• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

New in box or never used

Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious, it seems that aquarists spend a lot of time buying equipment they never use only to put it up for sale here. Is there something I’m missing or do the posters really mean “first time offered by me”? Just curious. Another oddity is NIB when serial numbers on equipment and the box don’t match - beware is all I can say.

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have legitimately bought stuff with the intention of using it but then later on down the line I change plans and it was too late to return the item. Other times I have bought package deals and sold the items I was not interested in. Of course I can not speak for anyone other than me.

On that note I have bought brand new items for smoking deals and sold brand new items for smoking deals.

I think this is why the moderators tell us time and time again to only pay using PayPal "goods and services" so that if there is an issue you can attempt to get a refund by filing a claim with them against the seller

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've bought literally all my equipment from here (except my return pump and carx). I've spent and saved literally thousands of dollars in the process. I have had zero problems. I always look at the users join date, how many posts they have, and check if they seem to post like a reasonable person. If someone goes full tang police on a guy and threatens his life, I won't buy from that person. There are great deals here every day, so don't chase a bad situation. Wait for the next one.

Doing the above, I feel much safer buying things here than on Facebook or Craigslist.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same for me. But gotta do your research. And make realistic, fair offers for stuff. Don't be an ***** and try to low-ball cause you'll get nowhere with that other than tick the seller off.

OP
OP
Dub

Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. However, 4 of the last 5 posts state new!! A bit over done don’t you think?

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. However, 4 of the last 5 posts state new!! A bit over done don’t you think?
Not necessarily. Like @kenchilada, I have bought stuff from here over the past 7 or 8 years and saved thousands on NEW STUFF with no issues at all. Also consider people winning items in a variety of online and in person raffles, contests etc. then selling them for a little less cash to buy something that really need.

Reefguy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy and sell a lot on here and usually I buy whole setups locally for the live stock and stuff. especially if there is a few pieces of equipment I want or need. I then turn around and sell the rest to recoup most my money back. I always try my best to give an accurate description of stuff and never post something as new unless its like shrink wrapped even if it looks brand new.

leewish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold something new that I won during the holidays. I already had one. People may have also bought stuff discounted during Black Friday deals or wholesale and now flipping it.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've both bought and sold stuff on this site. I've gotten some great deals from great people. One time i backed out from a purchase because the communication from the seller didn't feel right and the ended up being a scammer. Glad i listened to my gut feeling!

wilsonline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are numerous possibilities. Like with my first attempt to set a reef tank. I went to college and had to sell everything before I even fill the tank up. **** happens. Amazing things happen too.
I have bought a ton of stuff here. Had minor issues here and there. But never lost money here.
On the other hand, I lost some money buying on eBay and OfferUp. You may find great deals on OfferUp, but be aware that you will also find scams, lots of scams there.
Like I bought a UV sterilizer described as 57 watts on eBay. Received, the bulb was bad. Had to buy the bulb and then see that it was a 40 watts UV. No return as it took more than 20 days. Right now I checked my Paypal and got to know that they won't cover those online person to person transactions. So I lost 500 bucks to some guy that sold me a bunch of items he posted on OfferUp. Things like AFS, Ecotech battery backup... In total, lost around 1000 dollars in the last year. Not one dollar was here.
So don't rely on Paypal, trust your feelings, don't ignore the red flags. But overall here and on ReefCntral, I only had good transactions, very opposite from eBay or OfferUp even though those sites offer some kind of protection.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've bought literally all my equipment from here (except my return pump and carx). I've spent and saved literally thousands of dollars in the process. I have had zero problems. I always look at the users join date, how many posts they have, and check if they seem to post like a reasonable person. If someone goes full tang police on a guy and threatens his life, I won't buy from that person. There are great deals here every day, so don't chase a bad situation. Wait for the next one.

Doing the above, I feel much safer buying things here than on Facebook or Craigslist.
Full Tang Police!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back