New Orphek Atlantik iCon LED Light

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My icons are being shipped from Hong Kong. I thought they were based off in Germany. Is this where your icons are coming from? I’m not getting a bootleg am I? It’s been sitting in shipment for over 7 days with no updates. Getting really aggravated as I have waited over a month.

I was under the impression that orphek was based in the USA and manufactured the lights here as well.

The lights have always been made in China, when you order direct you have the wait and it took about 10 days to get released from shipment in China and 2 days to get to Texas.

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my icons up and going since before they were released (July 2021). I'll say they are more powerful than their predecessors. I had my prior v4's at 100% (midday) on both the blue and UV/violet channels prior but with these I figured I'd do the same thing to begin with since they utilize the same power supply but quickly had corals bleaching. I currently only run the 2 blue channels at 80% and the uv/violet channels at 65% (midday). I'm thinking the channels are maybe getting more juice through the new pc/control cards ot something because they're mounted the same exact way as they have always been and nothing else with the tank has changed.

As for shimmer, you can look up any pictures or videos of orphek fixture of pretty much any version and see the shimmer effects because the leds and optics are the same throughout (only fixtures on the market that are upgradeable from their beginning)...

But I'll upload a few pics of my current setup.

Actinic:
20220117_164702~2.jpg

20211211_215512~2.jpg
20211211_215813~2.jpg

Whitest I go:
Ch1: 20%
Ch2: 20%
Ch3: 80%
Ch4: 80%
Ch5: 65%
Ch6: 65%
20211109_163108.jpg
20210901_163505~2.jpg

I'm still partial to the v4 layout and may still find the diode that took out the uv/violet channel to swap back to using the v4 led boards but who knows. The look is still great and the app and control is leaps and bounds above the old gateway and app!

All in all, I give them a 9.5 out of 10. Still better spread, color, and power than their competitors.

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights have always been made in China, when you order direct you have the wait and it took about 10 days to get released from shipment in China and 2 days to get to Texas.
Just checking if you still love your iCons?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glorified Mars black box
Greg Carroll said that on his reef bum interview. If they’re telling the truth about their diodes used, it’s a bit more than a glorified black box. Yes the grid arrangement looks reminiscent, but that’s about where it stops. Detailed control, tons of channels. Ultra wide spectrum. Bigger, more power.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg Carroll said that on his reef bum interview. If they’re telling the truth about their diodes used, it’s a bit more than a glorified black box. Yes the grid arrangement looks reminiscent, but that’s about where it stops. Detailed control, tons of channels. Ultra wide spectrum. Bigger, more power.

Agreed, the Icon is much nicer with the added aluminum and glass lenses, they are put together better as well.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Detailed control, more power and channels are all negatives

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Detailed control, more power and channels are all negatives

Compared to what? Again, do you even own these lights or have ever owned them?

Please let me know other than quoting a stream you saw your experience with these lights? What makes them inferior to your “little known LED light”

Trying to prevent this thread from turning into a place of misinformation, from trolls who like to comment on what they know nothing about.

Last edited:

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The design and look of these is impressive. I have the cheap black boxes and the comparisons are like night and day. What's interesting is the LED color layout. My black boxes worked to help get me going in the hobby yet I can see one of these Orphek Atlantics being the answer I been looking for.
They are also coming from china, same as their or bars..

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still happy with my icons that I upgraded. Having been inside the old black box value fixtures and these - well I guess one can call any led or brand a glorified black box.

More power and control a negative? Ok sure, why not. I’m sure less power and less control would change critics tune! Man it would be sweet if they were blue/white only diodes that one plugged into a timer.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compared to what? Again, do you even own these lights or have ever owned them?

Please let me know other than quoting a stream you saw your experience with these lights? What makes them inferior to your “little known LED light”

Trying to prevent this thread from turning into a place of misinformation, from trolls who like to comment on what they know nothing about.

what stream are you referring too? I’ve just used the lights and they perform similar to BB

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what stream are you referring too? I’ve just used the lights and they perform similar to BB

Reef Bum, in what way were they similar to BB?

What version were you running? Have a picture of the tank with them?

Other than being made in China I don’t see how they are similar at all including, build quality, spectrum, or control.

Im not defending the lights because I own them, It’s an honest question.

I have owned Stratons, G4 & G5 Radions, Reef Brites, ReeFi’s, BB’s, and still have GNC Blue Ray Pros & Kessil’s along with my Orpheks

I have compared my fair share of LED’s

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won the acro growout here in 2014 (threads deleted I fear now) but for the majority of that contest I was using the old value fixtures from reefbreeders and won out over people using t5, MH, and brand name led so being similar to a black box is really a bit of a complement really.

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long night but I got them in-

29B70DDD-68DF-4928-85B7-2100F43B4B71.jpeg
@Hydrored - do you have any additional details on your mounting approach? Looks like you are using 1515 80/20? How are you mounting the lights to the rail? Any other details would be appreciated (diagrams, parts, other links, etc.)

thank you!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hydrored - do you have any additional details on your mounting approach? Looks like you are using 1515 80/20? How are you mounting the lights to the rail? Any other details would be appreciated (diagrams, parts, other links, etc.)

thank you!

Just used to bolts that come with the light and slid them in the 1515 8020. @biecacka is spot on

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back