New peninsula build... maybe... Looking for feedback

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. If you've seen this before, my apologies, I'm re-vamping the idea.

60x30x18" peninsula tank, NO, read ZERO equipment UNDER the tank. There's a closet, opening from the other side, behind this system. All the equipment will be located there. That leaves me with an overflow that has to pass through a wall.

I'm looking at the H2Overflow. Either the one they build, or something similar. The wall is 5" thick. On the sump side of the wall, an external overflow box of some sort... probably just glue up something custom, with 3x 1" bulkheads for a 'beananimal' type drain. Short drop to the sump, gate valve on one of the downtubes...

I'm also looking at a dual level sump system, built from a pair of 30g breeders with minimal partitions, as much open space as I can have.

Love to have some thoughts on this, especially how folks think the dual sump system is going to work. Top will hold skimmer, reactors, etc. Bottom will be macro algae. Any concerns that folks have about the overflow, _before_ I start spending money, would be great :)

Some concept sketches:

An 'overall' idea...

Overall.jpg

A view of the sump concept:
SumpView.jpg

And a 'wall view', showing the drain plumbing. 2.5" tube from the H2Overflow. Returns are outside of this plan...

WallView.jpg

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one more or less like that for years though I used a U tube overflow. The box was in the tank and the tank was right against the wall. U tube and other box were between the drywall (it was cut out oversized and then replaced). I had a sub-panel right there so I ran the pipe about 8 or 9 feet and then had my sump on the floor. If I had the room, I would have loved to have a stand alone 'fuge.

The only thing I would do is split the tank water - half going directly to the 'fuge and the other half to the sump. That way the plants and pods will get a chance to take out what they need before the skimmer strips it.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google's Sketch-up. Easy, free, fairly accurate... it's not autocad, but it works well for this kind of thing.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will there be some sort of louver in the closet door or something else for air circulation so the closet doesn't turn into a swamp?

See, that's the kind of thinking I need, to catch this sort of thing _before_ I start building ;)

The doors of the closet that the sumps will be in are sliding mirrored doors, there's good sized gaps between and around. No louvers, but it's nowhere near air tight. I have a plan to install a vent in the closet ceiling, exhausting into the attic, IF it becomes necessary. I'll watch the humidity in the closet, and take further action as needed.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back