NEW(ish) REEFER!

kevin318

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! COVID has forced me to start up (another) hobby!

I was a marine biologist at an aquarium for 4 years, 4 years ago. Since then I quit working at the aquarium to get my masters in environmental engineering.
Now that I have down time I am really missing getting my arms wet.

So, I bought a 40gallon setup off facebook marketplace and converting it from fresh to salt (all new equipment).

I decided to add a HOB overflow to convert the tank to a sump system.
As an aquarist, our sumps were extremely basic--so i am confused as to why these sumps for sale are so expensive.
these compartments are "cool" but completely unnecessary. just use a filter bag, and make sure your return pump is guarded by some floss.
That was our setup..... simple!

so if anyone can explain the benefit to purchasing a divided sump that costs $250+ that would be great because I am truly confused.
Congratulations for joining, welcome! I’m new too and already loving the vast amount of information available here!

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E3EE8F15-14F1-4BBC-BC8F-E43173F4CFB5.jpeg

most recent re-arrangement and probably final (for a month or until I get bored)
Also
QUESTION-
I added bacteria to my tank, and it almost fully cycled in 4 days, then I was an idiot an thought if I added more food, I’d get more bacteria and now my chems are worse 6 days later.
should I buy more bacteria? Wait two more days? I don’t know!!!
My local shop has an amazing deal on two mocha storms I have my eyes set on and I want to buy them before someone else snatched them up.

Reeferdude1888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R the sump I agree some sumps are just seriously overpriced that's why I diy mines compartment for skimmer other for cheato and 1 for return pump and just added a Diy turf scrubber .
Only cost the price of the glass, aquarium silicone,and some pipping and screen for the scrubber ,. Yes the clean cut look of the overpriced sump looks good but you can do it yourself for a fraction of the cost if you have the time and are capable of doing it each to there own.
But enjoy your reef what ever way to choose to build it .

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE! Got my first babies!!!
I ordered two mocha Vinci’s since those are the ones I REALLY wanted. But with all the China shipping being banned my LFS just isn’t getting anything in and when they are it’s very few.
sooooo. I got what they had, and I got a Valentini puffer and a yellow watchman goby.
THEY ARE PRECIOUS and I baby talked the heck out of them already. (Leaving the light off for them still for the next 24 so they can get acclimated)
7E3AE6ED-1284-4E24-BE07-1143A5CA83EE.jpeg
E2016759-BD31-4F67-85F5-C536B0EFB0AE.jpeg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back