New or old SW for tank transfer?

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing another transfer today, just moved. Luckily just moving a tank though not moving from one to another or changing sizes, I always do about 75% old water. All new sand.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have changed tanks many times. No cycle regardless what you say.
There's always a 'cycle'. Any change in bioload or processing capacity results in a 'cycle', whether you notice or not.

It's a stupid term we should stop using as it implies there is 'a' thing your tank must complete and then it is safe for animals. No, it's a constant process that never ends. You aren't waiting for it to 'cycle'. You are waiting for the bacteria to multiply to match your bioload. And that happens every single time you add a new animal.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's always a 'cycle'. Any change in bioload or processing capacity results in a 'cycle', whether you notice or not.

It's a stupid term we should stop using as it implies there is 'a' thing your tank must complete and then it is safe for animals. No, it's a constant process that never ends. You aren't waiting for it to 'cycle'. You are waiting for the bacteria to multiply to match your bioload. And that happens every single time you add a new animal.
I was referring to the stupid name we use. The "cycle" as in no rise in ammonia that will harm animals in my closed system.
I was NOT referring to the constant cycle that is happening 100% of the time as a daily process.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime I transferred tanks I saved the old water and never had issues. You can then use new made saltwater if a mini cycle is triggered to dilute ammonia until tank stabilizes. I never lost any coral or animals in any of my transfers.

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doing another transfer today, just moved. Luckily just moving a tank though not moving from one to another or changing sizes, I always do about 75% old water. All new sand.
That's what I did. 75% new water. I cleaned the rocks "rip clean style ". I used a lot of H2O2. Scrubbed, picked with a dental tool, and rinsed with old water. I hope I didn't kill off too much beneficial bacteria. I know my coralline took a hit. I also used new sand. I'm expecting a cycle coming.

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently has a seam fail on my Red Sea xxl 750 - 3.5 years old. RS ended up replacing the entire tank/stand. Saved most live rock and some water - now 5 weeks into new tank, no cycle so far and all corals are doing well. I have a 2nd tank so saving live rock and most corals wasn’t too hard. Good luck !
did you move all fish, corals to the new tank at once? I'm planning my upgrade.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you move all fish, corals to the new tank at once? I'm planning my upgrade.
I moved all fish to 2 frag tanks lent to me by a local reefer friend. Some corals went into the frag tanks and some into my other tank. Some rock went into my other tank as well - some stayed in the failed tank which I kept flow going. Amazingly, some monitipora survived on the rock in the failed tank - without heat or light for more than 2 weeks! J

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back