New Neptunian R60, Second Salt, First Reef Build

Luckynug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full Discloser, I am a month and a half into this build and added my first livestock last night.... More to come on all that.

Lets Start with the gear!
Tank: Neptunian Cube USA R60. Never heard of this company, was heading to look at a WaterBox last September and stumbled across this gem. Main reason I went with Neptunian is their sumps are killer for such a small package.

tempImagemESrbb.jpg
tempImageDaopxN.jpg

Brains of the operation, Felix Smart Controller (****** and a must have, I love this thing. Pic below)
Red Sea LED 90
MP40
Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite skimmer
Varios return pump
BRS 200W Heater
40# of Marco Rock
40# of Caribbean sea sand (only used 20)
Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 2.45.19 PM.png

Unfortunately the tank was purchased on 4 December and had to sit in the garage for a few weeks. Needed to finish up a few other projects before I started on this one.

Stay tuned and happy reefing!

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested to know more about how you use the Felix. I remember when people on YouTube were hyping this before it came out. Originally it was supposed to have some kind of intelligent ai that could look at your fish and see behavior abnormalities but then they dropped that feature.

OP
OP
Luckynug

Luckynug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested to know more about how you use the Felix. I remember when people on YouTube were hyping this before it came out. Originally it was supposed to have some kind of intelligent ai that could look at your fish and see behavior abnormalities but then they dropped that feature.
They still sell that camera. However, you are right they dropped the AI feature for it. Cool idea not easy to implement.

My use of the Felix is pretty basic. I use it as a temp probe/controller for my heater and timer for refugium light.

Once my ATO is here I will set it up to limit run time on the pump. Sort of a 3rd back up for that system. I also have plans on programming controls for an auto feeder and commands for the pumps.

DuchampWasHere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full Discloser, I am a month and a half into this build and added my first livestock last night.... More to come on all that.

Lets Start with the gear!
Tank: Neptunian Cube USA R60. Never heard of this company, was heading to look at a WaterBox last September and stumbled across this gem. Main reason I went with Neptunian is their sumps are killer for such a small package.

tempImagemESrbb.jpg
tempImageDaopxN.jpg

Brains of the operation, Felix Smart Controller (****** and a must have, I love this thing. Pic below)
Red Sea LED 90
MP40
Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite skimmer
Varios return pump
BRS 200W Heater
40# of Marco Rock
40# of Caribbean sea sand (only used 20)
Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 2.45.19 PM.png

Unfortunately the tank was purchased on 4 December and had to sit in the garage for a few weeks. Needed to finish up a few other projects before I started on this one.

Stay tuned and happy reefing!
I have a R60 as well, I am wondering what varios you put on yours? I have the Varios-2 and I am wishing I had went with the Varios-4. It has two drains and the single return cant seem to keep up with it fully open, I have to turn my drain wayyyyyy down

OP
OP
Luckynug

Luckynug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a R60 as well, I am wondering what varios you put on yours? I have the Varios-2 and I am wishing I had went with the Varios-4. It has two drains and the single return cant seem to keep up with it fully open, I have to turn my drain wayyyyyy down
I run the Varios 4 on setting 2. That is about 700 gph. I closed the gate valve until the water line is up to the emergency drain, usually have a small trickle but I can’t hear it.

I do have a question for you. My tank has a side to side wobble that makes me really uncomfortable. How stable is your stand.

DuchampWasHere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the Varios 4 on setting 2. That is about 700 gph. I closed the gate valve until the water line is up to the emergency drain, usually have a small trickle but I can’t hear it.

I do have a question for you. My tank has a side to side wobble that makes me really uncomfortable. How stable is your stand.
Yea I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and just buy the Varios 4 or something comparable. So I def noticed a side to side wobble with mine as well, but I installed some corner braces at all the corners, top and bottom and it got rid of the wobble. I did it before I ever put water in it.
IMG_5401.jpeg

OP
OP
Luckynug

Luckynug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and just buy the Varios 4 or something comparable. So I def noticed a side to side wobble with mine as well, but I installed some corner braces at all the corners, top and bottom and it got rid of the wobble. I did it before I ever put water in it.
IMG_5401.jpeg
That is brilliant, thank you for sharing I’m going to head to Home Depot tomorrow.

The 4 is a tight fit in return chamber. You don’t have, but I did remove the ATO float. Makes it easier to remove the pump for maintenance

E_Linsco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

E_Linsco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to this world and just set my R60 up. I’m at the max fill line below, but the water is still 2inches from the top. I hesitate to mess with my pump and drain valve as I just figured out how to make it somewhat quiet. Any insight on how to get my water level up some ?
Thanks is advance !

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back