Tailspot Blenny with abdominal swelling.

shkeats

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 18, 2024
Messages
10
Reaction score
11
Location
London
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

My tailspot blenny is very unwell with a swollen abdomen and I wanted to check in to see if I'm missing anything obvious or if anything can be done to help. I appreciate the answer to that question may be no, but any expert advice would be appreciated. There's a bit of a story where I treated one set of symptoms (possibly to excess) and arrived at another. Pictures included throughout and I've attempted to attach a video of the fish struggling about trying to feed.

Some pictures of the tailspot when (at least to my amateur eyes) it was well/happy earlier in year:

1749658313450.png

1749658334626.png

1749658360840.png


Initial symptoms
- Flashing. (In retrospect this started ocassionally in late March but it took time for it to progress enough for me to be sure.)
Progressively worse from mid-late April:
- Eating little to nothing, this was a gradual reduction.
- Spitting food when it did try to eat.
- Rapid gills, this started later on.
- Lethargy.
- Faded/dull looking eyes.

Treatment
- I suspected flukes and tried to catch the fish several times to perform a fresh water dip to verify, but was unable to do so. (This definitely added stress and caused the fish to behave differently in my presence.)
From mid May:
- I purchased some API general cure and began to treat as instructed (half a pack as the recommended dose for my aquarium size), removing carbon and water changing as instructed.
- This showed promising signs of improvements after the recommended two treatments and the fish began to eat again and showed fewer signs of irratition without ever completely resolving.
- I noticed immediately after adding the treatment a small white patch appearing behind the gills, this seemed to be continous and not a collection of small dots as with ich. This sort of faded white marking is still present across the body now.
- Each time after showing improvement with dosing, the fish would then slowly return to symptoms again and stop eating.
- I repeated this process 3 times, and then in a moment of potential madness added one final 'double' dose. which may have been a critical mistake. The fish reacted poorly to this immediately, with heavy breathing and lethargy, so I performed a 25% water change straight away and added carbon to try to offset.

Current symptoms
- Has a symetrically, quite severely distended abdomen. The fish when well fed and healthy did normally have a bit of a pot belly but this is markedly more extreme.
- Loss of weight in other areas of the body, ridges (bones?) visible through body and in tail.
- A faded white colouration on the surface of the skin, unsure if this is a loss of colour generally, skin irritation or parasite/infection.
- A prominent vein(?) / artery visible on one side of the abdomen.
- Has totally abandoned his normal cave in the rocks and now spends his time on top of the rock structure.
- After a long hunger strike, has begun eating again in the last 3-4 days, quite voraciously, seems particularly keen but also struggling to grab food from water column effectively.
- Has been producing a mixture of normal looking poo and also stringy white/empty ones. Some contain what looks like grit/sand from the subtrate.

Pictures of the fish now:

1749658873032.png


1749659255319.png

1749659271518.png


My tank:
I'm a new reefer with a small Fluval 5 gallon Evo tank, the tank was setup late last year and stocked in December.
I do weekly 25% water changes, I've only missed one delayed to about 10 days or so due to a holiday.
I run a two layer sponge (one slice of the stock fluval filter and one finer layer of biopad M). I run a small bag of fluval activated carbon (except when medicating). Both of these I change weekly.
I use distilled water from a reputable source mixed with aquaforest reef salt to about 34ppt.
I have an ATO that tops up the same distilled water.

Feeding:
I feed a mix of: supa algae wafers (fishmeal/spurilina etc.) [A favorite with the fish as they break down easily], Hakarri seaweed extreme, frozen mysis chopped down a bit, and mysis RS flake. I feed a larger amount of food once a day with ocassionall pinches of flake throughout when I'm there which is most days.

A break in normal routine.
I took a 10 day holiday in early April where my parents visited every other day and fed a slightly larger amount of a pre portioned mix of the various dried foods except mysis. No water change during this time, I did that on return, but they filled the ATO and changed the filter sponges once. I kept an eye on the tank with a webcam and all seemed well, apart from a slight build up in Algae and dirt in the tank that was probably proportional to the lack of water change.

Other inhabitants:
All doing well except Blenny. No other fish.

- 1 dwarf blue legged hermit
- 1 black legged hermit that started the same size and is now terrifyingly big.
- 1 turbo trochus snail.
Corals:
All doing well throughout this, aside from small short tem negative reaction during API General Cure dosing. (sliming etc.)

Kenya tree, GSP, Toadstool leather, 3 different mushrooms.

The fish and corals were all purchased in person from AAC who are a reputable here in the UK, I took advice on appropriate stocking and settled on just one fish.

Water tests
I've seen nothing of concern in my regular water tests, ammonia neglible, almost undetectable nitrate. Included are the my ICP test results from early May while the fish was symptomatic, which broadly match my own testing and didn't flag anything of particular concern to me.
1749660040640.png

1749660054272.png

1749660076760.png

1749660106797.png


Video of fish feeding:
Taken today


I've read https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/causes-of-abdominal-swelling-in-fishes.1098720/ and understand that some kind of organ failure is a likely explanation, which I suppose could be related to excessive dosing of API General Cure?

Probably unrelated but there has been a bit of an outburst of brownish flatworms on the glass of the tank in the past two months. I tend to clean them away with the scraper intermittently.

Any other theories from fish medics are welcomed and if there's anything I could or should try, e.g. treating for internal parasites please let me know. I don't have a hospital tank or quarantine option but I do have containers and a spare heater and pump that could be fashioned to some purpose to try a non reef-safe intervention. I suppose the return of appetite is a cause for some hope here but otherwise I understand this is not a promising symptom.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,
Shaun
 
Hello all,

My tailspot blenny is very unwell with a swollen abdomen and I wanted to check in to see if I'm missing anything obvious or if anything can be done to help. I appreciate the answer to that question may be no, but any expert advice would be appreciated. There's a bit of a story where I treated one set of symptoms (possibly to excess) and arrived at another. Pictures included throughout and I've attempted to attach a video of the fish struggling about trying to feed.

Some pictures of the tailspot when (at least to my amateur eyes) it was well/happy earlier in year:

1749658313450.png

1749658334626.png

1749658360840.png


Initial symptoms
- Flashing. (In retrospect this started ocassionally in late March but it took time for it to progress enough for me to be sure.)
Progressively worse from mid-late April:
- Eating little to nothing, this was a gradual reduction.
- Spitting food when it did try to eat.
- Rapid gills, this started later on.
- Lethargy.
- Faded/dull looking eyes.

Treatment
- I suspected flukes and tried to catch the fish several times to perform a fresh water dip to verify, but was unable to do so. (This definitely added stress and caused the fish to behave differently in my presence.)
From mid May:
- I purchased some API general cure and began to treat as instructed (half a pack as the recommended dose for my aquarium size), removing carbon and water changing as instructed.
- This showed promising signs of improvements after the recommended two treatments and the fish began to eat again and showed fewer signs of irratition without ever completely resolving.
- I noticed immediately after adding the treatment a small white patch appearing behind the gills, this seemed to be continous and not a collection of small dots as with ich. This sort of faded white marking is still present across the body now.
- Each time after showing improvement with dosing, the fish would then slowly return to symptoms again and stop eating.
- I repeated this process 3 times, and then in a moment of potential madness added one final 'double' dose. which may have been a critical mistake. The fish reacted poorly to this immediately, with heavy breathing and lethargy, so I performed a 25% water change straight away and added carbon to try to offset.

Current symptoms
- Has a symetrically, quite severely distended abdomen. The fish when well fed and healthy did normally have a bit of a pot belly but this is markedly more extreme.
- Loss of weight in other areas of the body, ridges (bones?) visible through body and in tail.
- A faded white colouration on the surface of the skin, unsure if this is a loss of colour generally, skin irritation or parasite/infection.
- A prominent vein(?) / artery visible on one side of the abdomen.
- Has totally abandoned his normal cave in the rocks and now spends his time on top of the rock structure.
- After a long hunger strike, has begun eating again in the last 3-4 days, quite voraciously, seems particularly keen but also struggling to grab food from water column effectively.
- Has been producing a mixture of normal looking poo and also stringy white/empty ones. Some contain what looks like grit/sand from the subtrate.

Pictures of the fish now:

1749658873032.png


1749659255319.png

1749659271518.png


My tank:
I'm a new reefer with a small Fluval 5 gallon Evo tank, the tank was setup late last year and stocked in December.
I do weekly 25% water changes, I've only missed one delayed to about 10 days or so due to a holiday.
I run a two layer sponge (one slice of the stock fluval filter and one finer layer of biopad M). I run a small bag of fluval activated carbon (except when medicating). Both of these I change weekly.
I use distilled water from a reputable source mixed with aquaforest reef salt to about 34ppt.
I have an ATO that tops up the same distilled water.

Feeding:
I feed a mix of: supa algae wafers (fishmeal/spurilina etc.) [A favorite with the fish as they break down easily], Hakarri seaweed extreme, frozen mysis chopped down a bit, and mysis RS flake. I feed a larger amount of food once a day with ocassionall pinches of flake throughout when I'm there which is most days.

A break in normal routine.
I took a 10 day holiday in early April where my parents visited every other day and fed a slightly larger amount of a pre portioned mix of the various dried foods except mysis. No water change during this time, I did that on return, but they filled the ATO and changed the filter sponges once. I kept an eye on the tank with a webcam and all seemed well, apart from a slight build up in Algae and dirt in the tank that was probably proportional to the lack of water change.

Other inhabitants:
All doing well except Blenny. No other fish.

- 1 dwarf blue legged hermit
- 1 black legged hermit that started the same size and is now terrifyingly big.
- 1 turbo trochus snail.
Corals:
All doing well throughout this, aside from small short tem negative reaction during API General Cure dosing. (sliming etc.)

Kenya tree, GSP, Toadstool leather, 3 different mushrooms.

The fish and corals were all purchased in person from AAC who are a reputable here in the UK, I took advice on appropriate stocking and settled on just one fish.

Water tests
I've seen nothing of concern in my regular water tests, ammonia neglible, almost undetectable nitrate. Included are the my ICP test results from early May while the fish was symptomatic, which broadly match my own testing and didn't flag anything of particular concern to me.
1749660040640.png

1749660054272.png

1749660076760.png

1749660106797.png


Video of fish feeding:
Taken today


I've read https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/causes-of-abdominal-swelling-in-fishes.1098720/ and understand that some kind of organ failure is a likely explanation, which I suppose could be related to excessive dosing of API General Cure?

Probably unrelated but there has been a bit of an outburst of brownish flatworms on the glass of the tank in the past two months. I tend to clean them away with the scraper intermittently.

Any other theories from fish medics are welcomed and if there's anything I could or should try, e.g. treating for internal parasites please let me know. I don't have a hospital tank or quarantine option but I do have containers and a spare heater and pump that could be fashioned to some purpose to try a non reef-safe intervention. I suppose the return of appetite is a cause for some hope here but otherwise I understand this is not a promising symptom.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,
Shaun

This fish may very well be egg-bound as it does occur. If not, other would be edema with fluid buildup
 
I agree with egg bound - and I second that since vettguy said the same thing. That is severe, though, and I might consider holding feeding for a couple days - and or adding more mysis shrimp - or fiber to the diet. These small fish also do not live forever, and it may be that there is some internal issue - that's not treatable. The fact that its no better with the treatments you used - suggest the latter.
 
Hello all,

My tailspot blenny is very unwell with a swollen abdomen and I wanted to check in to see if I'm missing anything obvious or if anything can be done to help. I appreciate the answer to that question may be no, but any expert advice would be appreciated. There's a bit of a story where I treated one set of symptoms (possibly to excess) and arrived at another. Pictures included throughout and I've attempted to attach a video of the fish struggling about trying to feed.

Some pictures of the tailspot when (at least to my amateur eyes) it was well/happy earlier in year:

1749658313450.png

1749658334626.png

1749658360840.png


Initial symptoms
- Flashing. (In retrospect this started ocassionally in late March but it took time for it to progress enough for me to be sure.)
Progressively worse from mid-late April:
- Eating little to nothing, this was a gradual reduction.
- Spitting food when it did try to eat.
- Rapid gills, this started later on.
- Lethargy.
- Faded/dull looking eyes.

Treatment
- I suspected flukes and tried to catch the fish several times to perform a fresh water dip to verify, but was unable to do so. (This definitely added stress and caused the fish to behave differently in my presence.)
From mid May:
- I purchased some API general cure and began to treat as instructed (half a pack as the recommended dose for my aquarium size), removing carbon and water changing as instructed.
- This showed promising signs of improvements after the recommended two treatments and the fish began to eat again and showed fewer signs of irratition without ever completely resolving.
- I noticed immediately after adding the treatment a small white patch appearing behind the gills, this seemed to be continous and not a collection of small dots as with ich. This sort of faded white marking is still present across the body now.
- Each time after showing improvement with dosing, the fish would then slowly return to symptoms again and stop eating.
- I repeated this process 3 times, and then in a moment of potential madness added one final 'double' dose. which may have been a critical mistake. The fish reacted poorly to this immediately, with heavy breathing and lethargy, so I performed a 25% water change straight away and added carbon to try to offset.

Current symptoms
- Has a symetrically, quite severely distended abdomen. The fish when well fed and healthy did normally have a bit of a pot belly but this is markedly more extreme.
- Loss of weight in other areas of the body, ridges (bones?) visible through body and in tail.
- A faded white colouration on the surface of the skin, unsure if this is a loss of colour generally, skin irritation or parasite/infection.
- A prominent vein(?) / artery visible on one side of the abdomen.
- Has totally abandoned his normal cave in the rocks and now spends his time on top of the rock structure.
- After a long hunger strike, has begun eating again in the last 3-4 days, quite voraciously, seems particularly keen but also struggling to grab food from water column effectively.
- Has been producing a mixture of normal looking poo and also stringy white/empty ones. Some contain what looks like grit/sand from the subtrate.

Pictures of the fish now:

1749658873032.png


1749659255319.png

1749659271518.png


My tank:
I'm a new reefer with a small Fluval 5 gallon Evo tank, the tank was setup late last year and stocked in December.
I do weekly 25% water changes, I've only missed one delayed to about 10 days or so due to a holiday.
I run a two layer sponge (one slice of the stock fluval filter and one finer layer of biopad M). I run a small bag of fluval activated carbon (except when medicating). Both of these I change weekly.
I use distilled water from a reputable source mixed with aquaforest reef salt to about 34ppt.
I have an ATO that tops up the same distilled water.

Feeding:
I feed a mix of: supa algae wafers (fishmeal/spurilina etc.) [A favorite with the fish as they break down easily], Hakarri seaweed extreme, frozen mysis chopped down a bit, and mysis RS flake. I feed a larger amount of food once a day with ocassionall pinches of flake throughout when I'm there which is most days.

A break in normal routine.
I took a 10 day holiday in early April where my parents visited every other day and fed a slightly larger amount of a pre portioned mix of the various dried foods except mysis. No water change during this time, I did that on return, but they filled the ATO and changed the filter sponges once. I kept an eye on the tank with a webcam and all seemed well, apart from a slight build up in Algae and dirt in the tank that was probably proportional to the lack of water change.

Other inhabitants:
All doing well except Blenny. No other fish.

- 1 dwarf blue legged hermit
- 1 black legged hermit that started the same size and is now terrifyingly big.
- 1 turbo trochus snail.
Corals:
All doing well throughout this, aside from small short tem negative reaction during API General Cure dosing. (sliming etc.)

Kenya tree, GSP, Toadstool leather, 3 different mushrooms.

The fish and corals were all purchased in person from AAC who are a reputable here in the UK, I took advice on appropriate stocking and settled on just one fish.

Water tests
I've seen nothing of concern in my regular water tests, ammonia neglible, almost undetectable nitrate. Included are the my ICP test results from early May while the fish was symptomatic, which broadly match my own testing and didn't flag anything of particular concern to me.
1749660040640.png

1749660054272.png

1749660076760.png

1749660106797.png


Video of fish feeding:
Taken today


I've read https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/causes-of-abdominal-swelling-in-fishes.1098720/ and understand that some kind of organ failure is a likely explanation, which I suppose could be related to excessive dosing of API General Cure?

Correct. No probably not due to excessive dose - except that time-wise actutely - It is nearly always an error to overdose the medication - but - in reality most of the medications have a margin of error built in. So I wouldn't feel too bad about it.
Probably unrelated but there has been a bit of an outburst of brownish flatworms on the glass of the tank in the past two months. I tend to clean them away with the scraper intermittently.
Agree unrelated - except that it suggest a general 'unclean' (no offense) - situation which is allowing the worms to grow even on the glass
Any other theories from fish medics are welcomed and if there's anything I could or should try, e.g. treating for internal parasites please let me know. I don't have a hospital tank or quarantine option but I do have containers and a spare heater and pump that could be fashioned to some purpose to try a non reef-safe intervention. I suppose the return of appetite is a cause for some hope here but otherwise I understand this is not a promising symptom.
I would continue to watch - it's not a swim bladder issue and may be related to eggs as already discussed. The lifespan of that fish in a tank could be 3-8 years if you take min to max - I don't know where you are at.

Nothing I know of except for repeating metronidazole (not general cure) might help this aside from feeding non-constipating foods
Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,
Shaun
 
Thanks everyone for your advice and input.

I'll go with watchful waiting as metronidazole alone doesn't seem to be available here. There's been no real change in the past few days for better or worse. I've continued to feed just because were coming off the back of quite a long period of no eating or undereating, but now it's got a few days of food on board I'll try a gap of a couple of days to see if that impacts the swelling.

On being egg bound, I was under the vague impression that the blenny was male based on reading that the elongated forks at at the tip of the tail implied this? But, that may just be internet hearsay and I appreciate sexing fish (for species where that is meaningful) is difficult. Feel free to correct me on this point.

I'll post an update and let everyone know how things go in case this can be helpful to others in future.

In the meantime, any other pieces of advice or input are much welcomed. Happy to provide any further info or pictures that anyone would find useful.

Thanks again,
Shaun
 
My Tailspot has a similar look, otherwise normal. Any update?
Sorry for not posting an update. Unfortunately the Blenny didn't make it. Went downhill and died a few days after my last post. I don't know any more now than I did then or I would offer some advice. Good luck with your fish!
 
Sorry for not posting an update. Unfortunately the Blenny didn't make it. Went downhill and died a few days after my last post. I don't know any more now than I did then or I would offer some advice. Good luck with your fish!
Thanks for the update, bummer your fish perished.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new