New nano tank build

Nanoclowndave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up everyone, I am starting a new nano tank build. I have a 10 gallon standard aqueon tank, which I put a jebao wavemaker, AI prime HD, and an Esopps nano overflow on with my rock scape (That I actually took my time with this time) and some Arag-alive Oolite live sand. I have that plumbed down into a temporary sump right now thats made out of a storage container containing my heater, some live rock, chemipure blue, filter floss, and my return pump. I have another 10 gallon tank coming in soon that I am going to fit with baffles and make a little more professional looking sump. But in the mean time I'm in the first week of the build and I used an instant cycle just to get the bacteria going. I'm going to keep this thread updated with the build. Let me know what you think of the scape so far...

Tank 1.jpg Tank 2.jpg Tank 3.jpg Tank 4.jpg Tank 5.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, keep the pictures coming!

OP
OP
N

Nanoclowndave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some corals and 2 blue leg hermits, and 2 astrea snails.

Corals:
Duncan
Pulsing Xenia
Green Hairy Mushroom
Green Star Polyps. (Not Pictured)

both the green star and xenia have their own rocks so they dont get out of control.

Attachments

• Tank 6.jpg
    Tank 6.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 23
  • Tank 7.jpg
    Tank 7.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Tank 8.jpg
    Tank 8.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Tank 9.jpg
    Tank 9.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Tank 6.jpg
    Tank 6.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
N

Nanoclowndave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 corals in and thriving, 3 snails, 2 blue leg hermits, 1 emerald crab. Everyone is doing well. Just got some diatoms right now but I think that will soon pass

Attachments

• IMG_7540.MOV
    33.3 MB
OP
OP
N

Nanoclowndave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 corals in and thriving, 3 snails, 2 blue leg hermits, 1 emerald crab. Everyone is doing well. Just got some diatoms right now but I think that will soon pass
Stupid video didn’t work again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
N

Nanoclowndave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone ID this? Dinos or diatoms? There were little bubbles all attached to it but now they’re gone…. Tank is only about 2 months old as well so I know it’s probably the ugly phase

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
N

Nanoclowndave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I went to my lfs and when I walked in I saw this BEAUTIFUL green bubble tip anemone. I fell in love. I told myself I can’t have it because I only have a 10 gallon tank. So I continued to browse around the store. So I left with the anemone… I was so angry with myself but I was so in love. On my way home I ordered a guard for my power head and figure I’d be ok for the night. I put him on this rock and he just looked absolutely amazing and everything looked great.

Cut to today, I got home from work and he is completely chopped up and part of his foot is stuck in the power head. (As I open my power head guard package) everything in the tank is ticked off but my clowns, hermits, snails, and emerald crab are all acting normal. Just the corals in my tank are mega ticked. I do a 50% water change and syphon out the pieces that I can see (which were only 3 small pieces) and clear the chunk of foot that is stuck in the power head.

The corals seem to be perking back up and nitrates and phosphates are at 10ppm and .25ppb respectively.

I notice that one of my acans is puking up what I believe to be a piece of the anemone. This acan has about 6 heads and they all still have their feeding tentacles out.

Does anyone know if the acan can survive eating a nem tentacle?

Also, do the affects of a pureed nem take longer to show in a tank? Keep in mind, it’s a 10 gallon with a sump so a very tiny system. I have a chemipure blue bag in the system and filter floss so I’m hoping the toxins and floating nematocysts are being cleaned out but I’m worried about the acan.

I know. I’m an idiot for buying him. And I know I should’ve listened to my gut. But, I’m a reefer and I just wanted it so bad. I’m stupid.

Attachments

• 77727A6E-8B65-496B-B81E-2D35EDBC12F0.jpeg
    77727A6E-8B65-496B-B81E-2D35EDBC12F0.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 26

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up everyone, I am starting a new nano tank build. I have a 10 gallon standard aqueon tank, which I put a jebao wavemaker, AI prime HD, and an Esopps nano overflow on with my rock scape (That I actually took my time with this time) and some Arag-alive Oolite live sand. I have that plumbed down into a temporary sump right now thats made out of a storage container containing my heater, some live rock, chemipure blue, filter floss, and my return pump. I have another 10 gallon tank coming in soon that I am going to fit with baffles and make a little more professional looking sump. But in the mean time I'm in the first week of the build and I used an instant cycle just to get the bacteria going. I'm going to keep this thread updated with the build. Let me know what you think of the scape so far...

Tank 1.jpg Tank 2.jpg Tank 3.jpg Tank 4.jpg Tank 5.jpg
Looks great man nice start! They make some nice 10 gallon DIY sump kits on EBay - I used one in my build if you wanna check it out. Keep up the good work I’ll be following along!

OP
OP
N

Nanoclowndave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great man nice start! They make some nice 10 gallon DIY sump kits on EBay - I used one in my build if you wanna check it out. Keep up the good work I’ll be following along!
Thank you! I’ve been looking at those inserts actually I just haven’t pulled the trigger. I think it’s more the fact of having to remove this makeshift sump to install it that’s the more daunting task . Heading to check your build out now, thank you glad to have you here

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man! Your actually farther ahead on yours because you actually have life in your tank already…I’m just sitting there watching water spin circles lol. I’ll be keeping an eye on your progress!

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I went to my lfs and when I walked in I saw this BEAUTIFUL green bubble tip anemone. I fell in love. I told myself I can’t have it because I only have a 10 gallon tank. So I continued to browse around the store. So I left with the anemone… I was so angry with myself but I was so in love. On my way home I ordered a guard for my power head and figure I’d be ok for the night. I put him on this rock and he just looked absolutely amazing and everything looked great.

Cut to today, I got home from work and he is completely chopped up and part of his foot is stuck in the power head. (As I open my power head guard package) everything in the tank is ticked off but my clowns, hermits, snails, and emerald crab are all acting normal. Just the corals in my tank are mega ticked. I do a 50% water change and syphon out the pieces that I can see (which were only 3 small pieces) and clear the chunk of foot that is stuck in the power head.

The corals seem to be perking back up and nitrates and phosphates are at 10ppm and .25ppb respectively.

I notice that one of my acans is puking up what I believe to be a piece of the anemone. This acan has about 6 heads and they all still have their feeding tentacles out.

Does anyone know if the acan can survive eating a nem tentacle?

Also, do the affects of a pureed nem take longer to show in a tank? Keep in mind, it’s a 10 gallon with a sump so a very tiny system. I have a chemipure blue bag in the system and filter floss so I’m hoping the toxins and floating nematocysts are being cleaned out but I’m worried about the acan.

I know. I’m an idiot for buying him. And I know I should’ve listened to my gut. But, I’m a reefer and I just wanted it so bad. I’m stupid.
I haven’t had any luck keeping Nems myself…I really think they do better in well established tanks and they like to move around… a lot…until they finally find a happy place and it’s usually not where you want them lol. Sorry to hear that happened though, did he live or did the powerhead kill him?

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I’ve been looking at those inserts actually I just haven’t pulled the trigger. I think it’s more the fact of having to remove this makeshift sump to install it that’s the more daunting task . Heading to check your build out now, thank you glad to have you here
Changing equipment after its already set up is such a huge pain isn’t it? I wasn’t going to do that this time…one and done! But it will only take you an hour or so to silicone in the sump
Kit and 24 hours to cure and then about an hour of change over so I think it would be worth it!

OP
OP
N

Nanoclowndave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice tank. looks like mine but half the size

Thank you! Your tank looks great, I can’t wait to buy my house so I can build my big tank. Counting the days down lol
Changing equipment after its already set up is such a huge pain isn’t it? I wasn’t going to do that this time…one and done! But it will only take you an hour or so to silicone in the sump
Kit and 24 hours to cure and then about an hour of change over so I think it would be worth it!
Seriously the only reason is because I’m making that part of it out to be so much more trouble than it actually will be. Plus I’d really like to utilize the filter pads and filter socks better but I’m just lazy.

OP
OP
N

Nanoclowndave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about adding a second power head. I have the tiny koralia nano pump in the sump right now just keeping water moving at the surface trying to keep my oxygen exchange going but I’m noticing that on the side of my tank underneath the jebao wave maker detritus tends to gather there and the sand has some algae growth but at the same time it seems like the corals are having plenty of water pass by. I’m not sure if I should add the second pump or not… anyone have any thoughts? It’s all softies in the tank so I don’t want to kill them but stuff is definitely collecting there. I’ll try to post a video

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back