New Quarantine Tank

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone !

I'm setting up new Reef tank ,
and I want to setup quarantine tank ,especially for the sps frags and for all new corals.
I have new cube tank , 50 cm of each side.
what is the recommend equipment for that tank ?
what is the dosing products that I will be using?
what lightning and aquascape do you recommend for that type of tank ?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For SPS only quarantining you don't need much. Just maintain parameters that match your display and have good water movement, heater, and do plenty of water changes. You can get more sophisticated about it but really not necessary just for quarantining. Dip with Coral RX and Bayer before placing in QT and, if you want, prior to placing in DT. As far as a QT for fish, there are a number of threads to follow for that.
Current Quarantine Protocol

OP
OP
Yanir34

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thaks
For SPS only quarantining you don't need much. Just maintain parameters that match your display and have good water movement, heater, and do plenty of water changes. You can get more sophisticated about it but really not necessary just for quarantining. Dip with Coral RX and Bayer before placing in QT and, if you want, prior to placing in DT. As far as a QT for fish, there are a number of threads to follow for that.
Current
thank you for your comment ! what about biological media ? and what do you mean "DT" ?
Current Quarantine Protocol

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much about Bio media for the duration of the quarantine, just do water changes and monitor. You would need life in there all the time and keep your QT going 100% of the time to keep the biomass alive anyways. you can always take a rock from your DT sump or other bio media kept in your DT sump and place it in your QT. Never mix fish and coral QTs.
DT=Display Tank.
QT=Quarantime Tank

PS- there is a like button... ;)

OP
OP
Yanir34

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much about Bio media for the duration of the quarantine, just do water changes and monitor. You would need life in there all the time and keep your QT going 100% of the time to keep the biomass alive anyways. you can always take a rock from your DT sump or other bio media kept in your DT sump and place it in your QT. Never mix fish and coral QTs.
DT=Display Tank.
QT=Quarantime Tank

DT=Display Tank.
QT=Quarantime Tank

thanks a lot !

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope it works out for you! Keep us posted.

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone !

I'm setting up new Reef tank ,
and I want to setup quarantine tank ,especially for the sps frags and for all new corals.
I have new cube tank , 50 cm of each side.
what is the recommend equipment for that tank ?
what is the dosing products that I will be using?
what lightning and aquascape do you recommend for that type of tank ?

Here is how I've set up my coral/invert QT 10g tank.

Heater, light (got a aquaknight A029, small powerhead, small HOB filter, and a digital temp probe.

I have some filter sponges in my sump that will have been there for 3 months collecting bacteria to combat amonia (cycle the tank) for my FISH QT. For my coral/inverts QT I have a decent size rock in my sump that has been there for months as well gathering bacteria. I'll place both these in the FISH QT and Coral/Invert QT about a week before adding anything and use Dr. Tim's Ammonia to dose and then test to see if the amonia is consumed by the bacteria back to zero before adding anything. Corals don't produce much ammonia, its more for fish and inverts and water changes would probably suffice fine. The reason I'm using a sponge instead of a rock for my fish QT is the meds used in the fish QT will permanently infiltrate the rock, the sponge I can clean or toss.

When you are ready to add corals and inverts, acclimate for temp and have salanity close, coral dip with something like coral RX, place in the QT, observe for 75 days. Watch for any parasites and hitchhikers like aiptasia. Coral dip again if you want, then place in DT (display tank). With inverts, same thing but skip the dips.

For fish there is another more complex protocol written up on here that involves copper and other treatments. Search for current qt protocol.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back