New overflow leaking.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One side is leaking out the pipe And the other side is leaking around the threads. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be like that. But I can't see it being like that. I haven't done one of these for a while, so just double-checking the tanks. About 3/4 full used magic lube on the threads and the gaskets.
I don't want to tighten anymore because I'm worried about overtightening it. And causing more problems, it is really tight right now.

20231021_135613.jpg 20231021_135624.jpg 20231021_135536.jpg

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate plumbing, and tightening plastic threads to collapse seals properly is generally a challenge for me.

I use silicone lubricant on the threads and remind myself that these are made to be hand tight / sealed. I usually hand tighten them and then cheat and use a tool to put the final 1/8th turn on the threads because I figure that a real plumber has vice grip-like hands and I can hardly squeeze the Charmin any more. HTH.

Upvote 0

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a leak on the bulkhead coming out of my sump for my external return pump. Added some gasket grease and put 12in channel locks on it to tighten up and haven’t had an issue since. Gaskets are meant to be well lubricated or else they will bind up as the bulkhead is tightened, no matter how tight you get it, there will still be a wrinkle in the gasket allowing water through.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jasonak

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is an external overflow box, the gasket should go between the tank and the overflow box not on the nut or flange side. Silicon o-ring lube on the gasket will help seal it as well.
Hi,thanks for replying.
Yes both gaskets are up against the glass. One between inner box and one between outer box.

Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,thanks for replying.
Yes both gaskets are up against the glass. One between inner box and one between outer box.
Bulkhead gaskets NEVER go between the NUT and the tank wall. They serve no purpose there.

A gasket between the overflow box and tank will prevent water from leaking to the floor.
A gasket between the flange and the tank (or overflow box) will prevent water from leaking between the two.

The nest part is tightness.. Yes bulkheads usually only need to be hand tight + 1/4 turn or so. But in this type of setup the gaskets need to be compressed until they do not leak. No too far your the nut will crack.

Do not smear sealant on them, it will just make a mess and allow them to squash out under pressure when tightening.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jasonak

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyone's reply's.
To be clear as I can. There is a gasket between the back of the inner box and the back of the tank.
The other gasket went between the back of the external box and the back of the glass.

Bean
Do you think I should remove them and clean the magic lube off ?
thanks ?

There is no water leaking outside the tank.

Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyone's reply's.
To be clear as I can. There is a gasket between the back of the inner box and the back of the tank.
The other gasket went between the back of the external box and the back of the glass.

Bean
Do you think I should remove them and clean the magic lube off ?
thanks ?

There is no water leaking outside the tank.
There is nothing to stop the water leaking from the Inside book to the outside, assuming the bulkheads are not permanently sealed to the inside box.

water leaks between the flange and box and follows the threads. They can’t be sealed. That is what the flange gasket is for. You need three gaskets in this situation.

Upvote 0

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You need three gaskets in this situation.
Not trying to argue with you but with these types of overflows why does it matter if a bit of water seeps from one side to the other (internally)? The only gasket needed is between the external box and the tank to prevent any water from leaking outside the tank.

Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to argue with you but with these types of overflows why does it matter if a bit of water seeps from one side to the other (internally)? The only gasket needed is between the external box and the tank to prevent any water from leaking outside the tank.
Correct, it won’t likely matter in normal operation. I was simply answering his question.

Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also note- that adding three gaskets will require 1.5x more force from the bulkhead nut to achieve the minimum force to seal compared to 2 gaskets... the required torque adds up quickly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jasonak

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, it won’t likely matter in normal operation. I was simply answering his question.

I hear you, It is just dripping so the tank would have to be off for a long time before it would over flow my sump. As it is only 3/4 full I know more water more preasure leak will most likely be more rapid. But that was my main concern that it would over flow my sump.

Thank you to everyone again for your help and feedback, Im probably just being over concerned.
The floor is being replaced right now from a previous flood (not from the tank's) so probably more nervous about this than normal :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 46 41.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back