New PBT swollen abdomen Help

Skh_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My new PBT has swollen abdomen and he is not swimming like the first day added to tank.

The first day, added to tank, he ate algea in my tank and also I fed him some clam with vitamin C and multivitamin. The next day he didnt eat any thing. also, he didnt eat algea. he completely looses his appetite. Moreover, he swims lethargically.

I read the metro with kanamycin treat the internal disease. Also, I read sometimes it will be healed by itself. Could you guide me what should i do?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

20210606_085628.jpg

20210606_090155.jpg

20210606_090201.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I wonder if it has an intestinal blockage? Perhaps it ate too much algae the first day. The swelling seems lumpy, which implies it is in the intestines. If it was ascites/water swelling, the belly would be smoother.
There isn’t anything to do for this other than wait to see if it clears. People say add Epsom salts to the water, but that does not work - that salt is the fourth most common salt in your mix to begin with. You can add Epsom salts to the food at 3%, but of course, the fish isn’t eating, so that won’t work in this case.
Jay

OP
OP
S

Skh_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I wonder if it has an intestinal blockage? Perhaps it ate too much algae the first day. The swelling seems lumpy, which implies it is in the intestines. If it was ascites/water swelling, the belly would be smoother.
There isn’t anything to do for this other than wait to see if it clears. People say add Epsom salts to the water, but that does not work - that salt is the fourth most common salt in your mix to begin with. You can add Epsom salts to the food at 3%, but of course, the fish isn’t eating, so that won’t work in this case.
Jay
Thank you Jay for your response.

as you mentioned, the first day he ate too much algea. also he ate the clam.
Someone told me the clam should not be fed to PBT resulting in the swollen intestine, is it correct?

is the blokage/swollen serious problem or not?

I read @Humblefish mentioned kanamycin helped his PBT when he had swollen belly. Do you think it helps or not?

Currently, I dont have hospital tank and i should bath the fish with metro and kanamycin. So i should catch the fish to bath with antibiotic. Does the bathing with antibiotic worth to stress the fish or let the problem will be solved by itself?

today I noticed the swollen has increased.

Also, Someone recommended me to dose garlic and metro to the whole tank. Is it useful?

Thank you again for your time.

OP
OP
S

Skh_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I added grated garlic and metro to water. Five metronidazole tablets which are 250, have been added to 600 liter water every 12 hr. The fish pooped after adding grated garlic and metro. However, the swollen intestinal has increased. Could someone please help me and shed some light on this problem?
Thank you in advance.
20210609_082748.jpg

20210609_082742.jpg

Brittanyjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No answer here, but interesting question. Did you quarantine him before adding to DT?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I added grated garlic and metro to water. Five metronidazole tablets which are 250, have been added to 600 liter water every 12 hr. The fish pooped after adding grated garlic and metro. However, the swollen intestinal has increased. Could someone please help me and shed some light on this problem?
Thank you in advance.
20210609_082748.jpg

20210609_082742.jpg
Adding garlic to the water has no tested benefit. I’m on my phone and can’t check your metronidazole dose, but if correct, you may see some benefit if the issue is gut protozoans.

What did the feces look like? That could give a clue as to the root issue. Is the fish still feeding?

Jay

OP
OP
S

Skh_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding garlic to the water has no tested benefit. I’m on my phone and can’t check your metronidazole dose, but if correct, you may see some benefit if the issue is gut protozoans.

What did the feces look like? That could give a clue as to the root issue. Is the fish still feeding?

Jay
Thank you Jay for your response.

The first color of feces was brown and it was completely dry. It was very hard for fish to excerate the brown feces. the second color of feces was green and it was not dry and looks normal.

The fish didnt eat anything.

I dosed metro tablets to the reef tank. I didnt see the negative results, but somebody warned me to not do it. Is it harmful for reef?

could you please give me the dosage? I have strong filteration and i dont think it will remain in the water long enogth.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Skh_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And one more question, how many days the fish can be alive without eating?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And one more question, how many days the fish can be alive without eating?
Many of these fish go 14 days or more with little to no food from the time of collection until they reach the pet stores tanks.
The description of the feces does not sound like protozoan or bacterial infection, but more like constipation or a physical blockage. I’ve never heard of clams causing this but maybe?
I would stop dosing your display tank with metronidazole, that should only be dosed in a treatment tank.
In freshwater fish, Epsom salts in the water is supposed to help constipation. The trouble is that saltwater already has a lot of Epsom salts in it, so that won’t help.
I’m sorry that I can’t help you more, but if it is a physical blockage, there just isn’t anything to be done.
Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back