new lights in....

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had time to get the new lighting system for my tank last night... it wasn't bad at all... took only about less than hour for the actual work and another hour messing around.. :lol:

the best part is my wifey helped me through it... that canoply was heavier than I expected.. well, actually I wanted my wife to participate with the upgrade... hehe.. she cleaned all the old bulbs and did some other things to help out... thank God for her.. :)

here's some before pics first...
Old_Canopy.jpg

here's the canopy stripped.. I also moved the moon light... this one is crappy.. I'm adding another 2 (1 watt) on the sides later..
Old_Canopy_stripped.jpg

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new canopy... sorry no top down shots...
12-27-06New_Canopy.jpg

New_Canopy_Screens.jpg

took off the crappy T-12's since they are the ones that gave me the red algae problem that choked some of my palys.... it took me a while to figure that out but since I turned them off completely the past week, my palys and zoas have been happier..

right now, I have 4 layers of screen in there on top of an eggcrate.... I had 5 but there was hardly any light penetrating so I took off one... I also took off all the screens out for a quick second and man, these DE's are bright as heck.. :D

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal, That reflector should run circles around the other. Just that will give you much better light.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on adding any actinics? I love the way my 14k's look without actinics.
possibly 2 24" T5's pure actinics... just for dawn/dusk effect.. I also plan on running without actinics for the most part... I might try running the actinics for an hour after the lights turns on and an hour before the lights turns off...

Good deal, That reflector should run circles around the other. Just that will give you much better light.
yeah.. man, what a difference.... I'm glad I switch...

Thanks again ficklefins.. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So is she fired up yet? Cant wait for pics!

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking stuff. I hope the light keeps your fragging tools busy!

yeah, same here... :)

right now, the tank is not very well lit... I just took off another sheet so I only have 3 sheets in there.... it seemed so dim with 4 sheets and some of the corals on the sides are closed and I'm confident it's because they weren't getting any lights... I'll see how they are tonight..

I think the upgraded lights and flow will do good in my tank... we'll see though..

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 33 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back