seeding

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE the CaribSea LifeRock in my tank. Couldn't recommend it more - it makes scaping so easy and looks good from day one. That's exactly what I would use in a 50L

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is starting to look kinda like a normal reefers garage.... I think I have the sump settled on though. I am pretty dead set on the 60 breeder with the Marine Biosystems Kit. It seems to have everything I am looking for. I am not planning on running this thing with a lot of rock or any sand in the display so I want to incorporate an area much like one of my old tanks where I had baskets full of rubble rock in the sump that were easily removeable and I could take them out every now and then and give them a good shake in another tub to clean em up a bit. Also picking up a Reef Octopus classic 110 from a guy this weekend, not sold on it but for half price I cant pass it up.

Other than that I have been poking at light fixtures. I dont want to go overboard on this either and actaully really like the Nicrew50 that I am running now. I have not fully went off the deep end with that yet but I have been looking at Aquatic Life 24" T5 kit that has the opening for most LED fixtures to fit in. Anyone have any experience with these let me know.

Capture.JPG

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 41 43.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back