New pygmy possum wrasse quarantine

30reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not too sure if this is the right spot for this post...
but my first fish is going to be a pygmy possum wrasse, and i would like to setup a quarantine tank for it.

i have: copper power, general cure, focus, seachem safe, selcon and garlic guard.

i will be also dipping the lil guy in safety spot before he goes into quarantine.

i understand that wrasses can be very sensitive to certain medication, just wondering if i am going a bit over board with anything?
am i missing anything in my process?

First week, will be general cure/focus... then copper for 2 weeks or so, do a 100% water change, then dose general cure again for one more week.
That should be 4 weeks in quarantine... killing just about anything but the fish. haha (lets hope)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wondering if i am going a bit over board with anything?

Yes IMO

If this is your first fish - IMO you do not need to set up a quarantine tank. Your main tank can serve as observation quarantine. I would not treat a possum wrasse prophylactic at all. This guys is sensitive - IMO your plan will kill it

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
30reefer

30reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if i do the safety stop dips, and put him in quarantine with no copper. Do observation for 2 weeks.
Then dose general cure for internal parasites, and observe for 2 more weeks.
I am just a bit paranoid about ich or velvet. From what i understand/read even healthy fish can carry ich and velvet, but not show any signs because how their immune system/slime coat is fighting them off.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m never treat any fish if there is no symptoms of a disease - and especially not fishes like possum wrasses. It is tricky enough to get these fishes to adapt in captivity - they need no extra stress. However - other people will advise you in a different way.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
30reefer

30reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, they are a very shy fish indeed. I will try to be as careful as possible to not add any more stress to the lil guy.
If anyone quietened a possum wrasse i would appreciate any tips/feedback.

He is most likely the shiest fish i am going to get, that is why he is going in first.

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm with Lasse on this one. I would first buy a healthy looking fish, then observe and treat accordingly if necessary? They may not eat prepared foods at first, so having a healthy supply of pods and micro fauna is a must. They will appreciate a good amount of live rock to hunt through. If it eats mysis, then you can use focus with either GC or metro to treat for internal parasites. Flukes would be the only other thing that I would be concerned about, but again, observation is key. Btw, Wetmorella's are one of my absolute favorite fish. In fact, their are two fish that I will always have in my tanks, a possum wrasse and a neon or sharknose goby.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two fish that I will always have in my tanks, a possum wrasse and a neon or sharknose goby.
For me - a possum wrasse and one Sun Burst Anthias :p and of some reason I do not know - a school of pyjamas cardinals always end up in my tanks

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
30reefer

30reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i def. will be getting a neon goby as my second fish! the 3rd fish would be a blue spotted jaw fish, then maybe a cardinal fish or a midas blenny most likely in that order.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back