New nuvo fusion 30L first piece: toadstool, seems unhappy

nark54321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After setting up my 30g tank got it up to temp, (floats around 79) the first thing i got after my live rock/sand was a 3" toadstool. i rubber banded him to the rock hoping it will help him anchor, and he's just all slump and sad looking. been like this for 2 days now. all perimeters are in good range, nitrites, nitrates, ammonia all zero, ph is 8.0

DMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont give up on it. What you're seeing is perfectly normal. Even after it has acclimated leathers still go through a kind of shedding process. It could look like that for a week or more. Unless you see it basically dissolving its probably fine. They can be a little picky about flow, but seem to handle almost any kind of light or lack of. I am wondering g though if you've added it (or anything) to soon. Has your tank cycled.

OP
OP
nark54321

nark54321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont give up on it. What you're seeing is perfectly normal. Even after it has acclimated leathers still go through a kind of shedding process. It could look like that for a week or more. Unless you see it basically dissolving its probably fine. They can be a little picky about flow, but seem to handle almost any kind of light or lack of. I am wondering g though if you've added it (or anything) to soon. Has your tank cycled.

Im not sure if it had cycled, i had my live sand and a rock sitting in my tank with 3/4 water filled and a wave maker circulating it while i waited for my pump that was broken during shipping for about 2-4 maybe 5 days max, then the pump came and i finished filling the tank got everything running and up to temperature. the day after my tank was 78-80 i threw him in there. sense then i got a hammer, a couple zoa frags and a big branchy candy cane coral, and a little clean up crew, that are all doing pretty good so far. the hammer has not fully came out yet but he does not seem unhealthy.

OP
OP
nark54321

nark54321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh and i also have two little blue damsels that were the first to be in the tank, not the toadstool

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be the problem. How often are you checking your parameters? Maybe getting some spikes . While it is possible, I doubt your tank is fully cycled. It depends on how well established your liverock/ sand was.
Im not sure if it had cycled, i had my live sand and a rock sitting in my tank with 3/4 water filled and a wave maker circulating it while i waited for my pump that was broken during shipping for about 2-4 maybe 5 days max, then the pump came and i finished filling the tank got everything running and up to temperature. the day after my tank was 78-80 i threw him in there. sense then i got a hammer, a couple zoa frags and a big branchy candy cane coral, and a little clean up crew, that are all doing pretty good so far. the hammer has not fully came out yet but he does not seem unhealthy.

OP
OP
nark54321

nark54321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be the problem. How often are you checking your parameters? Maybe getting some spikes . While it is possible, I doubt your tank is fully cycled. It depends on how well established your liverock/ sand was.

I have about 15lbs of live rock that i bought from local store out of the box before he even opened it on shipment day from Fiji . The rock is completely purple and i have the live sand too. last time i checked was 2 days ago and everything seemed ok. That test was 2 or 3 days after i had my fish and toadstool in.

OP
OP
nark54321

nark54321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok just tested my parameters and my ammonia spiked to .25 and my nitrate spiked to 5.0 ... how severe is this my tank does not look to much affected.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ammonia is bad get some prime in there. Your tank is not cycled. The nitrates is fine what test kit brand are you using? I would not add anything else to your tank until it is finished cycling. Your best bet is to find another home for the toadstool until your tank completes it's cycle and becomes more stable. You can't rush anything in this hobby or your going to have a lot of problems and spend lots of money. Most tanks take a month or 2 to cycle. I see you are using 2 damsels to start the cycle. I would not recommend it but a little late for that. The problem is once the tank is cycled you have 2 of the meanest fish in your tank and will have problems with future additions and bullying. Not to mention the torture the fish go through during the cycle. Once you test 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites for a week or 2 then you can start adding livestock slowly. Each time you add livestock your bacteria population needs to increase to account for the added waste.
ok just tested my parameters and my ammonia spiked to .25 and my nitrate spiked to 5.0 ... how severe is this my tank does not look to much affected.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the nitrates 5.0 is a typo and you meant nitrites 5.0 then that is bad.

Back