New Naso Tang lays on bottom

MattFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about 2.5 mo old. Purchased a Naso Tang yesterday from LFS. They have had him in copper medicated tank. Post acclimation he just hid in the corner now he is laying on his side.

He will move from one side of the tank to the other and sometimes in a cave. always on his side.... also seems to have some discoloration. Not sure if he's just super stressed or sick.
1.jpg

2.jpg

Water perams seem normal to me....

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Salinity 34

Tank 165 gal

Help please. Thanks

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles. Are there any other fish in tank? So it seems he was swimming fine at the LFS?

How exactly did you acclimate him? Did he ever swim normal after you acclimated? What is the temp in the tank?

OP
OP
MattFL

MattFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles. Are there any other fish in tank? So it seems he was swimming fine at the LFS?

How exactly did you acclimate him? Did he ever swim normal after you acclimated? What is the temp in the tank?

Yes: Currently 4 small Clowns, 1 Blenny, 10 small hermits.

He was swimming fine at LFS.

Drip acclimated from 30.5 to 34 salinity. Took about an hour. Transfered him into the tank and he swam for a little then laid down. Hence i assumed he was stressed.

Temp is 77.

Thanks!

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He could be highly stressed or in shock. Possibly ammonia poisoning during acclimation, less likely since it was from LFS but depending on water volume he was in. Any other stressors like aggression from your other fish? Is he visible breathing super heavy? Did you see him eat at the LFS?

OP
OP
MattFL

MattFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During drip, since it was such a large salinity difference I removed water twice. Would have taken forever to match. Figured that would also lower ammonia...

no aggression he’s 5-10x the size of others. Clowns are sticking to other side of tank as well.

now he’s upright... not moving but not playing dead....

203BFCBB-B0C5-4DA2-91DA-90B58C8635C4.jpeg

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the first couple of pictures, something went majorly wrong. Was the bag he was in dropped, or bounced around? Based on the images it doesn’t look like he will make it.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During drip, since it was such a large salinity difference I removed water twice. Would have taken forever to match. Figured that would also lower ammonia...

no aggression he’s 5-10x the size of others. Clowns are sticking to other side of tank as well.

now he’s upright... not moving but not playing dead....

203BFCBB-B0C5-4DA2-91DA-90B58C8635C4.jpeg
Heavy breathing or???

OP
OP
MattFL

MattFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heavy breathing or???
No heavy breathing.... or other odd signs. Just extreme lethargy.

update:He passed this morning called the LFS and they told me to bring him in with some water.

they said he was malnourished and skin and bones. Thankfully they said he didn’t get that way in 36hrs and was not my fault.

oh and water parameters were all good.

Still sad... I need to learn how to pick healthy fish when browsing stores I guess.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back