New Mccoskers Flasher Laying On Side

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a beautiful Mccoskers flasher yesterday, I was looking at 3 of them at the store. After 45 min of watching them and feeding, I picked up this one. He was very friendly in the store, active and eating very well. I asked 2 employees at different times how long they have been here. One stated 2 weeks and the other stated 2.5-3 weeks. After a hour drive home I acclimated him over 1 hour. Since he entered my qt tank he has just been laying like in the picture. I thought well they stress easy let me give him the night. This morning I saw he was in the spot. I thought it was dead, so I moved some pvc and it swam a few inches then came back to this spot. I tried pellets, and frozen brime. At the store it was eating pellets. He is about 2.5 inches long, full color. Not much I can do but wait it out I guess. Is this normal for this fish?
uploadfromtaptalk1445014105462.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a beautiful Mccoskers flasher yesterday, I was looking at 3 of them at the store. After 45 min of watching them and feeding, I picked up this one. He was very friendly in the store, active and eating very well. I asked 2 employees at different times how long they have been here. One stated 2 weeks and the other stated 2.5-3 weeks. After a hour drive home I acclimated him over 1 hour. Since he entered my qt tank he has just been laying like in the picture. I thought well they stress easy let me give him the night. This morning I saw he was in the spot. I thought it was dead, so I moved some pvc and it swam a few inches then came back to this spot. I tried pellets, and frozen brime. At the store it was eating pellets. He is about 2.5 inches long, full color. Not much I can do but wait it out I guess. Is this normal for this fish?
uploadfromtaptalk1445014105462.jpg
Yeah, that's pretty normal for a new flasher wrasse in a tank without other fish. When a fish doesn't see other fishes it can be an indicator of a predator nearby, he doesn't know that there is not.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Normal for a fish to stress so much it lays on it's side? yes.
Not usually for this long though and in the open.
Mine like to hide in sand or cave.
But I agree no choice, his little heart may be giving out though.
If he is breathing heavy check for ammonia.

den75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My line spot flasher wrasse did the same thing for about 3 days after I put him in the qt before he started to come around.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal for a fish to stress so much it lays on it's side? yes.
Not usually for this long though and in the open.
Mine like to hide in sand or cave.
But I agree no choice, his little heart may be giving out though.
If he is breathing heavy check for ammonia.
It's only been a day and is trying to hide at the base of pvc, this is perfectly normal. Anytime we get flashers at the shop they do this.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys unfortunately woke up this morning and it was dead. Not sure where I went wrong.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well guys unfortunately woke up this morning and it was dead. Not sure where I went wrong.

You dont know you did anything wrong... When we get fish we don't know how old they are or anything at all about them. They could be 1 year old or 10. They get ripped out of the ocean and put in a holding facility them shipped to a distributor maybe another stop and then the lfs or shipped from somewhere to you if you bought it online. .. That is allot for a little fish to take sometimes.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there copper by any chance in the QT?
Very very very little, test tube wasent as clear as my water in my dt tank but not similar to any color on the copper chart. Why? The store I bought it from told me they run all their qt tanks at 2ppm copper for their quarantine before the fish go on the floor.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very very little, test tube wasent as clear as my water in my dt tank but not similar to any color on the copper chart. Why? The store I bought it from told me they run all their qt tanks at 2ppm copper for their quarantine before the fish go on the floor.

Because for some reason, every time I put a new flasher wrasse in a QT with a copper, they die.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back