new popbloom rs90

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the complaints i heard about the original (the Redsea RL90) is that the blue is a little pinkish/purplish, is that the case with the Popbloom also?

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad that i sparked some conversation on this topic ;)

Most of equipment that is common in usa, and that is not limited to hardware only, same goes for almost anything, is unavailable in my country, even if some thing is available, price is insane.

On line ordering from usa is also very poor option, primary because shipping fees and import taxes.

So, not realy sure what is exact price of par meter in usa, for example, i had a offer to buy one for incredibly low price of 950 usd (in local currency).... :)

At that was only time i saw someone actualy sell such thing localy.

Back to topic.

What i mean, if lets say, at 2pm, configured preset (any of them) is:

Ch1 - 100
Ch2 - 80
Ch3 - 100
Ch4 - 75

Not exact numbers, only for example.

If we change all of chanels at same percent, lets say, turn down each channel for 20%, i assume we keep same spectrum of light, just with lower par.

But, if we change one or more channel,.for example we set:

Ch1 - 35
Ch2 - 75
Ch3 - 100
Ch4 - 85

Putting par asside, did we still have correct spectrum, same one from factory preset, or did we just change spectrum into something that can have negative impact? That was my thinking.

I use my own timings, keeping mind of "12 hours total, 4 hours full power" principle, of course, with just a few low demanding corals, "full power" is not all chanels on 100, on peak time, only ch 3 is at 100, ch1 is at 30......

Tank looks stunning, coral seems happy, so my question is more theoretical, rather than something is wrong...

And my thinking goes in way that will be great that we have channel settings and timings for all factory.presets, just like they put "vivid colors" in manual, so that we can copy same channel % just with our custom times, or, adjust levels to suit our needs with little mathematics to keep same spectrum as factory preset, just with lower intensity.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the complaints i heard about the original (the Redsea RL90) is that the blue is a little pinkish/purplish, is that the case with the Popbloom also?
I think it's pretty solid blue.

Very little to no red in channels 2-3

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's pretty solid blue.

Very little to no red in channels 2-3
It seems to me that a plus of this light is that you can somehow change the color of the blue's am i correct? which you can't with the Redsea RL90. All the blue's are on one channel with that light. If you don't like the blues (because they are too purple for your taste) you can't change it.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me that a plus of this light is that you can somehow change the color of the blue's am i correct? which you can't with the Redsea RL90. All the blue's are on one channel with that light. If you don't like the blues (because they are too purple for your taste) you can't change it.
White channel, deep blue channel, intense blue channel and a weird green color balance channel.

There really isn't any way to add red tones.

Reefology1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the allocation of colour spectrum and the controller options. what worries me is the power supplies get super hot to the touch when the lights are running at 70% and I'm afraid I will have a problem with them if i take them up to 100%. I've only had them for a couple days. Has anyone else noticed this?

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are hot, but no problems if your lights are at 100%, adapters can take than amount of current and heat, beside that, there's two year warranty.

If u wanna ease your mind, you always can make some mount from piece of aluminium, or make some "enclosure" like pc power supply have, and mount 12v fan to keep them cooler. U can, but i believe its not necessary.

It seems that only light in this unit is channel 3, i believe that channel 2 and 4 serves only as minor adjustments of color of the light, they probably dont add much par.

But what about 1 channel, did anyone measure par readings on channel 1 only, is that channel also cosmetics, or reducing white channel affects par output more than it seems?

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Popbloom yesterday. The output dissapoints though for a 90 watt fixture? With a Kessil A360X (also 90 watt) i get 200 PAR at a certain distance with all channels @100%, with the Popbloom i get only 140 PAR.
What's going on here?

I noticed right away it's not as bright as the Kessil, and then start doing PAR readings.

Last edited:

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that this 60-ish PAR is hidden somewhere in that 250$ price difference.....;)

Kidding, but, there's really no way to compare performance with such price difference.....

In 50$ we can talk about why x is better or more powerfull than y, but, for price of one kessil one can get 3 of these, and then, looking at raw power, any single unit looses....

Kessil probably uses better leds, or lenses, or something, like someone mentioned, ch2 and ch4 puts very little par, so, basicaly, this is not 90w unit, maybe 60-70w range, if we simplify things to that level.

If u have par meter, can u please measure each channel separetely, with standard settings - 8inch above water and 24 inch depth? So we can better know what each channel par readings are....

Thanx!

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that this 60-ish PAR is hidden somewhere in that 250$ price difference.....;)

Kidding, but, there's really no way to compare performance with such price difference.....

In 50$ we can talk about why x is better or more powerfull than y, but, for price of one kessil one can get 3 of these, and then, looking at raw power, any single unit looses....

Kessil probably uses better leds, or lenses, or something, like someone mentioned, ch2 and ch4 puts very little par, so, basicaly, this is not 90w unit, maybe 60-70w range, if we simplify things to that level.

If u have par meter, can u please measure each channel separetely, with standard settings - 8inch above water and 24 inch depth? So we can better know what each channel par readings are....

Thanx!
It's back in the box already so can't help you with individual readings.
All 90 watt led fixtures should produce about the same light output, more or less in the same ballpark, but that's not the case here. 200 vs 140 is not the same ballpark. And Kessil is even known for not getting the most PAR out of that 90 watts.
If the Popbloom really consumes 90 watt power then it does something terribly wrong in the efficiency department. The energy must be lost somewhere else then (heat).

Someone who checked this light really consumes 90 watt? I have nothing to do that.

OP
OP
alain Bouchard

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just tested the power at AC power supply at 120.9vac and at 24.3vdc, direct at lamp. at ac power supply getting 79.218w, at lamp, at 24.3vdc, getting 79.128w. (all channels at 100%). so ,yeah, basically they are 80w lamp. But don't jump to conclusion, I am pretty sure all lamp manufacturer up mark their power. I can confirm that my 120w and 160w maxspect razor I had before were much lower then their rated power. IMA, being at a real measured 80w is very near the advertised 90w and is no way false advertising.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info, thanx!

Did u manage to set manual preset, or still using 4 season?

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a huge misstake during the PAR readings guys. I used the power supply of the Kessil on the Popbloom and got those low PAR readings i mentioned earlier.
Tonight i used it's own powersupply and PAR readings almost doubled, lol. It's around 30% HIGHER than the Kessil A360X now. :)

Sorry guys. Luckily i did a retest. ;)

Edit: now i have to check the powersupply of the Kessil, maybe it's not 100% anymore and also giving the Kessil not enough juice. I never run it at 100% and had enough PAR so i wouldn't notice.

Edit 2: connected the Kessil to the powersupply of the Popbloom but nothing changed, so both powersupplies are fine. It's just the Popbloom light which doesn't like the Kessil powersupply.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a huge misstake during the PAR readings guys. I used the power supply of the Kessil on the Popbloom and got those low PAR readings i mentioned earlier.
Tonight i used it's own powersupply and PAR readings almost doubled, lol. It's around 30% HIGHER than the Kessil A360X now. :)

Sorry guys. Luckily i did a retest. ;)

Edit: now i have to check the powersupply of the Kessil, maybe it's not 100% anymore and also giving the Kessil not enough juice. I never run it at 100% and had enough PAR so i wouldn't notice.

Edit 2: connected the Kessil to the powersupply of the Popbloom but nothing changed, so both powersupplies are fine. It's just the Popbloom light which doesn't like the Kessil powersupply.
Kessil ps is 19v... Popbloom is 36v...I think.
The Popbloom drivers could not reach their current setpoint due to too low of voltage.
Soo no surprise.
Only issue would be if the Kessil driver ic's couldn't handle 36v.. or any of the voltage regulators..
Glad the kessil went unscathed..

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what u are saying, rs90 is more powerfull than kessil?
Than the A360X yes.
The A360X is known for not being a PAR beast. Their strength is the shimmer, perfect color blending (you don't see color seperation on the sandbed) and the widest color spectrum of all LED's out there.

Last edited:

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I come to conclusion that 2xrs90 are too weak for my tank, based on eye only, dont have way to measure par, but tank looks too dim, corals are opened, but, i have feeling that this can be much better.

Now, your opinions..... diy frame to house 2x54w t5 plus existing rs90, or keep only led and add one more rs90?

I have feeling that combo is way to go, but maybe i'm wrong? Maybe actualy i have enough light? Hmmm....

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back