New mccoskers wrasse missing

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a 1.5 inch mccoskers wrasse in my 125 2 days ago. I put him in an acclimating box and seeing no reaction from my existing fish, I released him. I didn't worry for 2 days just waiting for him to come out. But it is nearing the third day. How long should I wait?

Tank: 125 gallon reef
Livestock
Picasso trigger
Melunarus wrasse
Yellow tang
Tomini tang
Achilles tang
Lawnmower blenny
Yellowtail damsel (introduced with wrasse)
Mccoskers flasher wrasse.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theyll hide for a few days, especially in a tank that big. But just to be sure also check around and behind the tank that he didnt jump out.

faviasteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flasher wrasses are very nervous and jumpy, especially at first. My previous McCoskers used to get startled by lots of things (lights on too quickly, lights off too quickly, someone walking fast near the tank, another fish darting for food, hand in the tank) and he'd either jump or hide.

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got mine and put him in the DT he hid for 2 days. Couldn't find him until I saw at night his little shiny head popping out of a crevice. But month later he is friends with everyone else and will even flash at the clowns and kinda do little dart movements towards them. Much more feisty than I thought he would be.

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did yours come out 100%?

It was more towards the week mark before I saw him out and about fully.

He was pinning himself in little cracks and I mean so small I didn't think that a fish would be in there. You could maybe try and point a small flashlight in at night and see if you see and eyes looking back at you. :D

I really hope the fishy is safe and well, I have a feeling it's just hiding. Especially because of the other tangs and that melanuse wrasse specificly. I know that they can co-exist but i've always been told and read that when adding a nice fish you want to do it before the mean fish?

If he didn't jump out it's probably just scared of the other fish.

Just my opinion but that's what I think is going on.

Last edited:

Tplummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news everyone. I saw him come out and take a quick bite of food today! If I blinked, I wouldve missed it. I guess I really was just worried for nothing. I hope tommorow he will join all the fish in the feeding.
Thanks for the support!
Has he eased in to the tank yet?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back