Welcome to R2R!!
This is a Great place for info and Help

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome, moving water buckets in a NYC apt may be a PITA not only the pure effort (stairs/service elevator) but also the logistics of boxes that will be scattered everywhere until you have had a chance to unpack . Consider that before deciding to cycle before moving.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Tony. I can't blame you for wanting to get things stated. If it were me, I'd probably start cycling now and regret it later. I agree with you about raising the stand. The stand under my 125 is 40" and I love it. I don't know anything about RSR systems, but I'm sure you'll get all of the answers you're looking for.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not new to the hobby, although it's probably been about 8 years since I had a tank. Moving into an apartment at the end of this month and it looks like I'll be getting a Reefer 250 (54G). I would much prefer a larger tank, and used to have a 175 bowfront, but the leasing company said I wouldn't have any issues with 50 gallons and I don't really want to push my luck too much.

My first question is what you guys would do in my situation. I have 28 days before I move, should I set up a tupperware container and start cycling rock immediately so that I can add the rock, some live sand, and fish/corals without much delay after moving day? I'm torn between not wanting the hassle now and not wanting to stare at a lifeless tank for a month after I move. Leaning towards starting to cycle now, but curious to hear some input.

I'm excited to be getting back into this and a lot has changed. Not needing halides is exciting, LED's seem like a dream. And powerheads have come so far. I'm not sure what I want to gear the tank towards yet. I have a soft spot for carpet anemones, but that restricts my fish options a lot. Maybe a clown harem tank with a few colorful carpets and some LPS.

Planning on black sand and I want an interesting rockscape. I also plan on ordering or building a 6" platform to go between the stand and floor to raise the whole system. I hate how low most tanks sit these days.

Last question (for now), do most people who get the reefer systems go with the "deluxe" setup? I haven't started to dive into equipment research yet.

The Red Seas are great tanks. Most people don't go with the Deluxe, not because there is anything wrong with then, but because most people LOVE gear and the act of selecting equipment is as much or more fun than having a tank. The deluxe just switched to new lights.

The actual cycle doesn't take long, especially with things like bacterial in a bottle. Depending on what rock you use, the PO4 removal out of the rocks can be much longer.

Starring an empty tank for a month might be hard, but I'd still recommend running the tank with no lights for a month, avoiding pukani dry rock (to save time), adding a little food or ammonia + bacterial in a bottle to let it mature just a bit.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'd set up a Rubbermaid tub and seed/cycle rock and pre-prep everything prior to move. Set tank up and add a bacteria such as Fritz Turbozyme 900 and let tank run at least 3 weeks prior to initial stocking of fish/coral. Do Not let impulse or temptation get you as it Will Get You. There is nothing quick when it comes to saltwater and it will pay off if you display patience.

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses!

If you have the space, time, and energy to move the rocks then, yes, start cycling now. Additionally, start reading the pinned threads in the New to Saltwater and Reef Aquariums sub-forum and check out the BRS 52 weeks of Reefing videos. Good luck!

I've been torturing myself watching BRS stuff and Jake Adams and a few other youtube channels for a while. I definitely need to rewatch some of them and take notes now though. Cheers.

If I'm in your place, I worry about moving and getting settled. THEN I get started on my tank. I understand that you want to get a head start on things, and why not? But do you really want to add moving water and live rock to your new apartment, along with whatever else you have to move?

I'm thinking of just getting a 32 gallon bin, if I can save myself a few weeks of an empty tank then why not.

Welcome to R2R!! If you go with black sand be careful. Some members here have found some brands to be magnetic, and scratched their tanks using magnetic glass cleaners.

Are there any issues with the arag-alive caribbean black sand? Would imagine that to be safe.

welcome, moving water buckets in a NYC apt may be a PITA not only the pure effort (stairs/service elevator) but also the logistics of boxes that will be scattered everywhere until you have had a chance to unpack . Consider that before deciding to cycle before moving.

Seems like the hard work (my current fifth floor walkup) will mostly be a problem for the moving company I hire. But yes, I get where you're coming from. I am not looking to deal with multiple buckets. Just one 32G garbage bin filled with rock, a couple of powerheads, and a heater. Probably a second bin so that when I move I can drain most of the water from the rock bin and make it easier to transport the water/rock separately.

The Red Seas are great tanks. Most people don't go with the Deluxe, not because there is anything wrong with then, but because most people LOVE gear and the act of selecting equipment is as much or more fun than having a tank. The deluxe just switched to new lights.

I should have been more specific, it was more a question of whether the lights/skimmer? were discounted enough as part of the package to make them a no-brainer. But if I'm better off speccing out gear independently then I'm happy to go that route.

I'd set up a Rubbermaid tub and seed/cycle rock and pre-prep everything prior to move. Set tank up and add a bacteria such as Fritz Turbozyme 900 and let tank run at least 3 weeks prior to initial stocking of fish/coral. Do Not let impulse or temptation get you as it Will Get You. There is nothing quick when it comes to saltwater and it will pay off if you display patience.

Yeah, I'm not in a big rush, but that's why I'd like to get started. Who wants to see the perfect fish/invert/coral pop up for sale and not have a tank ready for it yet.

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, lease signed. I'm tempted to push my luck with a large tank, but maybe I'll start with a small one first and see how the resident manager likes me. Either way, I'm excited to get going.

Am I missing anything? (also I'll send a note to BRS to delay the rock a day relative to the other equipment):

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 5.06.59 PM.png

IMG_4434.JPG

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 5.02.27 PM.png

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back