New JBJ 28 has too much flow return nozzle option?

dross9615

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, yesterday I decided to swap out my fluval 32.5 for a 28 JBJ because I could not stand the set up due to scaping issues. Well the new tank has some issues I'd like to get some advice on. First the flow is way too high. I designed the scape as kind of like an island with all the rock (32LBS) in the middle. But those pumps are blowing everything around Ive tried pointing it high but it either is spraying straight out of the tank or still blowing everything around.

The sump area empties out faster than the water can return into it when both pumps are on and trust me there's enough water because I tried to fix it by adding more water and the display area just overflowed. I have each pump running in 40 sec intervals now but it still seems to be moving a good bit.

Also, the return nozzle keeps on slipping off I don't really want to glue it because I want to be able to easily clean or replace.

Any suggestions??

Would also like to get some suggestions on LED's because I am not a big fan of the stock lights at all. I will post pictures when I get off work.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the return tips flat like those on the Innovative marine AIO tanks? These may make the stream less forceful. What are you going to keep coral-wise? I run a Kessil 360 over my Nuvo 20.

OP
OP
D

dross9615

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the return tips flat like those on the Innovative marine AIO tanks? These may make the stream less forceful. What are you going to keep coral-wise? I run a Kessil 360 over my Nuvo 20.
Yep they’re the flat type ad they are still blowing everything all over the place.

I have some favia, Duncan’s, euphyllia, leptestrea, and some high end zoanthids for the most part

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Kessil would be a good light for your tank. Plenty of used ones about too. Increasing the diameter of the tips may help. Could use small ball valves to throttle back the pumps.

OP
OP
D

dross9615

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Kessil would be a good light for your tank. Plenty of used ones about too. Increasing the diameter of the tips may help. Could use small ball valves to throttle back the pumps.

I like that idea but my worry would be pushback on the pump causing excess wear?
And i am seriously considering the kessil just hoping I can find a deal. Hadn’t budgeted for a light because this one was told was the LED version…

OP
OP
D

dross9615

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D0A55A09-26D2-4D35-A6C4-DCC672BA664D.jpeg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that idea but my worry would be pushback on the pump causing excess wear?
And i am seriously considering the kessil just hoping I can find a deal. Hadn’t budgeted for a light because this one was told was the LED version…
As long as the valve is on the outlet side of the pump, it won't cause any damage. It's putting valves on inlet sides that cause problems.

I'm curious though...it would seem if you're running the JBJ as designed you shouldn't have an issue with the sump emptying out as those AIO tanks are usually well.

Edit - Ah...re-read your post..BOTH pumps on. Interesting...so they design for only one pump to be on at one time.

You can possibly add some loc-line or a Spin Stream (Innovative Marine) that will both provide some head loss and increase water movement/direction.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back