New Red Sea 170 g2 stand warping

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd want to redo it due to the amount of front panel split seam posts on that exact tank

It must not remain as is
This is not accurate. First and foremost, OP has a G2 stand and tank. The stand is marine-laminated plywood (upgrade over previous MDF). Second, the glass thickness has been increased. Third, the seams are now armored to prevent split seams. Fourth, I don't think the stand is sagging/deflecting. But ask Red Sea for a second opinion.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying this is a problem but did you make sure all of the cam locks holding the stand together were nice and tight before leveling it? A pre-assembled stand that uses cam locks to hold it together checking them would be the first thing to do before leveling it

ArielUnderwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure if this is an “emergency” per se…feel free correct me.

So i just bought my 170g2 approx 3 weeks ago.
Stand came pre built by Sea Level Aquariums in New jersey.

i installed cabinet lighting yesterday, and noticed as i sat in my chair, the center is deflecting down about 1mm.
the cross beam has a gap of about 1mm before touching the top, so it has allowed it to sag.

i emailed red sea for their advice, but it’s friday… so i probably will not get a response.

Is this as big of a nightmare as I think it is, or is this something that the tank can handle

0489A3E3-F86C-4B39-9FA0-3AFCAC4D9131.jpeg 82E61058-70D2-498F-9D06-C87E3DF91226.jpeg
Personally I would be considering building out a very very simple 4"x4" stand this weekend so you can get that happy off the original stand. It may last the weekend, it may not. How is your home insurance? Can you adjust things to lower the amount of water needed to run the tank with the overflow/sump sitch? I have never owned one of these systems. Reducing weight/force the water exerts on the glass is one of the only things you can do short term. I would get my brute tubs, fresh SW, and bubblers/wave makers ready to survive disaster. I don't trust pre built stands, period, and I love RS reef beat equipment but they have not the best tank build track record.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea stands are fairly well constructed. You don't need to build a new one. As I mentioned previously, you could drain the tank and take everything apart - but you may not find there are any issues with the stand.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back