New MP40 QD mobius only??

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks just saved a bunch of $ I have 8 devices running on a reef link and am not about to try to switch everything over to mobius even tho all but one are ready.
It's really too bad they didn't continue support for the ReefLink going forward. I actually like the "puck"...

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really too bad they didn't continue support for the ReefLink going forward. I actually like the "puck"...
I'm not a tech guy but I wonder why they couldn't have left them like they were with the black RF chip and you could downgrade or upgrade and choose which you wanted to use. Probably comes down to money and the fact that most people are on mobile and many younger do not even have computers these days. Sucks getting old .

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can take a look and see if I have the older eco smart chip from when I upgraded one of my previous gen to mobius. You can swap the chips if you want to run it on a reeflink
Thank you but I decided to just go with a couple of nero 5 instead. I have a hunch there is more required than just swapping the chip. I have devices with the black rf chip that will allow me to upgrade to mobius, which I did. I didn't like mobius so I downgraded and went back to reeflink. I have done this twice trying to give mobius a chance. If the new vortechs are mobius olny and can not be downgraded to reeflink it leads me to believe it may be more than just the chip. I may be wrong but I don't want to spend over $800 to find out, I need 2 units.

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you but I decided to just go with a couple of nero 5 instead. I have a hunch there is more required than just swapping the chip. I have devices with the black rf chip that will allow me to upgrade to mobius, which I did. I didn't like mobius so I downgraded and went back to reeflink. I have done this twice trying to give mobius a chance. If the new vortechs are mobius olny and can not be downgraded to reeflink it leads me to believe it may be more than just the chip. I may be wrong but I don't want to spend over $800 to find out, I need 2 units.
Ah that makes sense. Hopefully the wisdom of ecotech will bring some logic to the mobius platform to make it more reliable

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't verify this myself since I haven't needed to buy a new vortech yet (hopefully stays that way) but I recall anything made around 2022? onward is all mobius only(lacks the rf chip). So they're not compatible with wave engines either unless you chip them + the wave engine iirc.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't verify this myself since I haven't needed to buy a new vortech yet (hopefully stays that way) but I recall anything made around 2022? onward is all mobius only(lacks the rf chip). So they're not compatible with wave engines either unless you chip them + the wave engine iirc.
This. Your need an older mp40 pre mid '21 IIRC and you have to downgrade it and have the black rf chip to make it work with reeflink.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some info on downgrading to run a reeflink setups. I think I still have a reeflink 'brain' somewhere but I was using an WXM module instead at the time. I'm currently using mobius as the two MP 40's I put back into svc were upgraded to being mobius ready (newer black rf chip).

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Do the new MP40 QD have to be controlled through mobius or can I run it through my reeflink and ecosmart live? TIA
Mobius, or just use the controller they come with.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mobius, or just use the controller they come with.

Thanks. I'm ashamed to say I have 5 vortechs and don't even know how to use the supplied controller :face-with-hand-over-mouth: I bought a reeflink when I got the first vortechs and have been running them through that ever since. I've tried mobius twice and we just don't get along well together.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm ashamed to say I have 5 vortechs and don't even know how to use the supplied controller :face-with-hand-over-mouth: I bought a reeflink when I got the first vortechs and have been running them through that ever since. I've tried mobius twice and we just don't get along well together.
I got it going this time around but last time I hated it... Was still using reeflink.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I don't get too creative with my MP40's. I just pick a program using the color codes on the dial and set speed.
I usually set it and leave it alone. Once in a while I adjust the speed up or down.
I don't use Mobius for anything except my lights and I'm on a uneasy truce with it. I set the program, schedule, color, and intensity, and then I leave it alone.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back