New Pink Skunk Clown, Peeling Scales

parker11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Two days ago I bought a pair of pink skunk clowns from my LFS. I noticed that one of them had some light white marks on some of its scales in a patch as soon as I got it in my tank. For some reason the lights at the LFS made it hard to see but it was obvious in my tank. It has gotten dramatically worse. I attached some photos of each side but when you look close at the edges of the discoloration you can see scales peeking back almost like skin after a sunburn. Luckily this is a brand new 50 gal low boy setup, so there are no other fish or corals in the tank other than these two. The other one is super shy but it seems fine. Let me know if you know anything about this, thinking about bring them back to the LFS but I really like them.
9B7D5D6E-8425-4070-A001-5CF680AA2D10.jpeg
C2D112C2-F9CE-4D27-8ECB-31A7E72F518C.jpeg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles. This looks to be Brooklynella or bacterial.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello,

Two days ago I bought a pair of pink skunk clowns from my LFS. I noticed that one of them had some light white marks on some of its scales in a patch as soon as I got it in my tank. For some reason the lights at the LFS made it hard to see but it was obvious in my tank. It has gotten dramatically worse. I attached some photos of each side but when you look close at the edges of the discoloration you can see scales peeking back almost like skin after a sunburn. Luckily this is a brand new 50 gal low boy setup, so there are no other fish or corals in the tank other than these two. The other one is super shy but it seems fine. Let me know if you know anything about this, thinking about bring them back to the LFS but I really like them.
9B7D5D6E-8425-4070-A001-5CF680AA2D10.jpeg
C2D112C2-F9CE-4D27-8ECB-31A7E72F518C.jpeg
This fish has a bacterial infection likely secondary . Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the slime and assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
Is fish eating?
is it breathing normal or labored ?

OP
OP
P

parker11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish has a bacterial infection likely secondary . Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the slime and assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
Is fish eating?
is it breathing normal or labored ?
Thanks for the reply! I don’t currently have any formalin, or a quarantine system. I’ve thought about the fresh water dip but I know that will just give temporary relief. If I were to bring these back to my LFS would I have to go feral for 6 weeks? They’ve been in the tank for two days, the tank just finished it’s first cycle. Tanks about two weeks old so I’m bummed this happened

OP
OP
P

parker11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! I don’t currently have any formalin, or a quarantine system. I’ve thought about the fresh water dip but I know that will just give temporary relief. If I were to bring these back to my LFS would I have to go feral for 6 weeks? They’ve been in the tank for two days, the tank just finished it’s first cycle. Tanks about two weeks old so I’m bummed this happened
Fish didn’t eat the first day but I’m not sure when the fish store fed them, but it ate the next day. Breathing seems normal too my knowledge

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
6 weeks, recommended and i'd be shocked if they took them back as these would be exposed to their systems. FW dip will buy time but rally pro as mentioned is an alternative

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish didn’t eat the first day but I’m not sure when the fish store fed them, but it ate the next day. Breathing seems normal too my knowledge

Do you know the history of these clownfish? Specifically, were they wild caught or tank raised? The former are prone to a lot more types of infections.

From what I can see, I would side with this being bacterial, due to its localized nature. Brooklynella can be similar, but that tends to be more broadly spread across the fish's body.

Jay

OP
OP
P

parker11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the history of these clownfish? Specifically, were they wild caught or tank raised? The former are prone to a lot more types of infections.

From what I can see, I would side with this being bacterial, due to its localized nature. Brooklynella can be similar, but that tends to be more broadly spread across the fish's body.

Jay
My guess would be wild caught as that is what most fish are at my LFS. Would bacterial be as contagious/ have the same feral period length?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be wild caught as that is what most fish are at my LFS. Would bacterial be as contagious/ have the same feral period length?
Most bacteria that affect fish externally are common species, present in most/all aquariums, and only become pathogenic when the fish has low resistance and/or some damage to the skin that lets the bacteria invade. There is no fallow period for thee, as each aquarium has them present....

Jay

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back