New Member, Hello!

drmdvl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reef community. Had several FOWLR setups for about 8-10 years in the late 90s to early 2000s - tore my last tank down before a long distance move and sold all my equipment as I exited the hobby. This January, I decided it was a good time in my life (and space in a permanent home with no expected moves in sight) to get back into the saltwater hobby after 13 years.
Wow... has technology, technique, knowledge, understanding and most of all the ability to share information (internet and youtube) changed... we had word of mouth from our trusted mentors and books back then.
Stumbled upon and lurked the vast threads of this wonderful community to map out my new build... decided on a 125g FO tank which has been successfully up and running for the last 5 mo.
I dont have any experience with coral and quite honestly prefer to keep some non reef safe livestock so artificial coral (flame suit on - this is a reefing site) and a Large community FO tank it was.
Some things that have shocked me returning to the hobby - lighting is much cheaper with more abundant modalities given LEDs, live rock is not the same as it used to be and is hard to come by but also not necessary with things like marine pure, COVID was not a good time to hop back in and start stocking a tank, the overwhelming choices to piece your hardware together and hide in a sump is awesome (HOB used to be the thing), I was pleasantly surprised how many local Colorado LFS' there are to support and Ummm... rapid fishless cycling with turbo start is the most amazing thing ever!
Thanks for having this community and imparting all your valuable knowledge.

Attached a couple picks of some of the livestock in there now.
Chromis.jpg
PUrchin.jpg
Cardinals.jpg
RG.jpg
YT.jpg
Clowns.jpg
LP side.jpg
LP.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reef community. Had several FOWLR setups for about 8-10 years in the late 90s to early 2000s - tore my last tank down before a long distance move and sold all my equipment as I exited the hobby. This January, I decided it was a good time in my life (and space in a permanent home with no expected moves in sight) to get back into the saltwater hobby after 13 years.
Wow... has technology, technique, knowledge, understanding and most of all the ability to share information (internet and youtube) changed... we had word of mouth from our trusted mentors and books back then.
Stumbled upon and lurked the vast threads of this wonderful community to map out my new build... decided on a 125g FO tank which has been successfully up and running for the last 5 mo.
I dont have any experience with coral and quite honestly prefer to keep some non reef safe livestock so artificial coral (flame suit on - this is a reefing site) and a Large community FO tank it was.
Some things that have shocked me returning to the hobby - lighting is much cheaper with more abundant modalities given LEDs, live rock is not the same as it used to be and is hard to come by but also not necessary with things like marine pure, COVID was not a good time to hop back in and start stocking a tank, the overwhelming choices to piece your hardware together and hide in a sump is awesome (HOB used to be the thing), I was pleasantly surprised how many local Colorado LFS' there are to support and Ummm... rapid fishless cycling with turbo start is the most amazing thing ever!
Thanks for having this community and imparting all your valuable knowledge.

Attached a couple picks of some of the livestock in there now.
Chromis.jpg
PUrchin.jpg
Cardinals.jpg
RG.jpg
YT.jpg
Clowns.jpg
LP side.jpg
LP.jpg
Welcome to R2R and back to the salty world. Lots of knowledgable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
beautiful pics !!

welcome15.png

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back