New nem shrinking

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mattg023
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mattg023

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2020
Messages
368
Reaction score
143
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Got a black widow anemone around a month ago. For the first couple weeks it was open big and happy. Now for the past week or so it has Been much smaller. His mouth is closed and he accepted a tiny piece of scallop yesterday. All parameters are all good. Nitrates around 10. Alk around 8.5. Could it be a lighting issue? He hasn’t moved once. In fact he’s stayed at the crevice I originally placed him.

50181E0C-5C88-4DF6-A4DE-1F0CB89707FF.jpeg
 
This is how it looks every day now... small, deflated, short tentacles. does somebody have any advice?
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 73
Anyone? It's been closing up early as well. Just not sure what to do.
 
Have you fed other than that one time? What’s the age of your tank?
What are your parameters other than good?
Do you dose trace elements?
 
Have you fed other than that one time? What’s the age of your tank?
What are your parameters other than good?
Do you dose trace elements?
I’ve fed around once a week. Small pieces of scallop. After not feeding the first week. Tank is 7 months old. Parameters are stable. 0 ammonia/nitrite. ~10 ppm nitrate, alk 8.5. I only dose alkalinity. As my weekly water changes keep my calcium high enough.
 
Salinity, temp? Any significant parameter swings or large water changes? Any recent death or signs of stress in the tank?

water changes will help with depletion of some elements, but your corals and other inhabitants may be taking away the required trace element for your nem. Just a thought, I am wondering about my other questions tho
 
Salinity, temp? Any significant parameter swings or large water changes? Any recent death or signs of stress in the tank?

water changes will help with depletion of some elements, but your corals and other inhabitants may be taking away the required trace element for your nem. Just a thought, I am wondering about my other questions tho
Salinity and temp stable. 1.025 and 78 degrees. No swings in anything... no recent death. Corals are doing well...
 
Are there any signs of damage? Can you see the foot or mouth? Also what salt do you use?

nems can be funky. Just trying to probe for something to stand out
 
Are there any signs of damage? Can you see the foot or mouth? Also what salt do you use?

nems can be funky. Just trying to probe for something to stand out
It’s killing me because it physically looks healthy. Vibrant color still, mouth is closed. No damage, I can see the foot. I use reef crystals
 
I’m no nem expert and they make me nervous. I’ve lost more than I’ve kept. Hoping maybe the questions I asked will get enough answers for someone to chime in
 
I’m no nem expert and they make me nervous. I’ve lost more than I’ve kept. Hoping maybe the questions I asked will get enough answers for someone to chime in
Thank you! I appreciate your responses!
 
It doesn't look that bad. Best you can do is just keep things stable and don't stress over it. Nothing is going to happen super fast with it.
 
Nems are weird, I will say 7 months is a new tank in my opinion. You could try to target feed reef roids or another powder food and see if it closes up into a ball meaning it is eating. Its possible it’s not getting the sustenance it needs otherwise. Also nems will typically move If flow or light isn’t good but if it keeps wasting I would move the live rock it is in higher for more light or change in flow. Shouldn’t hurt, might help.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 19.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 34 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 15 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new