New long nose hawkfish any advice?

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had him about a week. By far the most social fish. He is eating brine and Mysis shrimp. Anything else I should know as far as diet etc?

0e249d732a21a3e31d928bcb1f1ead68.jpg

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our copperband butterfly gets minced clams.
The longnose hawkfish is right there getting plenty as well. ;-)

Awesome fish!

Larger ones are usually male. They start out female.
2 males will likely kill each other. :-/

Start your second fish in an acclimation box!
Our second attempt at pairing was a disaster. Original wanted to kill new fish while it was still in the box. Immediately returned to LFS for free. :-/ (Not one of our local stores that does store credit.)

Had 3 longnose in a 7 year period.

1st got 1, really liked it. 1 of the coolest personality fish out there. Had no clue but got lucky forming a pair with a new smaller one a year later. 3 years after that the tank crashed and we lost the small one.
The original larger one lived 5 years total in our tank. Was 3"+ when we got it.
Over a month it slowly stopped being 1st in line and started hiding more. I believe it lived out its natural lifespan for that type of fish. (One of the few we have had the privilege with. )

The new one was small but has exploded in growth in the past year eating clam bits. Didn't feed clams until we got the copperband. (Spoiled little brat, lol)
Growth is way faster than when we just fed the other 2 random quality frozen foods like mysis, calanus, etc.
Minced frozen clams, live would be even better, are like gold. :)

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our copperband butterfly gets minced clams.
The longnose hawkfish is right there getting plenty as well. ;-)

Awesome fish!

Larger ones are usually male. They start out female.
2 males will likely kill each other. :-/

Start your second fish in an acclimation box!
Our second attempt at pairing was a disaster. Original wanted to kill new fish while it was still in the box. Immediately returned to LFS for free. :-/ (Not one of our local stores that does store credit.)

Had 3 longnose in a 7 year period.

1st got 1, really liked it. 1 of the coolest personality fish out there. Had no clue but got lucky forming a pair with a new smaller one a year later. 3 years after that the tank crashed and we lost the small one.
The original larger one lived 5 years total in our tank. Was 3"+ when we got it.
Over a month it slowly stopped being 1st in line and started hiding more. I believe it lived out its natural lifespan for that type of fish. (One of the few we have had the privilege with. )

The new one was small but has exploded in growth in the past year eating clam bits. Didn't feed clams until we got the copperband. (Spoiled little brat, lol)
Growth is way faster than when we just fed the other 2 random quality frozen foods like mysis, calanus, etc.
Minced frozen clams, live would be even better, are like gold. :)

Very interesting! Sorry for the tank crash and loss of your hawkfish. I had a flame hawkfish not long ago that was the most skittish fish ever. I’d walk into my to office and he would dart to the back. He was the only thing in the tank. Pretty fish but just wasn’t working. This one is way different in personality. I walk up to the tank and he starts swimming and begging for food. Interesting how they start out as females and progress into males. There is always such fascinating aspects of all marine animals! So cool!

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you have a lid. Mine turned into fish Jerky on the floor. They are prone to suicide.

Sorry about your loss! I read that about that! I got a lid after I lost my jawfish due to jumping out. And I had a lid on, but there was a tiny crack and I’ll be darned if he didn’t find that small crack and jump out. :(

Anyway, (hawkey puck - the new long nose) should be safe.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely fish do try a pair, the behaviours are wonderful to watch. The only thing I would say is they have surprising large mouths, mine used to grab the small Retrofaciatus chromis and carry them round the tank like a dog with a bone, they didn't kill the chromis but it was alarming.

Here's mine
hawkfish.jpg

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely fish do try a pair, the behaviours are wonderful to watch. The only thing I would say is they have surprising large mouths, mine used to grab the small Retrofaciatus chromis and carry them round the tank like a dog with a bone, they didn't kill the chromis but it was alarming.

Here's mine
hawkfish.jpg
Wow, beautiful! Thanks for sharing the picture and experience! I am for sure going to try to pair.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back