New Lepord Wrasse goes under rocks

TonyTPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new Leopard Wrasse I bag acclimate for 40 min then did a hour while he was in a hanging tank. She was swimng good while in the hanging tank. Once I released her into the tank she went right to the bottom of my rock and have not seen her since then. I have a 65 gallon tank all parameters check good. I have 4 clowns a six line Wrasse a coral beauty a bi color a lawnmower and a tail spot blannie. Lots of live rock and just starting my coral collection. Should I start moving rock to look for her? Bought online and it was shipped overnight. This is my first post and my first reef tank.

OP
OP
TonyTPA

TonyTPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
The 4 clowns are doing great. I have 2 for 3 months add the third after 2 weeks and the forth after a month.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tony, welcome to R2R.

Since you are new, allow me a couple of questions. How old is your tank? And did you do any research on the leopard wrasse before you bought it? They can be very difficult to keep. But at least for now, I would say yours is just hiding and adjusting to a new home. Give it a few days. And while you wait, do some research into what your new wrasse eats.

OP
OP
TonyTPA

TonyTPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 3 months old. I have done research I feed frozen mysis frozen Brian and LRS Nano reef. I also supplement with marine flake and pellets. I also have a HOB refrigum with red ogo and ceto with a growing pop population. I have a hob protein scrubber that works well. I have 2 Current USA IC LEDs set at 100% blue 30% white and 8% red and green. Two wave pumps at 70% one set to wave one to surge.
155006571551825216185363795267.jpg
in

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some wrasses might hide awhile. A week or 2 is not outside the norm.

Not a leopard wrasse but got my radiant wrasse to respond to fresh hatched brine and fresh roe. +1 to @Ron Reefman dont try to get it out of hiding.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There might be some aggression issues down the line with all the damsel fish(clowns are technically a damsel) and the two humbug damsel fish are amongst the more aggressive ones. Just something to keep in mind.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if she tries to come out shell probably be chased back in the rock by the six line. They do not mix well with other wrasses (fish). I dont know if shed hold her own to the damsles either.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new Leopard Wrasse I bag acclimate for 40 min then did a hour while he was in a hanging tank. She was swimng good while in the hanging tank. Once I released her into the tank she went right to the bottom of my rock and have not seen her since then. I have a 65 gallon tank all parameters check good. I have 4 clowns a six line Wrasse a coral beauty a bi color a lawnmower and a tail spot blannie. Lots of live rock and just starting my coral collection. Should I start moving rock to look for her? Bought online and it was shipped overnight. This is my first post and my first reef tank.

6 line wrasse is a non-starter for wrasse additions in a 65 gallon IMHO. Terrible at playing nice with Wrasses and not much better with other fish. That said it's not uncommon for a Leopard Wrasse to burrow in the sand for several days while adjusting.

OP
OP
TonyTPA

TonyTPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the six line has been doing very well with the other fish in the tank. I have had no issues and he has been there for 2 months. He has marked is territory in a cave in the rock that the Leopard would not even fit in. I got the Leopard at twice the size of the six line on purpose the research I did said there should be no problem in a 65 gallon tank. I am hopeful this works out if not I will have to move one of them to a new tank.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't go hunting for the wrasse. You will stress it further by doing so. Wrasses can stay hidden for days or even weeks. Leopard wrasses are notoriously bad shippers, so QT might have been best but what is done is done. Assuming the leopard does pop up in a few days, I will not be surprised if your six line doesn't chase it back into the sand (and it doesn't matter if the leopard wrasse is twice as large). They can certainly co-exist, but the concern is if your leopard can deal with the stress of shipping, introduction to a new tank, and dealing with a potential aggressor all at once...I give it about 20% chance that the leopard wrasse is alive after 2 weeks, but I hope yours makes it. They are beautiful fish.

Pauley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum and hobby!
Wrasses can hide for quite a while in your sand bed, especially if they are getting harassed. They are more likely to make brief appearances around dawn/dusk until they feel safe. I have multiple wrasses housed together-it can be somewhat hit or miss as to whether they’ll get along long term. I’ve had more success with several young wrasses, as they are all female and seem to be less interested in fighting. They will most likely eventually change sexes though. As for Six lines - they are kinda like damsels-they can be remarkably bossy for their size, especially once they’ve established real estate in a tank.

If you don’t have a good pod population, I’d recommend supplementing. Wrasses naturally eat foraminiferans, which you’ll have in a mature system (not sure how old your rock is). I’ve found that pods can serve as a temporary food source until you get the wrasses eating your food. Once they make the transition to prepared food, they are pretty much the biggest pigs in the tank.

My only advice is to make sure you don’t have anything that can be flipped over, and invest in a screen lid. Good luck!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the six line has been doing very well with the other fish in the tank. I have had no issues and he has been there for 2 months. He has marked is territory in a cave in the rock that the Leopard would not even fit in. I got the Leopard at twice the size of the six line on purpose the research I did said there should be no problem in a 65 gallon tank. I am hopeful this works out if not I will have to move one of them to a new tank.

It will be fine with other non wrasse fish. It usually will not tolerate another wrasse of any kind, especially in a tank the size of yours. Be prepared to intervene if you leave both wrasse in your tank. If you want to keep more than one wrasse, I would strongly urge you to rehome the 6 line.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The source you used for stocking I would not use in the future. I completely missed the six line when looking at your tank. But 65 gallons 2 pairs of clowns, a pair of aggressive damsel fish, a hawkfish, a bi color angel (there is a coral beauty too i think i see too) a six line. As these fish mature you are going to see a lot of aggression ime.

-Each dwarf angel depending on species is going to want 36” to 48” to call “mine” added as juveniles this can be mitigated sometimes.

-There are 4 anemone fish, i just dont see long term 2 pairs living harmoniously.

-in addition to the clowns theres a pair of damsel fish. These are even more aggressive than the clowns you have can be to other pairs.

-the longnose hawkfish in this tank aggression wise seems out of place. They are active and can eat very small fish is why they get the semi aggressive rating not like the territorial nature of the rest of the stocking.

OP
OP
TonyTPA

TonyTPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got home and can see her under a rock buried in the sand I am trying to determine if she is alive

OP
OP
TonyTPA

TonyTPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got home and can see her under a rock buried in sand it looks like she is breathing heavy. I turned around and she went deeper. I do plan to start a second larger tank soon and move some if these fish to that tank. Also u would like to add a anemone but I am not sure if the tank is ready. Next time I am thinking if buying a fish I will check on here. I have questioned every fish I have purchased. Even this one I looked at a 8 different sites and 10 threads some said yes the majority if what I looked at said yes the no was the majority.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back