New Opinions on this Metal Halide T5

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running their 14s. I tried Phoenix 14s first but prefer the Hamiltons. I just have the magnetic ballasts right now. When I switch over to the 20s, be it radium or Hamilton(leaning towards Hamilton), I'll also pick up electronic ballasts
You're blessed to have the halides running. Your tank must be amazing!
Oh man.. the electronic ballasts are great. I've heard some of them can boost the colors of some of the bulbs and they run quiet and cooler.
I also heard some people were testing some ballasts that doesn't transfer heat to the bulbs at all... I'm not sure.. I lost the links...
I kinda like to imagine having the Luxcore. You can dial the wattage you want and they run cool.
Aloha,
Grandis.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're blessed to have the halides running. Your tank must be amazing!
Oh man.. the electronic ballasts are great. I've heard some of them can boost the colors of some of the bulbs and they run quiet and cooler.
I also heard some people were testing some ballasts that doesn't transfer heat to the bulbs at all... I'm not sure.. I lost the links...
I kinda like to imagine having the Luxcore. You can dial the wattage you want and they run cool.
Aloha,
Grandis.

Thank you. I don't know if I'd say amazing.. The tank is pretty empty. A few nems and a couple frags. I haven't gone "all in" yet because I'd really like to upgrade to a larger tank. This is my first ever setup and went with a basic 55g from petco last summer during their $1/gallon sale. I went with the light because I knew from day 1 that I wanted to keep anemones. I also knew if I went with the 48" fixture that I could retain it once I go to a 150. Now I just need to hit the lottery and I'll be going somewhere lol

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I don't know if I'd say amazing.. The tank is pretty empty. A few nems and a couple frags. I haven't gone "all in" yet because I'd really like to upgrade to a larger tank. This is my first ever setup and went with a basic 55g from petco last summer during their $1/gallon sale. I went with the light because I knew from day 1 that I wanted to keep anemones. I also knew if I went with the 48" fixture that I could retain it once I go to a 150. Now I just need to hit the lottery and I'll be going somewhere lol
Take your time, but keep filling up that tank.
Here is a nice video about halides.

Grandis.

OP
OP
G

Greaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So still looking on how to light a 36X36X24 tank. Looking like Cozumel Sun is the best reflector for the job, appearances wise its height is a concern.

Cozumel Sun $410 (reflector, magnetic ballast, and a radium bulb)
207584-cozumelsunmh25wreflector-a.jpg

207586-cozumel-sun---side.jpg

Only problem is I think is it would require a floating canopy of some sort to mount any additional supplements I can't do a dark tank when the halide is off. Need to have at least 12 hours of viewing time, and a little more of moon lights.

I have one idea to use an Led I all ready own to give me some dawn / dusk / and moon lights, its a small 60w programable fixture the "Coral Box Moon". I think It could be mounted on wedge like angle to spread the light better being it can't be centered with the big reflector in the way. Heres a picture of it Coral Box Moon for anyone who hasn't seen it.
f6b89005-coral-box-moon-led-plus-gb.png

MOON-LED-Plus-Layout.jpg

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So still looking on how to light a 36X36X24 tank. Looking like Cozumel Sun is the best reflector for the job, appearances wise its height is a concern.

Cozumel Sun $410 (reflector, magnetic ballast, and a radium bulb)
207584-cozumelsunmh25wreflector-a.jpg

207586-cozumel-sun---side.jpg

Only problem is I think is it would require a floating canopy of some sort to mount any additional supplements I can't do a dark tank when the halide is off. Need to have at least 12 hours of viewing time, and a little more of moon lights.

I have one idea to use an Led I all ready own to give me some dawn / dusk / and moon lights, its a small 60w programable fixture the "Coral Box Moon". I think It could be mounted on wedge like angle to spread the light better being it can't be centered with the big reflector in the way. Heres a picture of it Coral Box Moon for anyone who hasn't seen it.
f6b89005-coral-box-moon-led-plus-gb.png

MOON-LED-Plus-Layout.jpg
You probably should build an open canopy and could also add this:
Supra Slim Line Dual T5 Retrofit Fixture - Reef Brite

supra-slimline-dual-title_2.jpg

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/supra-slim-line-dual-t5-retrofit-fixture-reef-brite.html

Grandis.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back