New-ish in NYC

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not new to the hobby, although it's probably been about 8 years since I had a tank. Moving into an apartment at the end of this month and it looks like I'll be getting a Reefer 250 (54G). I would much prefer a larger tank, and used to have a 175 bowfront, but the leasing company said I wouldn't have any issues with 50 gallons and I don't really want to push my luck too much.

My first question is what you guys would do in my situation. I have 28 days before I move, should I set up a tupperware container and start cycling rock immediately so that I can add the rock, some live sand, and fish/corals without much delay after moving day? I'm torn between not wanting the hassle now and not wanting to stare at a lifeless tank for a month after I move. Leaning towards starting to cycle now, but curious to hear some input.

I'm excited to be getting back into this and a lot has changed. Not needing halides is exciting, LED's seem like a dream. And powerheads have come so far. I'm not sure what I want to gear the tank towards yet. I have a soft spot for carpet anemones, but that restricts my fish options a lot. Maybe a clown harem tank with a few colorful carpets and some LPS.

Planning on black sand and I want an interesting rockscape. I also plan on ordering or building a 6" platform to go between the stand and floor to raise the whole system. I hate how low most tanks sit these days.

Last question (for now), do most people who get the reefer systems go with the "deluxe" setup? I haven't started to dive into equipment research yet.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
giphy (1).gif
#WelcometoR2R
I have no experience with red sea tanks, although I hope to one day:)

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd buy some buckets at home depot, some live rock and power heads and start cycling away. I do not have have experience with the RSR tanks, but many on this forum do. I'm sure they can help with that question. Welcome!
Deadpool Welcome.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Glad you’ve decided to dust off and rejoin the hobby!

Dusting.gif

If you have the space, time, and energy to move the rocks then, yes, start cycling now. Additionally, start reading the pinned threads in the New to Saltwater and Reef Aquariums sub-forum and check out the BRS 52 weeks of Reefing videos. Good luck!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tony and welcome to the forum.

If I'm in your place, I worry about moving and getting settled. THEN I get started on my tank. I understand that you want to get a head start on things, and why not? But do you really want to add moving water and live rock to your new apartment, along with whatever else you have to move?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back