New Opinions on this Metal Halide T5

Greaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, looking for any new opinions and or reviews on this lighting system. Doing a search I didn't find anything recent.

Its the Odyssea Metal Halide T5 combo an apparent ebay special... I am looking at lighting a 30 inch wide tank in the future. It would be hung above tank with separately sold hanging kit not on mounts.

48" Metal Halide + T5 716W
This MH + T5 48” is THE reefer’s light. A space saving combo unit combines 2x 250W HQI metal halide, 4x 54W Actinic Blue T5 HO lamps, and 6x Bluemoon LED into one single unit. This unit also features external HQI controller, heavy duty cooling fan, mounting legs, and anodized aluminum housing. Separate power cords for MH and T5. Multiple power switches for different functions.
s-l1600.jpg

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been around for awhile. They have many issues with them like catching fire, bad reflectors, etc. I had a friend who was home when his caught fire, so thank goodness everything went well with all that . I would honestly stay away from it. I'm sure there's people out there that have never had problems with them and love them still. If I was u I'd stick with a good used one.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought one on eBay back in February. Less than a month later I walked into my room to the smell of smoke. Sure enough, smoke was coming from one of the halide bulb sockets. I ran just the t5s for a few days until my Hamilton mh/t5 fixture arrived.

Thank goodness I got home when I did. I have two dogs and the thought of a house fire was scary enough without the thought of them not being able to escape. I know other people have had success with these fixtures, as I'd read that the electrical issues had been resolved, but this is one thing I will NEVER skimp out on again. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
G

Greaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's incredible that they are for sale with these stories. Definitely no longer an option. Glad I asked, I figured these fire risk stories from 5+ years ago were resolved. Yesh!

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, you live and learn. I don't know if it would have resulted in a full blown fire or not, but I consider myself lucky regardless

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck finding a light. I do really like the Hamilton mh/t5 if you're still thinking of going that route. My nems are happy and the fish look great. I went with 14k Hamilton bulbs with the actinic t5s. I'm considering swapping them out for their brand of 20ks and doing a mix of 420 and 460 t5s and see what I like better

OP
OP
G

Greaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely still looking into metal halide, I just wish the price was lower, halides are expensive! I'm leaning to making a floating canopy type install now.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please, please... never use an Odyssea. Even if it does not catch on fire, the ballasts are terrible and give MH a bad name.

If cost is an issue, check out some older AquaMedic or Giesemann fixtures. They are pretty cheap when you can find them and they are quality.

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craigslist and the reef forums had lots of halides for sale when the led craze happened a few years back. It's few and far between now but there still out there. If u look hard enough you'll find one.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has some hamilton fixtures on sale right now..

Grandis.

wooglins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to sell my Hamilton fixture for 3years and nary a nibble. 48 inch. No one wants that fossil.

OP
OP
G

Greaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to sell my Hamilton fixture for 3years and nary a nibble. 48 inch. No one wants that fossil.

PM me your best offer with shipping if you care too. I am looking at options, Halides are pricey.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck finding a light. I do really like the Hamilton mh/t5 if you're still thinking of going that route. My nems are happy and the fish look great. I went with 14k Hamilton bulbs with the actinic t5s. I'm considering swapping them out for their brand of 20ks and doing a mix of 420 and 460 t5s and see what I like better
The Hamilton 20k is really nice, customer service is top notch. OP, can't go wrong with hamilton

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hamilton 20k is really nice, customer service is top notch. OP, can't go wrong with hamilton

I read a review somewhere. The guy said he actually went from radium 20ks to the Hamiltons and preferred the Hamiltons. Figured I'd give it a go when it's time to replace the bulbs

OP
OP
G

Greaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, just spent some time working out the cost to build a similar lighting system as a Hamiliton MH +T5 and it costs nearly the same with added hassle and more potential problems. Stinks its got to be an $800+ for new gear.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a review somewhere. The guy said he actually went from radium 20ks to the Hamiltons and preferred the Hamiltons. Figured I'd give it a go when it's time to replace the bulbs
Do you have Radiums now? I heard both bulbs are great!
What type of ballasts you guys have?
You are blessed to have halides over your tanks!!
Enjoy!!

Grandis.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running their 14s. I tried Phoenix 14s first but prefer the Hamiltons. I just have the magnetic ballasts right now. When I switch over to the 20s, be it radium or Hamilton(leaning towards Hamilton), I'll also pick up electronic ballasts

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running their 14s. I tried Phoenix 14s first but prefer the Hamiltons. I just have the magnetic ballasts right now. When I switch over to the 20s, be it radium or Hamilton(leaning towards Hamilton), I'll also pick up electronic ballasts
I believe the Hamilton's will run on any ballast but the radiums ran on M80 ballasts. Can't go wrong either way.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back