New LPS Coral questions

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a few new LPS corals this weekend. I'd like confirmation of types. The 2 favias have a lot of space between each head so not sure they are favias. Or another type of brain coral--like pineapples? The pictinia I hope is healthy. Flesh looks receded since I brought it home. Plate coral (big as my hand!) is looking good. Not as many tentacles on the side closest to the glass though. Welcome comments and names of the corals.

1. Favia
20220220_180603.jpg

2. Favia
20220220_180611.jpg

3. Rainbow Pictinia
20220220_180548.jpg

4. Plate. Lots of tentacles on the top half. Not as many on bottom. Maybe it needs shifted up on the sand a bit for more flow to the bottom (glass side)?
20220220_180539.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second favia looks more like a chalice, but if they sold it as a favia it's probably a favia. The plates I have all preferred being placed higher up on the rocks.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second favia looks more like a chalice, but if they sold it as a favia it's probably a favia. The plates I have all preferred being placed higher up on the rocks.
I thought plates move. If they feel like it. Per lfs guy. That plate is so huge, I don't have anywhere flat that is large enough! Maybe sort of sideways on the right side of tank, but was planning on euphillia over there. It's also curved so the hard bottom would be hard to glue down. It's literally bigger than my hand. Share a pic of yours! Would love to see

All the pics of favia, the heads are touching, and don't have all that space between. I'm not sure they said it was a favia or I just assumed they were. Why I'm looking for clarification on them. Love the colors. Need to figure out where to put them.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought plates move. If they feel like it. Per lfs guy. That plate is so huge, I don't have anywhere flat that is large enough! Maybe sort of sideways on the right side of tank, but was planning on euphillia over there. It's also curved so the hard bottom would be hard to glue down. It's literally bigger than my hand. Share a pic of yours! Would love to see

All the pics of favia, the heads are touching, and don't have all that space between. I'm not sure they said it was a favia or I just assumed they were. Why I'm looking for clarification on them. Love the colors. Need to figure out where to put them.
Apparently they can, although I have a hard time envisioning this myself. We have a fairly large (5-6" diameter) fat tentacle and a smaller (2.5-3") neon orange plate (not entirely sure what mind). I need to find another orange filter before I can take any kind of decent image (broke mine trying to fix it).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second "favia" looks more like one of the chalices at my LFS and less like the favia I bought a while back.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plates most definetely can move(they inflate and will be taken by current). In anything but the lowest flow it is a risk to put them anywhere but sandbed. Even there they can move, but much less likely to have it end up upside down.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back