New mandarin goby discharging cloudy white substance?

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is our first mandarin goby, I’ve scoured the web, scoured the forum but see no mention.
is this how the release waste? Seems very healthy and constantly picking at rocks, etc.
image.jpg

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see what you’re referring to in the photo. The only thing I can think of is that they have a “slime coat”, which can sometimes look white/stringy. It can also sometimes pick up sand.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarin will peck at the rock and squirt cloudy debris through her gills I think they're filtering the debris for pods and whatever is left gets squirted out

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture was just to show the specific type of goby since there are so many. It is a cloudy white substance that to me appeared to come out somewhere around it’s head? It floats and dissipates in the water. Strange. I’d probably have to sit next to the tank and watch it constantly to be able to catch a picture but it’s done it several times

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarin will peck at the rock and squirt cloudy debris through her gills I think they're filtering the debris for pods and whatever is left gets squirted out
Thank you, that makes sense. I just wanted to make sure it was normal. We skipped the QT because I lost one in QT because I guess I couldn’t keep up with the pod requirements but it was a dragonette and small. This one is large. Thanks for your reply!

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked other because it is our first reef tank. I do love it but there are definitely things I’m going to do differently when I upgrade :D:D:D

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back