New, lost, Overwhelmed and Excited.

Hello all,
I am brand new and have not purchased anything yet. A saltwater aquarium is something I have thought about off and on for a VERY long time (decades). I am finally ready to pull the trigger and dive in, after doing plenty of research. I know that eventually I will want a reef setup and I'm looking to start with at least a 75 gallon tank, up to 90 possibly. I know most of you will say start smaller, but I know me and will regret not getting at least a 75 to start. I would like to start with rocks and beginner fish that are cheap and hearty. My number one concern is where do I start after the tank and stand. Do I get a sump setup or go a little more simple? Thoughts, suggestions and general comments are all appreciated. Looking forward to a new addiction! :p

Welcome! Glad you joined. There are so many, too many different possible routes, but I do enjoy having sump and think its easier/simpler than multiple hang on back options route.

Post #2 includes the same reference material I still review - that is a good one
 
Hello and welcome to the cool kids club. Glad to have you.


Amy Poehler Hello GIF by Team Coco
 
Hello all,
I am brand new and have not purchased anything yet. A saltwater aquarium is something I have thought about off and on for a VERY long time (decades). I am finally ready to pull the trigger and dive in, after doing plenty of research. I know that eventually I will want a reef setup and I'm looking to start with at least a 75 gallon tank, up to 90 possibly. I know most of you will say start smaller, but I know me and will regret not getting at least a 75 to start. I would like to start with rocks and beginner fish that are cheap and hearty. My number one concern is where do I start after the tank and stand. Do I get a sump setup or go a little more simple? Thoughts, suggestions and general comments are all appreciated. Looking forward to a new addiction! :p
Hi and welcome to r2r
A 75 is a nice size to start , the exact size I started reefing with . But I was limited as it was not able to be drilled for a sump . So I ran it with hob skimmer and canister filter .
it wasn’t long until I upgraded to a 90
Later a 90 bow front , back to another 90
And now 230 …
We are all here to advise , help , encourage but the best part we will always enable and encourage upgrades to larger systems .

start with what fits your budget and available space and slowly build from that
Start with rocks , decide if you want a sand bed or now , and plan with intentions of what you want the tank to look like in terms of what livestock you plan on eventually keeping .
Purchase good test kits from the start
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

Welcome.gif
 
Welcome to the big family r2r your just in timehttps://www.reef2reef.com/threads/official-reef-of-the-month-nomination-thread.800792/post-11124429
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new