New or old SW for tank transfer?

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm replacing my tank. Im using the old stand and sump. I have a bit of an algae issue so I'm going to take this opportunity to clean the rocks rip clean style. I spent 7hrs rinsing 30lbs of new sand. So clouds up in the bucket when agitated.
My question is: should I replace all old water or just some? I know I'll lose a lot with the holding tanks and rinsing rock while cleaning the rock. I'd like to replace most of the old SW with NSW but how do you drip acclimate decent size rocks with corals all over them? How would my corals handle No3 going from 10pmm to 0ppm and Po4 going from .04 to .00.
Now that I'm writing this I realize it's probably best to keep atleast 50% old water to keep the stress on the corals to a minimum and to deter diatoms from popping up in a low nutrient tank.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will....regardless of what anyone else might say. How big will it be...thats the question.
Disagree.

I didn’t do a new tank, but I had to empty 100% of my rockscape and corals to catch all my fish for copper treatment. Put all the corals and rocks back and never saw a significant change in any water parameters.

And FWIW, there’s really no reason to use 100% new water unless you really want to for some reason.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did my transfer I saved and used as much of the old water as I could.
I don't recall having any type of cycle (admit I didn't actually test except for adding an ammonia alert badge for peace of mind) but all the corals, inverts, and the fish never skipped a beat. Kept 90% of my old rock (one didn't fit in the new scape) but used new sand.

That said, it did kick off a new (thankfully shortlived) dino outbreak after the transfer, but I suspect that's because with the old sand removed it lost some stability/nutrient base, and I wasn't proactive about making sure my nutrients didn't bottom out again.
All this to say - maybe don't go to totally 0/0 water!

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I did my transfer I saved and used as much of the old water as I could.
I don't recall having any type of cycle (admit I didn't actually test except for adding an ammonia alert badge for peace of mind) but all the corals, inverts, and the fish never skipped a beat. Kept 90% of my old rock (one didn't fit in the new scape) but used new sand.

That said, it did kick off a new (thankfully shortlived) dino outbreak after the transfer, but I suspect that's because with the old sand removed it lost some stability/nutrient base, and I wasn't proactive about making sure my nutrients didn't bottom out again.
All this to say - maybe don't go to totally 0/0 water!
I might do a 50/50 water exchange.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to replace most of the old SW with NSW but how do you drip acclimate decent size rocks with corals all over them? How would my corals handle No3 going from 10pmm to 0ppm and Po4 going from .04 to .00.
You don't, and, about as well as you handle stepping out of a smoke filled room to get some fresh air.

I’m wondering why everyone is recommending not using the existing tank water. If the parameters are good, why not ?
There's some risk in moving everything about, especially in stirring up the sand. If all new water wasn't an option it'd be better to take needed old water out and store it before disturbing things. If this was a situation where op could take his time I'd say it's much much easier to get the new tank up and running full and then move stuff over a little at a time...

Real McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definitely a good thread for me as well.I am upgrading from a RedSea 300Xl 2 years old (no issues with leaks or no equipment issues either) to a 850G2.It was suggested to use as much of my old water as I can and I will be adding new sand .I will be using all my live rock and adding some cured life rock I have along with adding more life rock. I hope I will have no issue with the tank swap.From what I'm reading, it may be 90% successful.I do seem to have that saltwater thumb.Knock on wood.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm replacing my tank. Im using the old stand and sump. I have a bit of an algae issue so I'm going to take this opportunity to clean the rocks rip clean style. I spent 7hrs rinsing 30lbs of new sand. So clouds up in the bucket when agitated.
My question is: should I replace all old water or just some? I know I'll lose a lot with the holding tanks and rinsing rock while cleaning the rock. I'd like to replace most of the old SW with NSW but how do you drip acclimate decent size rocks with corals all over them? How would my corals handle No3 going from 10pmm to 0ppm and Po4 going from .04 to .00.
Now that I'm writing this I realize it's probably best to keep atleast 50% old water to keep the stress on the corals to a minimum and to deter diatoms from popping up in a low nutrient tank.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
If you have the ability just match the new water parameters and temp to what the coral are in . No acclimation needed. 100% water change no problem and is the way I did mine. Zero issues.

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
about as well as you handle stepping out of a smoke filled room to get some fresh air.

This is definitely a good thread for me as well.I am upgrading from a RedSea 300Xl 2 years old (no issues with leaks or no equipment issues either) to a 850G2.It was suggested to use as much of my old water as I can and I will be adding new sand .I will be using all my live rock and adding some cured life rock I have along with adding more life rock. I hope I will have no issue with the tank swap.From what I'm reading, it may be 90% successful.I do seem to have that saltwater thumb.Knock on wood.
Tomorrow is transfer day. I started tonight though. I had two rocks i was able to take the corals off. I glued them to frags so they can chill on the rack in a holding tank Tomorrow.
I scrubbed the rocks rip clean style. Dental picks, toothbrush, and a pipette with H2O2 to drop on algea. I beat bryopsis with flux but I'm still have GHA. I keep it at bay for the most part. But I haven't cleaned the tank in 2 weeks in anticipation for the transfer and the algae flourished.
I'm interested to see how my zoa rock with GHA all in the zoas are going to clean up. I fugue I'll just do a H2O2 bath and scrub and pick. Then there a rock with acan colonies. That's going to be interesting.
Tomorrow is the day

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a feeling. This is my first transfer. dang red sea tanks!
I recently has a seam fail on my Red Sea xxl 750 - 3.5 years old. RS ended up replacing the entire tank/stand. Saved most live rock and some water - now 5 weeks into new tank, no cycle so far and all corals are doing well. I have a 2nd tank so saving live rock and most corals wasn’t too hard. Good luck !

Attachments

• IMG_4215.jpeg
    IMG_4215.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 12

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I have done the same and jumped the cycle I believe it’s because of good live rock.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will....regardless of what anyone else might say. How big will it be...thats the question.

I have changed tanks many times. No cycle regardless what you say.

And why not use old tank water?
50% sounds like a good plan. It's just a big water change. Keep it warm today for the new tank. Save some water for rinsing. Keep the rocks wet while working on them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back