New Nano Build UNS 30A (Dual) AIO and Inspirations 7 Gallon

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isnt going to be just a tank build. This is going to be a build to what has inspired me and the fascination I have. It is about showing my minimalist side and what I have learned and practiced.

I woke up this morning to something nobody wants to see. My tank had crashed. I was already busy getting ready for work making sure not to disturb my sick wife, unsuccesfully. I had the dogs to let out as well. My mind could only think of the heater I added and spliced wires to fit through hole in lid. Did I pull to hard, was it a bad heater, should I have heated the water first, did I not connect well? This was on my mind all day as well as my wife. She was having to nanny as the lady she is working for would not be able to watch. Also feeling better but fighting multiple health issues and brain fog, this was over whelming.

I decided to test the water I had picked up. It was freshwater. I was dumbfounded. Did I grab the wrong water, were they making a batcch and in the process of filling and adding salt? It didnt matter. I was more concerned in case it was something that happened to their tanks or others. Things happen and need to just keep moving forward.

I no longer had inspiration. I wanted another tank setup but just didnt know and wasnt even sure about setting up another. It is already hard enough due to health. Do I want to keep up with another setup? I had some ideas and things looking online but nothing really set with me.

I dont know when I got into picos but always had them. I found them easier to care for than larger tanks I had and easier on the budget. I had success but things would happen. Some by me others by nature or other people.

I was thinking about my favorite coral, the elegance coral. But what got me interested? It goes back to a tank called Eco Reef Zero by Jake Adams. https://reefbuilders.com/2011/09/29/ecoreef-zero-population-1/

This is when I fell in love with elegance and the way it was displayed. The disc designs with long reaching tentacles and flow. Then later I found out there were some crazy colors. It took me a long time to learn how to care for and ugly phases they can go through adapting. They dont like direct shade. I had many lose tentacles and retract. I also learned they dont like detritus. I could always tell when I had a build up in my barebottom 5 gallon I had. I also had some killed buy gull crabs and recovered a few from what was called elegance coral disease. It was a very steep learning curve and lost a few in the process but learned and continued to love them.

as I began to learn more about filtration through this forum and research, I realized I needed less equipment till it was just lights, tank and air pump or wavemaker. I tried to do an air pump in a square tank but the movemeent wasnt right and needed current. This was mentioned to me to switch by the owner of Maritza the reef vase. This was also an inspiring tank and why I loved cylinder tanks.

This build I want to really keep simple and follow what I have learned and enjoyed. Im still thinking but think I have settled.

UNS 30A (Dual) AIO

flush fit lid

AI Prime HD
This I already have and will continue to use for now.

No rock work except what coral is attached to or what will be needed to have it stay in place. I may add one bio ball in back chamber.

I plan on getting another elegance but would also like to add possibly a bubble coral and/or another kind of coral if possible, or multiple elegances lol. I might add a sexy shrimp or 2 or something unique that wont really add bioload. Maybe just leave it as corals only.

This is my current inspiration, again from Jake Adams who inspired many people and did some amazing things.

I am still processing the idea but this seems to be the direction and have a vision.

Current Setup:
Tank: UNS 30A (Dual) AIO with lid
Tank Addon: UNS filter sock
Heat: Inkbird ITC-306T+ Aquarium Probe with Hitop 50w heater
Light: AI Prime HD
Air Pump: Eheim Air 100

Initial Setup:
February 15, 2024
Elegance coral and water were added at same time to tank. No testing except for salinity. No bacteria added except what was on coral. No live rock in back sump area.

Maintenance:
weekly 100 percent water changes. Glass cleaning as needed. Feed benepets powder after water change and feed pellets 2 days before water change once in a while.

Live Stock:
Elegance coral -The Mad Reefer
Frogspawn coral -The Mad Reefer
Dragon's Breathe macro Algae -The Mad Reefer
Pipe organ for the sponges, clam and other biodiverity it carried -The Mad Reefer
2 gonipora coral - AquaSD
Helmet plate coral- AquaSD
Blasto coral - AquaSD
2 Pederson shrimp -The Mad Reefer

Current Tank Picture:
April 7, 2024
1000003172.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I have been thinking alot if this is definetly the setoup and route I want to go. I will be heading to lfs and look around to verify and make sure vission is definitive.

I also will need the wetside for MP10. This is a purchase Im debating. I will order tank first and see if dry side will fit how I want and the look. The issue is its been in my garage a very long time. I powered on and tested knob and buttons which seem to work. But wetside is going to be true test. If not I will probably go canister or internal filter for flow. Im hopibg this will work well as it did on my 5 gallon just turned down lower lol.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the trigger today after much running around in circles. I wanted the 5n due to small size and maintenance. The Issue is the mp10 would not fit like it did or look as nice as it did in my 5 gallon. So, I would add another pump which I have but dont like the looks of them. Also didnt want to pay for a pump the would look nice. Either way there would be a cord.

The other issue is without a fairly closed lid the evaporation would be fast. It is very dry in my house and evaporation is bad in tanks I dont have lids on.

The 5N has 2 lid options. One with clips which leaves to much of a space between sides, or flush fit. Flush fit may risk sliding off with a cord sticking out. Plus being that flush, it would definetly require an air pump. I looked for options but saw none with lids already made that would be how I needed. So I looked at all in ones.

Looking at all in ones, I found they started at 7 gallons and up for uns. Im thinking I might as well by the bigger tank that isnt all in one like the UNS 30C. I can use the MP10 then. But I didnt want a large tank and back to the air tight lid that would need an air pump, The lid wouldnt be flush and a risk of falling. I also didnt want to go that big. I was pulling my hair out....well whats left. Maybe my beard hair.

I started to look at other tanks again. But none I could find looked as good or had same quality as uns. The ones that are were even larger. I decided while I can settle on the gallons slightly. I will not on the tank and I want to keep my vision on the path.

If you have been reading so far you know that I will be adding an elegance coral. I have also decided to add a pink or a red Gonipora. This will add to the movement and look. I havent decided on other corals yet but want to keep to a minimum. I may add a mount to back of glass if something needs room but want to keep negative space and not crowd.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will be here the 14th. But alot is going to be happening next month.

One of our dogs is having knee surgery and will be an 8 week recovery. First 4 weeks she is not allowed on it. And being almost 2 year old sharpei at 65 lbs with a sister from same litter who likes to antagonize isnt going to be cake walk. Then another 4 weeks of limited use. She will be have several procedures on the knee as it is constantly popping out minimum 3 times a day. She still runs and goes in on its own, it will wear it out.

The other trouble is solicitors. I already have no tresspassing signs out and one above our ring that doesnt deter some. We will be putting orange mesh wrap up and to the sidewalk to porch on both sides. Also a gate that will have written surgery recovery do not disturb that will have a statement along the lines of reinjury as result of disturbance will seek full compensation. We are still determining. Gate will also have combination lock accessible to both sides. So we can go in and out. We will even have to call each other before going to door to contain her excitement. Neighbors will have our number for emergencies. Sad I have to go this far to ensure my dogs safety.

Will be interesting time.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will be here the 14th. But alot is going to be happening next month.

One of our dogs is having knee surgery and will be an 8 week recovery. First 4 weeks she is not allowed on it. And being almost 2 year old sharpei at 65 lbs with a sister from same litter who likes to antagonize isnt going to be cake walk. Then another 4 weeks of limited use. She will be have several procedures on the knee as it is constantly popping out minimum 3 times a day. She still runs and goes in on its own, it will wear it out.

The other trouble is solicitors. I already have no tresspassing signs out and one above our ring that doesnt deter some. We will be putting orange mesh wrap up and to the sidewalk to porch on both sides. Also a gate that will have written surgery recovery do not disturb that will have a statement along the lines of reinjury as result of disturbance will seek full compensation. We are still determining. Gate will also have combination lock accessible to both sides. So we can go in and out. We will even have to call each other before going to door to contain her excitement. Neighbors will have our number for emergencies. Sad I have to go this far to ensure my dogs safety.

Will be interesting time.
Following along! Hoping for a speedy recovery for your dog!

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked the Tracking tgis morning and delivery is now set to be here Tomorrow February 12th around 3PM.

This will give me more time to setup. As The Mad Reefer (lfs) will be getting a shipment from fiji. Ill have and idea tomorrow on actual size and a plan for coral sizes I already plan to get.

I will also be temporarily setting up tank in living room area since I will be mainly living there starting in March till end of April hopefully for dogs surgery recovery. I work for awsome group i. My company where Thet are allowing me to work crom home for the 8 weeks. I want to put the tank where I am going to be the most. Wife is very nervous as well.

List is still elegance coral and basic pink or Red Gonipora. I would like to get maybe 1 to 3 more corals but dont have any ideas and depends on space. Any ideas? I am thinki.g maybe a torch, hammer or frogspawn on back wall. I dont want colors to be to much the same.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So fedex did not deliver as stated today. Original was 14th, then stated the 12th yesterday and now pending but stating on time. I would like to be home for delivery to make sure it is set down and not thrown or dropped on porch lol. Hopefully ring wil catch and other cameras.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my delivery today. Tank looks great and everything was in order. The gap between lid and the walls are bigger than intendid but will wat,h the evaporation to see if I need a custom piece.

I did an unboxing and a quick video of parts from the tank i'll be using earlier and will add to you tube. I did a quick ro/di rinse and ran the pump and attachments to pump to flush and rinse. The flow randomiser seems to work ok as well.

The plan will be to add water tomorrow to make sure everything is good then add a coral or 2 thursday or friday.

1000002353.jpg

1000002354.jpg

1000002356.jpg

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am by no means a cameramam or a presenter. But here is the unboxing from earlier. Tomorrow ill show a quick video of what Im using and putting it together from today. May even add saltwater tomorrow. Just to see it running.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water and coral is added. Due to the low bioload a single coral will have and the bacteria already on the coral, there should be no issues with bacteria. The coral seemed pretty happy this morning as well. Usually mine fully retract at night from my experience. Feeding will be timed about 2 days before 100 percent water changes.

Once gonipora gets added, I will add the benepets powder after water changes but just a tiny amount. Both will be target fed during normal feeding.

It will be a while before any other corals are added due to budget lol. But only a few more might be.
1000002373.jpg

1000002371.jpg

1000002383.jpg

1000002384.jpg

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and looks like tank needs a good water change. Water is a bit cloudier than yesterday from bacterial bloom. This is something normal in new tanks and a good sign. Water changes can clear this up and will not hurt anything as bacteria grows on surface areas and not in the water column. Even when adding fritz or live rock you can and most will still get this bloom as they multiply establishing on new spaces.

The nutrients are coming from the waste the coral has expelled feeding the bacteria. The bacteria can cause problems with oxygen levels. But since there is only a coral, there will be no issue. You can add new fish as long as you have proper oxygenation and do water changes to control the bloom.

I will probably get more water today and do a 100 percent water change today. 4 gallons is all I have at the moment. This will be when I get home later today i can get.

The other question is if the elegance will go into its adjustment ugly phase. I have had all my elegances go through a cycle of swelling some tentacle loss and retraction. At least 2 of the 3. Then they come back after a week or 2 and no other issues. Dont know the cause, but we shall see if this one does it.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife was nice enough to send me picture this morning of tank. Coral is slowly opening from when I saw this morning. Hoping to get up early and do a full video of it closed to fully opening soon. Did a partial on instagram.
Pictures are a few minutess apart.
1000002396.jpg

1000002397.jpg

She also texted as it looks like shes in the tank. We were joking last night because with black background it creates 3D images when up close inside the tank. Lol

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is still going well. Slight evaporation problem but will watch. Waiting on refractometer calibration solution as well to verify. Going to double check salinity in container with what is in tank. I believe it was 1.024 vs now 1.026. This change is over about 3 days time. Ill verify once I get home.may need to get a custom lid built.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received the solution earlier today to calibrate the refractometer Water in jug was 1.026 and in tank 1.027. This means evaporation will be roughly .03 at the most a week. Ill need to keep an eye but 100 percent water changes are scheduled once a week as well. I will pick up a gallon of RO/DI to top off if needed. Ill vheck each week.

Currently I will be doing a water change tomorrow. While it is a bit early, water is a little cloudy and this will clear it up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back