New Puffer Owner with many questions

AspenReign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I recently bought a Valentini puffer and put it in my cycled 30 gallon tank. Their parameters are:
1.025 salinity
Temp between 73-76 (it moves up and down on a set temp heater)
8ppm ph
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
5ppm nitrates

So, firstly I became worried this morning. I turned on the lights and the puffer was cuddled in a leaf, breathing a little heavy and not moving. I went to start a water change on break and he seemed to be doing much better. He's swimming (still hiding, but he's only been in there since Friday, so he's still very new to my care). Are these guys very slow to waking up? Do they sleep in such off positions? He was eating beautifully the night before, so I was so scared that something happened. But other than a little more hiding, he's acting normal. No longer breathing heavily and the fins are moving good.

Second question. He's the only fish in this tank and I was reading something about a protein skimmer. Is one needed for one pufferfish in a tank? I was reading that for one fish it may not be needed. But then some others said it was.

Third, I have read these guys can have other fish in the tank and have seen a list of fish that could be. Are a "buddy fish" needed for this species of puffer? Or are they good in a single tank?

I have done so much research with so many questions still. Can someone fill me in on the information gaps?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love me some puffers. My favorite fish.
Yes, they can look funny/off when waking.
They can be messy eaters so depending on the size of the tank, water changes, etc. need to be adjusted to the puffer's needs.
My last puffer hung out with a small clownfish.
They are amazingly smart fish. You can train it to eat out of your hand, just watch their sharp teeth LOL
Best of luck with your new buddy. Post a pic when you get a chance.

PS they love frozen clams on the half shell. The clam shells help with keeping the teeth ground to proper length so they can eat, without you having to clip the teeth manually.

Last edited:

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valentini puffers absolutely look dead when they're sleeping and aren't morning fish. I second all of this, and my Valentini was my favorite fish I've ever kept and it's not close.
They can be messy eaters so depending on the size of the tank, water changes, etc. need to be adjusted to the puffer's needs.
They are amazingly smart fish. You can train it to eat out of your hand, just watch their sharp teeth LOL

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So, I recently bought a Valentini puffer and put it in my cycled 30 gallon tank. Their parameters are:
1.025 salinity
Temp between 73-76 (it moves up and down on a set temp heater)
8ppm ph
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
5ppm nitrates

So, firstly I became worried this morning. I turned on the lights and the puffer was cuddled in a leaf, breathing a little heavy and not moving. I went to start a water change on break and he seemed to be doing much better. He's swimming (still hiding, but he's only been in there since Friday, so he's still very new to my care). Are these guys very slow to waking up? Do they sleep in such off positions? He was eating beautifully the night before, so I was so scared that something happened. But other than a little more hiding, he's acting normal. No longer breathing heavily and the fins are moving good.

Second question. He's the only fish in this tank and I was reading something about a protein skimmer. Is one needed for one pufferfish in a tank? I was reading that for one fish it may not be needed. But then some others said it was.

Third, I have read these guys can have other fish in the tank and have seen a list of fish that could be. Are a "buddy fish" needed for this species of puffer? Or are they good in a single tank?

I have done so much research with so many questions still. Can someone fill me in on the information gaps?
Sounds like sleep mode as they sleep curled up. As the light goes on, it starts to open up and goes to normal behavior. Keep an eye on it but should be fine.
Give it a variety of foods such as LRS nano frenzy, spirulina brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, TDO pellets

OP
OP
AspenReign

AspenReign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PS they love frozen clams on the half shell. The clam shells help with keeping the teeth ground to proper length so they can eat, without you having to clip the teeth manually.
This is Dr. Bubbles PoofenPudge He's been eating brine shrimp really well and we are getting him/her some clams later today cause it won't touch the snails I've been feeding. It's still a little shy, but I'm obsessed. Easily the coolest fish I have ever had. This is also my first full marine setup, so I'm checking parameters every day cause I'm worried.

Attachments

• PXL_20230121_173154948.jpg
    PXL_20230121_173154948.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 52

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost forgot, that square plastic perforated scoop works especially well on puffers. Using a traditional mesh net can be very tough on the fish and you as their skin grabs the netting and won't let go! Yikes!

OP
OP
AspenReign

AspenReign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost forgot, that square plastic perforated scoop works especially well on puffers. Using a traditional mesh net can be very tough on the fish and you as their skin grabs the netting and won't let go! Yikes!
Thanks for the information! That's super helpful.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back