New leather corals

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some medium to largish sized leather coral yesterday. It's already been over 24hrs and they are still not expanding. One of them look limp and the other is not expanding and is a lot smaller than it's original size.

I have noticed when transporting that there is not much water, just enough to cover the coral through the 1hr transport. Is this the cause of the delay in acclimating to the tank? Or is it because just because corals of larger size take longer to acclimitize? (Ps, all the other lps, soft and fishes are healthy and expanding.)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is leather corals. They like to pout and through a leather hissy fit. They like moderate flow and I've got mine in moderate light. I bumped mine in the tank Monday night and it closed up and became all shiny. It'll shed in the next couple of days.

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is leather corals. They like to pout and through a leather hissy fit. They like moderate flow and I've got mine in moderate light. I bumped mine in the tank Monday night and it closed up and became all shiny. It'll shed in the next couple of days.
I have just now looked at the corals and saw a tiny cut in my mushroom shaped leather. The other leather is slightly more expanded so im not worried. However, the mushroom leather has no strong structure and is still very limp. Also, I don't see any shiny layers.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what type of flow is the limp one in. To high of flow will cause toadstool leather to bend as well. I believe you are talking about the toadstool. I always want to call I mushroom leather as well;)

Cut at the base is possibility were they tied it to the the plug/rock. A coral dip if you are conceded. I would give it a few days to adjust. The more you touch it the more it will through a leather tantrum

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what type of flow is the limp one in. To high of flow will cause toadstool leather to bend as well. I believe you are talking about the toadstool. I always want to call I mushroom leather as well;)

Cut at the base is possibility were they tied it to the the plug/rock. A coral dip if you are conceded. I would give it a few days to adjust. The more you touch it the more it will through a leather tantrum
Thx, I will just leave it as it is actually badly torn in the base in the back. The coral was transported with a decent sized rock, it could've been damaged when it was in transport or maybe they tried to make the troc smaller

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leather corals are often found in the intertidal in their natural environment so they're pretty accustomed to being out of the water for quite some time

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leather corals are often found in the intertidal in their natural environment so they're pretty accustomed to being out of the water for quite some time
Here is the update, the top has yellow areas and bubble forms where injury (cut) occured

15344144811441396659255693722063.jpg

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it more time. Sarcophytons are notorious for sulking sometimes for weeks on end. If it is still firm to the touch it’s okay. Once they go soft and mushy it’s over for them but they are very difficult to kill.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back